Why did Erik Karlsson's NHL career tap/top'd out at 27?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
He was the first NHL player in history to have that procedure done on his ankle.

he'll never have that mobility and ability control the pace and his speed back.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Toll on his body would be the number one reason. His game is skating and his injuries have not helped. Older you get the harder it is to recover as well. He'll never be as good as he was before the injuries but he's far from done if he can get healthy again.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Brian Leetch and Paul Coffey both had similar aging curves. I think he burned himself out in the 2017 playoffs. He had a lot of injuries that never healed/rehabbed completely before returning to the ice, that adds up once youthful engery fades.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Karlsson’s greatest on ice attribute is his skating. Just about every injury he has had in his career is one that has had a detrimental effect on that ability. f***ing shame because he was an incredible skater.

Karlsson is still immensely talented in many other areas so no way he’s “done”.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He has always been a mess in his own zone. He was playing for a team that had no expectations on him to actually defend. I doubt san jose gives him that freedom.

He was always the go to guy in ottawa when they were in an offensive situation. That led him to having the most PP toi per game by a wide margin. The only one in the league to have more than 4 mins per game from 12/13 to the end of his time on ottawa. Then he goes to san jose and gets 3 mijutes. Hes sharing time with burns for these things.

I said from the start burns and karlsson probably would take a hit in priduction playing for the same team. I got some sharks fans angrily replying theyd score more playing together. There is only so much prime offensive TOI to go around. I said theyd probably be in the 60 point range each. They marginally beat 120 points together last year and were going to fall way way short this year.

If Erik Karlsson ever hits 80 points again, he will have to be traded to a team without another star offensive dman, that plays him over 4 minutes a game on the PP and 25ish minutes total, that allows him the freedom to play nothing but offense, paying no attention to defense.

In short, not gonna happen.

As a side note, its a great case to point to when fans of bad teams say "if he had better linemates he would score even more". Its not that simple.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think injuries took a toll on his skating, but I don’t think he’s done by any means.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets back to 60+ point form next season. He may have lost a step with age, but he still has a great mind for the game. Definite hall of famer.

Look forward to watching the rest of his career in San Jose.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He has always been a mess in his own zone. He was playing for a team that had no expectations on him to actually defend. I doubt san jose gives him that freedom.

He was always the go to guy in ottawa when they were in an offensive situation. That led him to having the most PP toi per game by a wide margin. The only one in the league to have more than 4 mins per game from 12/13 to the end of his time on ottawa. Then he goes to san jose and gets 3 mijutes. Hes sharing time with burns for these things.

I said from the start burns and karlsson probably would take a hit in priduction playing for the same team. I got some sharks fans angrily replying theyd score more playing together. There is only so much prime offensive TOI to go around. I said theyd probably be in the 60 point range each. They marginally beat 120 points together last year and were going to fall way way short this year.

If Erik Karlsson ever hits 80 points again, he will have to be traded to a team without another star offensive dman, that plays him over 4 minutes a game on the PP and 25ish minutes total, that allows him the freedom to play nothing but offense, paying no attention to defense.

In short, not gonna happen.

As a side note, its a great case to point to when fans of bad teams say "if he had better linemates he would score even more". Its not that simple.

You were already proven wrong when Burns hit 83 points and Karlsson went on that nasty tear where he was only 2nd to Kucherov in points.

But sure keep making things up. That seems to be your thing.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised to see San Jose make a come back next season. They are going to have a very long offseason to heal up injuries and rest up. They might not be toast just yet.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You were already proven wrong when Burns hit 83 points and Karlsson went on that nasty tear where he was only 2nd to Kucherov in points.

But sure keep making things up. That seems to be your thing.

So "went on a tear" equates to an 80 point season? LOL.

And now a season neither may have 50?

Seems pretty much exactly like i said. Im not making anything up, those are stats...

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
So "went on a tear" equates to an 80 point season? LOL.

And now a season neither may have 50?

Seems pretty much exactly like i said. Im not making anything up, those are stats...

What? Burns put up 83 points and Karlsson was on pace for 70 points despite his slow start. WHILE ON THE SAME TEAM.

You're blatantly making things up and it's why no one takes you seriously.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
What? Burns put up 83 points and Karlsson was on pace for 70 points despite his slow start. WHILE ON THE SAME TEAM.

You're blatantly making things up and it's why no one takes you seriously.

oh great!!! on pace for!!!!

i haven't made a single thing up. I quoted his PP TOI, that's a hard fact. I posted Burns and Karlsson's total points, those are not made up, they're hard facts. Both this year and last.

Exactly what was made up?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
85 points in 109 games for San Jose, injuries haven’t helped and losing a child sure didn’t help.
Dirte has hated him since he joined the league, he makes up crap constantly that is always BS, but don’t say anything about his/her Leafs. Say something about Leafs and it’s all about points per games played stat.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
oh great!!! on pace for!!!!

i haven't made a single thing up. I quoted his PP TOI, that's a hard fact. I posted Burns and Karlsson's total points, those are not made up, they're hard facts. Both this year and last.

Exactly what was made up?

Yea he was on pace for 70 points which is close to his career average and likely would have finished with more as he always plays better in the second half.

Btw if you include his playoffs Karlsson finished with 61 points in 72 games. While Brent Burns had the highest scoring defenceman season in 20 years?

So how are you not making things up?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yea he was on pace for 70 points which is close to his career average and likely would have finished with more as he always plays better in the second half.

Btw if you include his playoffs Karlsson finished with 61 points in 72 games. While Brent Burns had the highest scoring defenceman season in 20 years?

So how are you not making things up?

I stated hard facts. End of story. You can argue with it all you want. In the end theyre stats and nhl.com saysbtheyre not made up.

Im done with you.

Reactions: Voight

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Injuries?
Not good enough anymore?
Mental issues?; couldn't get his head straight after a very very
sad event in his personal life (2018).

Why Erik Karlsson isn't Erik Karlsson anymore?

For example, he has never been great in his own end,
thou, perhaps... somewhat underrated in that department (every now and then).
These days,.... dude is a total mess in his own end
plus, his offensive portion of his game, has declined

Or.....do fans (Sharks fans, maybe others) really believe that he can still bounce back?
- everything cannot be explained with injuries you know

PS. His last Norris is from 2014-2015 season

I think Melnyk has evidence that it's all Matt Cooke's fault.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I stated hard facts. End of story. You can argue with it all you want. In the end theyre stats and nhl.com saysbtheyre not made up.

Im done with you.

Incredible you can look at cold hard facts that dispute your claim yet you still think you're right.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Injuries. He's had some truly dominant stretches in SJ where he looks like the best d-man in the world again. Beyond that, I'd say a tumultuous few years may be weighing on his mind. He absolutely can rebound and the Sharks have put their eggs in his basket. I hope he rebounds.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Im done with you.

ok, I’ll start then.

It’s incredibly disingenuous to post 50 points and mock “on pace for 70 points” in a shortened season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad