Why Did Kovalchuk Go Back To Russia?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does anybody remember why Ilya Kovalchuk decided to just up and go home in the middle of his prime? Seemed like a curious decision at the time and that at some point he would return to the NHL.

Now that he's making his way back it seems like he just sort of wasted five years of his career to toil in an inferior league for no discernible reason.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I dont think the real reason ever came out. Im sure there was much more behind the scenes that we were not made aware of. Bit it was odd for sure. Right after the cup run too

Reactions: TychoFan

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It was a mix of things:

- Wanting to be in his home country with his family.

- The grind and travel associated with the NHL compared to the NHL.

- Money.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
It was a mix of things:

- Wanting to be in his home country with his family.

- The grind and travel associated with the NHL compared to the NHL.

- Money.

He was set to make like $55 million over the next 5 years in the NHL when he left

Reactions: Peanut

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
We'll never really know how much money he made in Russia. But with no taxes, and oligarchs paying big money , to think he wasn't approaching his NHL take home pay.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Was there not a report that after the 2012 lockout Kovalchuk didn't want to come back to the NHL and it's why he eventually "retired" so he could go back to Russia.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Boy would this post look silly if it comes out that he went back for some family thing. Family >>>> Anything.
Sure.... but i don't think that's why he did. Even if he did he signed a contract and that's a shitty thing to do by bailing out of it.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
If I'm not mistaken there was a report the Devils were in significant financial trouble. Coincidentally, a couple of days / weeks later, Kovy and the Devils agreed to mutually terminate the contract? A lot of people wondered what the real story was, as the timing was odd to say the least.

I might be wrong? Any devils fans know if this is semi accurate?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
There were two main aspects - He went back to play in Russia during the 2012 lockout and enjoyed his time there. He did not want to leave and Lou was able to convince him to return for the 2nd half of the season. He still wanted to go back after the season though and retired.

He also kinda got cheated with money. He was unhappy with the players' association with regards to the lockout and with the large escrow payments (He made more money in KHL because of this) he had to make leading up to his retirement. It was also never part of the discussion but his contract was intentionally structured so that he got the highest annual salary during the lockout year with the expectation that it would never be paid out. The first two years were at only $6 mil but then jumped to $11.5 during the lockout year. This is why the Devils have such a low recapture penalty.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sure.... but i don't think that's why he did. Even if he did he signed a contract and that's a ****ty thing to do by bailing out of it.

From what I have read, during the lockout, he played at home and wanted to stay there, but he had to come back but later after talking to Lou who reportedly did know that Kovalchuk's desire at the time was to be back home, decided to go back forgoing 77m for 12yrs of a contract.

He wanted to go back home, I don't think you can fault that. Also the fact that Lou did know, people make it out like he just woke up one day and said see ya, but the GM knew, the year before.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If I'm not mistaken there was a report the Devils were in significant financial trouble. Coincidentally, a couple of days / weeks later, Kovy and the Devils agreed to mutually terminate the contract? A lot of people wondered what the real story was, as the timing was odd to say the least.

I might be wrong? Any devils fans know if this is semi accurate?

It is. The whole thing was orchestrated just as much by the Devils as it was by Kovalchuk himself. Especially with Vanderbeek in the midst of trying to sell the franchise.

The contract would have been an anchor considering Kovalchuks contract was worth like 30-35% of what the Devils were sold for.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I'm sure it has something to do with the two Olympic games that have been held since and [redacted]

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
the owners were trying to sell the team, and that contact was so obstreperous it was impeding negotiations.

thankfully kovy was willing to play ball, he didn't need much convincing to decide his bearish heart could only call Mother Russia home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad