WJC: Why did Finland win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Basic idea of this thread is to analyze why and how Finland managed to win against so stacked teams. The important thing here is, that Finland faced and won all the best teams on their way to the championship, except for USA.

Catches for better minds and writers.

- How Important was Teuvo Teräväinen doind so well, compared to the lackluster year he has had in FEL (Liiga)
- Does stopping pucks in adults league help young Finnish goaltenders like Saros in "pressure" games?
- Rasmus Ristolainen, total meltdown against Czhecs, Great game against Canada and Sweden. How does this reflect into his NHL future?
- Karri Kivi said he had different gameplan against each team. Finland generally plays a rather monolithic teamgame always, which has been rather succesful in covering our shortage in elite talent. Did Kivi outcoach everyone as it seems? When will Team Canada realize that hasbeen NHL coaches aren't that great in international tourneys?
- Fans, why did all the Canadians in Malmö cheer for Swedan? I won't forget this, it means war. :P

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
1288639433995.jpg

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Finns played like men. Final game was not great but they just shut down the center and let swedes run in corners. Swedes didn't have single breakaway or 2 vs 1, not much good chances either.

member 151739

Saros, Teravainen, Ristolainen, and a lot of heart and determination.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Only got to watch the gold medal game, so I can only speak to why they beat the Swedes, but they got great goaltending and did and excellent job of converting their chances. They were also incredibly disciplined defensively and gave up very few odd man rushes/good chances despite getting out-possessed badly.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Basic idea of this thread is to analyze why and how Finland managed to win against so stacked teams. The important thing here is, that Finland faced and won all the best teams on their way to the championship, except for USA.

Catches for better minds and writers.

- How Important was Teuvo Teräväinen doind so well, compared to the lackluster year he has had in FEL (Liiga)
- Does stopping pucks in adults league help young Finnish goaltenders like Saros in "pressure" games?
- Rasmus Ristolainen, total meltdown against Czhecs, Great game against Canada and Sweden. How does this reflect into his NHL future?
- Karri Kivi said he had different gameplan against each team. Finland generally plays a rather monolithic teamgame always, which has been rather succesful in covering our shortage in elite talent. Did Kivi outcoach everyone as it seems? When will Team Canada realize that hasbeen NHL coaches aren't that great in international tourneys?
- Fans, why did all the Canadians in Malmö cheer for Swedan? I won't forget this, it means war. :P

Finland had a better goalie and a better defence. Finland made no obvious mistakes.
On the other hand Sweden would have won this type of game 9 times out of 10.
It was simply Finlands day this time.
Heroic battles sometimes payes off, Even if you're facing a better team. Finland had the Bounce Gods on their side today!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Simply put:

-The best goalie.
-The best coach by a mile. Kivi truly knew how to get everything out of what he had.

The rest of the team was good too. Not as stacked as the rest, but with those two things on their side it was enough to make the difference this time around. There was just enough individuals with the necessary skill in them to bury their chances after Saros shut the doors.

And I mean this as the story of the tournament in general, not just the final game.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg

They did loose to Sweden 4-2 It was the second game between those two. But I guess the Finns played good when they needed to.

I dont mean that Sweden didnt play good Im fine with how Sweden played just couldnt capitalize, Finns did a good job of keeping Sweden on the outside even tho I thought we could've got some better shots of a few times.

Also I think Finland was as motivated as you could be, playing Swedes on home ice in the final for Gold.

EDIT: The best goaltender of the tournament probably helped to.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
They did loose to Sweden 4-2 It was the second game between those two. But I guess the Finns played good when they needed to.

I dont mean that Sweden didnt play good Im fine with how Sweden played just couldnt capitalize, Finns did a good job of keeping Sweden on the outside even tho I thought we could've got some better shots of a few times.

Also I think Finland was as motivated as you could be, playing Swedes on home ice in the final for Gold.

EDIT: The best goaltender of the tournament probably helped to.

Dansk? I guess he did help.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Coach and goalie, that is it.

Sweden had the best skaters, no doubt and the future will tell. Well there is a bias in my statement (but being from Jämtland I am more Norwegian anyway) but Finland won so it is still a fact that they won - duh.

So my take is that with switched goalies (at the end at least) there would have been no Finnish goal (Dansk =/= to Swedish anyway). :sarcasm:

With knowledges of how the game played out I would as the Swedish coach have let the Finns played it out and go for the counter-attack more as Sweden. I lacked the reaction on the game from the Swedish coaching staff. But they usually suck no matter the level (yes Hardy, BÃ…G and MÃ¥rts, I am looking at you!).

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yea he Did help Sweden in this tournament great goaltender for sure but the thread was about why Finland won the tournament.

Finland had the best goaltender in this tournament then probably Russia then Sweden in my opinion.

I'm sorry, I'm being an ass, because we won and I'm drunk.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Luckily is national holiday tomorrow and we can be drunk @4 am on a Sunday night

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The all out buy in, to play an all out trapping system for the entire tournament. They did it, to win the gold medal, and they deserve it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Great defensive effort all around.

It's incredible they managed to keep this offensively stacked Sweden team to 0 ES goals in this game.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
One thing I really liked about Finland which was lacking with my team (Canada) is that their defensemen never panicked. They wouldn't rush or force a play in their own end. They made short passes, tape to tape and began their breakout. It was really great teamwork.

Another thing that stood out for me was not just Finland blocking a lot of shots, but the way they blocked shots. They always, 10 times out of 10 had their sticks in perfect position ready to deflect or intercept the opposition's plays and shots. Some people may not find Finland exciting but I personally enjoyed watching their game, they executed the fundamentals to a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad