Why did Cam Neely make it and Lindros not?

BamBamCam*

Not that he would want me to go there, but Bourque is another player that my friend Lafleurs Guy thinks is a bit overrated...

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Funny, how rivalries will taint your rational thinking.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Anyone who changes the game should be in the HHOF. And Lindros did just that. Teams in the East started getting bigger and bigger defense to battle him. He changed the definition of a power forward.

But because of his parents, people will snob him...

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Not that he would want me to go there, but Bourque is another player that my friend Lafleurs Guy thinks is a bit overrated...

My only knock on Bourque is that he never won a cup, it was handed to him. Colorado was stacked and would have won it regardless. But he was a great player for a very long time.

BamBamCam*

My only knock on Bourque is that he never won a cup, it was handed to him. Colorado was stacked and would have won it regardless. But he was a great player for a very long time.

Right, even though Bourque finished with the same amount of points as Blake and was +25 for the year, which was 22 more than Blake who was only +3 for the year.

Bourque was also 9th in the NHL in TOI with 26:05 and Blake was 3rd with 27:45 but somehow Bourque was just handed a Cup.

BamBamCam*

Playoff wise during the Cup year-

Blake and Bourque both had the same average TOI per game on the PP with 5:29 and 5:17 respectively.

On the PK Bourque led Colorado defenceman with 4:01 TOI and the next Colorado player was Adam Foote at 3:29 and Blake was 2:43.

And 5 on 5 play both Blake and Bourque averaged close to an astounding 30 minutes apiece. When you are on the ice that much....you are contributing to your team.

I have no idea why revisionists try to discount how much Bourque contributed to the Aves during his time there.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Right, even though Bourque finished with the same amount of points as Blake and was +25 for the year, which was 22 more than Blake who was only +3 for the year.

Bourque was also 9th in the NHL in TOI with 26:05 and Blake was 3rd with 27:45 but somehow Bourque was just handed a Cup.

i don't think it's fair to compare bourque and blake's +/- stats being that blake was in LA until the deadline.

but i certainly agree with your main point, bourque was a huge part of that avs team. re: the allegation that they would have won without him, the almost exact same team -- plus a healthy forsberg in playoffs -- didn't win the following year, after bourque had retired, did they?

and let us not forget that raymond was a first team all-star his final year.

BamBamCam*

i don't think it's fair to compare bourque and blake's +/- stats being that blake was in LA until the deadline.

but i certainly agree with your main point, bourque was a huge part of that avs team. re: the allegation that they would have won without him, the almost exact same team -- plus a healthy forsberg in playoffs -- didn't win the following year, after bourque had retired, did they?

and let us not forget that raymond was a first team all-star his final year.

Apologies, I didn't know that. I moved to the West Coast almost 20 years ago but I rarely pay attention to the goings on of the Western Conference. Not to say I totally neglect it but I tend to forget what happens in the West.

Anyways, yes, my point is there and you can ignore the +/- and look at the rest.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire

:facepalm:

Ray was a huge part of that team. A 1st team all-star. Second on the team in TOI, and scored, and assisted, on a few different game winning goals during the playoff run.....

....I can hardly believe I am dignifying this idiocy with a reply.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
:facepalm:

Ray was a huge part of that team. A 1st team all-star. Second on the team in TOI, and scored, and assisted, on a few different game winning goals during the playoff run.....

....I can hardly believe I am dignifying this idiocy with a reply.

I'm not saying he wasn't good, I'm just saying they would have won regardless. I don't like the fact he jumped to a winning team to win the cup because he never got one in Boston. Players doing that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

But...back to the Lindros topic...

Prophecy35

Dec 9, 2009
This thread is de-railing fast. Circular arguments on both sides, with no sign of a possible resolution. Can't we just all get along? :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Neely has received Hart Trophy votes, unlike Anderson, Gartner, or Robitaille, more than Kurri, Mullen, or Ciccarelli. If he had a healthy, Hull-like season with Oates he could've contended for it, but thats not what I took MVP as when I replied.

Neely was the best forward on his team until Oates arrived, by then his hip was cooked. He carried his teams offensively, he had two dominant playoff runs in 90 and 91 where he was certainly their MVP. MVP of the league? No. We might be talking Conn Smythe if he doesn't get cheap shotted during that playoff run, he was close to the record for goals while still in the Conference Finals.
That's the problem right there... IF... Might've been... Could've been... His hip was hurt...

Tim Kerr was a monster in the playoffs. He might've won the Conn Smythe in '87 IF he didn't get hurt. The Flyers were damn close and he might've put them over the top. Does he get credit for this too?

Again, I agree. Neely had HOF talent. But two playoff runs is not that great in the grand scheme of things. Again, his totals just aren't there.
Look at you throwing fuel to the fire... I thought we were friends! :laugh:

My good friend 70s is right in so far that I don't see Bourque as a top ten player of all time and others do. If I remember correctly that's what that debate was about. So if by overrated you mean I don't see him as a top ten player all-time then yes guilty as charged. I still thought Bourque was awesome. I have no problem with him in the top 20. He was wicked. As for where he belongs... save it for another thread.

And uh, Seventies... don't do that again. :)

Last edited:

BamBamCam*

I'm not saying he wasn't good, I'm just saying they would have won regardless. I don't like the fact he jumped to a winning team to win the cup because he never got one in Boston. Players doing that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

The horrible state of the Bruins in 1999 dictated he be moved to try to win something. All he accomplished, he deserved a shot at winning. As far as they were going to win it without him. We both tried to show you how much he impacted the Avs that year in the regular and post season. The next year with essentially the same team minus Bourque lost to Detroit in the playoffs, so it is too hard to say how the Cup year would have gone considering how much Bourque did for Colorado.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Very debatable whether Colorado wins without Bourque. Bourque was not just a hanger-on he played 30 minutes a night at an All-Star level of play.

He may have changed teams but he HELPED WIN the Cup. He EARNED it he did not just go to a good team at the end of his career after he was washed up.

Regardless Bourque and Neely were AMAZING in the playoffs EVERY SEASON in Boston. It can not be held against Bourque that he did not win a Cup in Boston or against Neely. Both were proven playoff monsters every season.

Edgeworth*

Instead of making a new thread I could just ask it here.

Is there any chance of Clark getting in? Besides pure Leaf homerism he did have good point totals with a career high 47 goals and 76 points in '93-'94 along with 20 points in 21 games in the 93 playoffs. Not to mention how popular he was and how good of a captain he was..will he ever get in or is he negligible?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Instead of making a new thread I could just ask it here.

Is there any chance of Clark getting in? Besides pure Leaf homerism he did have good point totals with a career high 47 goals and 76 points in '93-'94 along with 20 points in 21 games in the 93 playoffs. Not to mention how popular he was and how good of a captain he was..will he ever get in or is he negligible?

If Wendel Clark gets in the Hall, I stop watching hockey. Doesn't have the numbers, doesn't have the cups, doesn't have awards.

I still can't get over how ridiculous it is to even suggest Clark as a HoF possibility. If Stephane Richer doesn't get in (and he won't), no way in hell Clark even gets a nomination.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah, wendel Clark might get his jersey retired or honored or whatever, but I doubt he gets any hhof votes, despite the number of Toronto homers on the committee.

It would be like Trevor Linden or Ken Daneyko being inducted. Great character guys who meant a ton to their respective franchises. But not really close to being Hall of Famers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad