Why Did Pittsburgh Draft Jordan Staal in 2006?

arsmaster*

Every pens fan is going to come on here saying he was the right pick, second line center on other teams, just hasn't broken out yet, kesler2.0, etc., despite staal being simply a great third line center.

Jordan Staal is 22 years old.

He is a 2nd line center.

I am a Canucks fan so if you want to compare him to Kesler.

At age 22, Ryan Kesler had 18 goals and 26 assists in 158 NHL games. Im not knocking Kesler here either, he is probably my favourite player in the league.

Jordan has 94 goals and 99 assists and a big shiny ring at age 22.

I think Pittsburgh is pretty happy with their pick.;)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Toews almost certainly would have played wing if he had been drafted by Pittsburgh.
And anyone watching him with NDak knows how he looked there. He couldn't even stop on his right foot back then. You could see the sense, hands and grit a mile away though.

At the time I was happy with any of those three but I badly wanted Backstrom. I thought that his sense was off the charts and that he was the one player that could center AO or play wing with Sid or Malkin.

I'm happy with Staal. He's not going to lead the team in scoring but I think of him as a Keith Primeau type. Sure he's not as physical or doesn't fight as much but neither was the Keith Primeau, the finished product. Hard to argue against the rookie year Staal had but I would have liked to have seen him go back to the Petes and become a team leader. I think the Pens developed Staal as a great third line center and thats just what they got. He doesn't push the offensive button as much as make the safe and smart play.

With hockey now a four line game that third line center role is just as important as having a great 2nd line center in the past. When the Pens are at their best Sid, Malkin and Staal all get about :20 mins a game... meaning that center quality almost never leaves the ice.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
If I remember correctly, Jordan Staal was a bit of a reach pick at number 2 by Pittsburgh in 2006. At the time, Toews, Kessel and Backstrom were ranked higher, I think. Without getting into a debate about whether it was the right pick, does anybody remember if they took him because they passed on Eric Staal in 2003? Remember, at the time Eric Staal was coming off a cup, and a 100 point season as a 21 year old, and Malkin hadn't arrived yet. So was there the sense that Jordan Staal was picked to correct for not taking Eric Staal?

Staal wasn't a reach at all. Most scouting services had him at #2 or #3 in the draft. It was pretty much a toss-up between him and Toews going #2.

Just my theory but I think the Penguins went with Staal because they felt he could provide them with something the others couldn't and since they already had Crosby and Malkin they didn't have to draft as much for offense. I would be curious to see the Penguins choice if they didn't have one or both of Crosby and Malkin.

Hindsite being 20/20 I am surprised Toews wasn't the run away consensus #1 pick. I just remember him having tons of hype going into the draft and he is basically everything everybody expected from him before he was drafted.

Toews has actually turned out better than most people have expected. His career numbers have been about what we all expected before the draft, but he's been more dominant down the middle and a better leader than most of us predicted.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
So how was Pittsburgh going to afford to keep Toews :help:

Everyone already whines and complains about how Pittsburgh has all these centers, but all of you wanted us to take two more centers?? :help:

Hypocrisy FTW!

Staal was the perfect pick. They had two superstars for the future. Staal gave them the player they needed to compliment their superstars. At 22 he's nearly got 200 total points playing on the third line with very little PP time, let alone time with any QUALITY players and has a Selke Trophy nomination to his resume.

I'd take Staal over Toews or Backstrom any day of the week. I'd definitely take him over Staal as well.

I don't see why it was such a bad choice. Pittsburgh doesn't win a cup without Staal. Plain and simple.

Lux Aurumque*

They should have traded the pick to Carolina for Jack Johnson.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
They probably had him as the BPA. Just a thought...

That's Shero's philosophy. He mentioned it when he traded Goligoski to Dallas. He said they will take the best prospect available because then you receive assets that end up giving flexibility to trade to help your weaknesses.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

Everyone already whines and complains about how Pittsburgh has all these centers, but all of you wanted us to take two more centers?? :help:

Hypocrisy FTW!

Staal was the perfect pick. They had two superstars for the future. Staal gave them the player they needed to compliment their superstars. At 22 he's nearly got 200 total points playing on the third line with very little PP time, let alone time with any QUALITY players and has a Selke Trophy nomination to his resume.

I'd take Staal over Toews or Backstrom any day of the week. I'd definitely take him over Staal as well.

I don't see why it was such a bad choice. Pittsburgh doesn't win a cup without Staal. Plain and simple.
If they take Toews over Staal, maybe they don't win in 2009... and maybe they win it last year, and in 2008 as well, or maybe they haven't won it at all. Nobody knows how it would turn out or how one player would affect the others.

Pens fan here and a huge fan of Staal, but in hindsightI would take Toews over Staal in a heartbeat. He likely would have developed differently, but I can't see him being anything other than a star whatever the situation.

Glad we got Jordan though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Imagine if we had to fit that under the salary cap. 6.3 would be a huge cap hit for a 3rd line center.

If he were playing sheltered, defensive 3rd line minutes in a 3rd line role he wouldn't have put up the numbers to command the $6.3 mil cap hit he currently sports.

Toews almost certainly would have played wing if he had been drafted by Pittsburgh.

One of those three would have likely moved to the wing for sure (IMO Malkin).

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I always found it interesting that they draft the uber hyped center Sidney Crosby and don't bother drafting around him. 9/10 times you draft bpa, but I'd throw that out the window if I had a piece like Crosby in the center position for possibly the next 20 years. At that point you look for players who could potentially mesh with him and ride shotgun.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Its obvious they saw the future and didnt want to be known as the "miami heat of the nhl". But seriously I think it was because they felt Staal better fitted their teams needs, and they got a cup out of it. If they had taken toews and the blackhawks took staal those players could have developed completely differently than they have.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Staal at #2 in 2006 was by no means a reach. Toews was generally considered to have more natural talent, but Staal had three inches and 20 lbs on him, which was a BIG difference at their ages.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Toews has actually turned out better than most people have expected. His career numbers have been about what we all expected before the draft, but he's been more dominant down the middle and a better leader than most of us predicted.

From my memory, whenever Toews name got mentioned for a year and a half leading up tot he draft, the word "leader" was usually included. I think it was more a case people were questioning his offensive ability more then anything

Given the situation the Penguins were in(ie Crosby and Malkin) I think they made the right choice but if it was any other team, I would say it was a bad pick.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I think it's a case of BPA.

In regards to the "Pens took Staal because they couldn't afford Toews" argument, are you people suggesting that the Pens purposely took Staal because they knew he would turn out worse than Toews, and therefore require less money?

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I don't think you can really say they made a bad decision with a Stanley Cup banner, I do remember him being a pretty good pick from my POV on draft day, they needed that big body that was willing to throw it around because Crosby and Malkin had the hands, Staal was just a physical force. I'll never forget that shorty against Detroit that swung the entire series around.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Staal at #2 in 2006 was by no means a reach. Toews was generally considered to have more natural talent, but Staal had three inches and 20 lbs on him, which was a BIG difference at their ages.

It surely doesn't hurt he is also a Staal brother.

In hindsight, they could have taken Toews but who is to say Toews would be putting up PPG playing on the 3rd line?

Staal fits in perfectly with the Penguins. He is just 22 years old and has had 3 40+ point season playing on the 3rd line with grinders. He is amazing defensively and he is perfect for the Penguins as he can shutdown other lines and provide secondary scoring. He was great for them when they won the Stanley Cup.

He's got potential to be a 60-70 point center and selke caliber.

Kessel or Toews could also been a great pick for the Penguins but Staal is a great one as well. I'd think every team except maybe the Blues are happy with their selection.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

Hypocrisy FTW!

It's unlikely that Toews or Backstrom would have had the success with Pittsburgh that they have had with their current teams....the center depth in Pittsburgh would have prevented either from getting the minutes they did. That being said, they would probably be able to afford either of those players for about the same cost as it will cost them to keep Staal....

No saying that staal was a bad pick, but those other two could fill the 3rd line Center role better than Staal IMO.

That being said -- the Staal pick gets second guessed more than any other recent high draft pick -- every team would have things that they would do things differently in hind sight...

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Pittsburgh thought he was their BPA, Eric Staal may have influenced them in the pick though. I doubt they cared about what position he was.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Hypocrisy FTW!

C'mon buddy.

Toews is versatile enough to play any forward position. He could have been that great winger paired with Crosby or Malkin, or played 3rd line center when needed. He's basically just as good as Staal defensively.....he's simply a better player than Staal.

If salary cap is an issue, trade Toews for Staal + more.

Penguins supporters may be happy with the pick, but, in hindsight, saying it was the best pick is....:help:

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
In hindsight, Toews and Backstrom would've been better picks from an offensive perspective, but he's not a bad pick because he's become so good defensively.

As far as Kessel, I'd take Staal every day of the week over such a one-dimensional player (with a questionable attitude).

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
From my memory, whenever Toews name got mentioned for a year and a half leading up tot he draft, the word "leader" was usually included. I think it was more a case people were questioning his offensive ability more then anything

Given the situation the Penguins were in(ie Crosby and Malkin) I think they made the right choice but if it was any other team, I would say it was a bad pick.

I agree, Toews was always considered to have leadership qualities before his draft. What I meant to say was that he's turned out to be an even better leader than expected.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
If I remember correctly, Jordan Staal was a bit of a reach pick at number 2 by Pittsburgh in 2006. At the time, Toews, Kessel and Backstrom were ranked higher, I think. Without getting into a debate about whether it was the right pick, does anybody remember if they took him because they passed on Eric Staal in 2003? Remember, at the time Eric Staal was coming off a cup, and a 100 point season as a 21 year old, and Malkin hadn't arrived yet. So was there the sense that Jordan Staal was picked to correct for not taking Eric Staal?

Here's the site of the ranking way back then (TSN)

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Hopefully it help but I believe that is last name help him get drafted 2nd overall.
But I believe Pittsburgh made the right pick he's a amazing defensive player that is able to play pk or pp. The question is would they of won the cup with out Jordan Staal. Would they won the cup with Toews or Backstrom?

nags

Sep 27, 2006
And anyone watching him with NDak knows how he looked there. He couldn't even stop on his right foot back then. You could see the sense, hands and grit a mile away though.

At the time I was happy with any of those three but I badly wanted Backstrom. I thought that his sense was off the charts and that he was the one player that could center AO or play wing with Sid or Malkin.

I'm happy with Staal. He's not going to lead the team in scoring but I think of him as a Keith Primeau type. Sure he's not as physical or doesn't fight as much but neither was the Keith Primeau, the finished product. Hard to argue against the rookie year Staal had but I would have liked to have seen him go back to the Petes and become a team leader. I think the Pens developed Staal as a great third line center and thats just what they got. He doesn't push the offensive button as much as make the safe and smart play.

With hockey now a four line game that third line center role is just as important as having a great 2nd line center in the past. When the Pens are at their best Sid, Malkin and Staal all get about :20 mins a game... meaning that center quality almost never leaves the ice.

Couldn't stop on his right side? I hope you were trying to be funny. Toews at 17 was absolutely amazing at UND, particularly when Hakstol finally realized he was a natural centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad