Why did Cam Neely make it and Lindros not?

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
First of all, Neely wasn't that dominant. He wasn't a Lindros type guy or a Forsberg type guy. As pointed out he doesn't crack the top five during his career and probably doesn't even make the top ten. Combine that with the low totals, it makes absolutely no sense to let this guy in.
You're comparing him to centers and that doesn't work unless you want the Hall to be 90% centers.

Moreover, dominance is fine, but you can't just point to a handful of seasons (where the guy wasn't even best at his own position) and say HOF. Neely wasn't near the level of a Messier or an Yzerman. He's not nearly as dominant as his supporters try to make him out to be. And if he doesn't have the totals and he isn't that dominant, why is he there to begin with?
Again with the centers. Neely was among the top 2 at his position 4 times. He was 2nd to Brett Hull twice, Hakan Loob once, and Pavel Bure once. How many people have been a 2nd team All Star while only playing 49 games?

You're making my case for me. With Neely you have to compare him to the absolute worst inductees for it to make even a hint of sense. Do I think Gillies or Anderson should've gotten in? Probably not but at the very least those guys were both key parts of team dynasties that won multiple cups. Neely never won anything and had a much shorter career than either one of them. None of those guys should get in and neither should Mullen. Putting Neely in only makes things worse.
How dare I compare Neely to people who were actually inducted into the Hall instead of using your arbitrary standard.

Here are the last 10 NHL wingers inducted into the Hall.

Ciccarelli
Robitaille
Hull
Anderson
Duff
Neely
Gillies
Kurri
Gartner
Mullen

I would place Neely at least in the middle of the pack in this group. I go back to my point about great players vs great careers, some of those guys had better careers but many just weren't as good as Neely was, and most of them are his contemporaries.

Kurri had 5 selections (2 1st, 3 2nd), Hull had 3 selections (all 1st), Gillies had two (1st's), Mullen had one (1st). Anderson, Gartner, and Ciccarelli were never post season All Stars. The only eligible forwards with multiple selections since 1980 who aren't in, are Simmer, Tonelli, Stevens, Mogilny, LeClair, and Lindros. They all had two each and only Mogilny was a RW. Neely has 4.

I consider Gartner a special case because his unique longevity could be considered HoF worthy in and of itself, though he was never really an elite player at any given time.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wish we had arbitrary thresholds like that so Dale Hunter could be a HHOFer and Bobby Orr would not be! ;)
Well, let's induct Wendel Clark then. He was a great before he got hurt. And while we're at it, let's include Pelle Lindbergh too.
And even if that happens, so what? Do you think Beliveau or Howe give a damn that Clark Gillies or Dino Ciccarelli are in the Hall? Reality is that voters won't purely go by stats but have their own ideas about what counts and if they sometimes induct someone you don't care for, well that's not a big deal, is it?
Howe has actually made comments about this in the past and been outspoken in his criticism, so yes it does bother him. Esposito has gone so far as to say on getting in: "It wasn't that big a deal to me because I feel there are some players in the Hall who shouldn't be there, and as a result it sort of cheapens it for everyone."

So yes, those players do care and so do a lot of the fans who actually care about the integrity of the game and it's history.
If the Hall is mainly there to preserve the history and memory of the game for future generations then it doesn't hurt anyone to err on the side of too many inductees. Cam Neely was a great player and a great story, I doubt kids walk through the Hall and think "gee what does this guy do here? he doesn't even have a 1000 points.."
You can ask Phil Esposito about that. I certainly agree with him on that point.
One question I've asked on nearly every page in this thread that has yet to be addressed is this:

Neely was a four time All-Star Right Wing. Every four time All-Star right wing in NHL history is in the Hall.
What is it that Neely's detractors believe separates him from every other one?

The answer of course is; nothing.

Thus the question is continually ignored.
You've been asked several times to tell us who those players are. The only one who is ignoring anyone is you.

By all means, tell us who those players are we'd love to see it. We've only been asking you for two pages now.
You're comparing him to centers and that doesn't work unless you want the Hall to be 90% centers.
I'm comparing him to centers, goalies and defensemen. I couldn't care less if he's a winger. If more centers get in, so be it. There was a time in hockey where all the best players (Richard, Howe, Geoffrion) were all right wingers. Now it's gone the other way...

We shouldn't induct mediocre inductees because they played on the wing. If there weren't great wingers in that era, just induct fewer of them. It will come back around the other way down the road...
Again with the centers. Neely was among the top 2 at his position 4 times. He was 2nd to Brett Hull twice, Hakan Loob once, and Pavel Bure once.
The guy lost out to freakin' Hakan Loob and we're debating him as a HOF'er?
How many people have been a 2nd team All Star while only playing 49 games?
How many people had Adam Oates passing them the puck? He never comes close to the gpg pace without him.
How dare I compare Neely to people who were actually inducted into the Hall instead of using your arbitrary standard.
If you're interested in higher standards you should check out this site: http://www.chidlovski.com/wwhhof/index.htm
It's just a fan site but it's an attempt to get the HOF into a higher standard of player. They eliminate the Neelys and players of his ilk who don't belong. You don't have to agree with anything on this but for fun you might want to check it out:

Here are the last 10 NHL wingers inducted into the Hall.
Ciccarelli
Robitaille
Hull
Anderson
Duff
Neely
Gillies
Kurri
Gartner
Mullen
Robitaille, Hull and Kurri are all sure fire HOF players. Ciccarelli and Gartner are borderline. Anderson probably shouldn't be in.

Duff, Gillies and Neely definitely shouldn't be in.

I also think it's pretty funny that you're saying that wingers are in general weaker than centers and yet Neely wasn't ever able to be best at his own position because he was being outplayed by Hakan Loob.
I would place Neely at least in the middle of the pack in this group. I go back to my point about great players vs great careers, some of those guys had better careers but many just weren't as good as Neely was, and most of them are his contemporaries.
Even if he is middle of the pack, the group he belongs to doesn't really belong there anyway.
Kurri had 5 selections (2 1st, 3 2nd), Hull had 3 selections (all 1st), Gillies had two (1st's), Mullen had one (1st). Anderson, Gartner, and Ciccarelli were never post season All Stars. The only eligible forwards with multiple selections since 1980 who aren't in, are Simmer, Tonelli, Stevens, Mogilny, LeClair, and Lindros. They all had two each and only Mogilny was a RW. Neely has 4.

I consider Gartner a special case because his unique longevity could be considered HoF worthy in and of itself, though he was never really an elite player at any given time.
By listing the players that you have above, you continue to make my case. Why are so many of these guys in there?

Gartner and Ciccarelli were both very good for a long time. Both have 7-9 seasons of 40+ goals and some with 50+. I don't think they're first ballot guys but they probably belong. Other than the blue chippers though I don't know why they put in guys like Joe Mullen. Joe Mullen was also very good but he's not HOF material either.

I figure that Anderson and Gillies got in because the voters figured that they were key parts of dynasty teams. Personally I don't think that should get you in (ditto with Steve Shutt) but I'm assuming that's where they were coming from.

I think with Neely it's just a blatant show of personal favoritism. There's just no reason to put this guy in there otherwise. I don't know enough about Dick Duff to comment but he looks strange too.

The league should just let the sportswriters do the voting, same as in baseball. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than what we have now.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
You've been asked several times to tell us who those players are. The only one who is ignoring anyone is you.

By all means, tell us who those players are we'd love to see it. We've only been asking you for two pages now.

Haha....that is your reply?

Are you saying there are 4 time All-Star RW's that aren't in the Hall?

Do you think that All-Star berths are a big secret or something? Lol.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/nhl_all_star.html

Do your research.

One last time:

In four different seasons Neely was named one of the top two Right Wingers in the league.

Every Right Wing, (and Center), in NHL history that has reached that milestone is, (rightfully) in the Hall.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
No issue if Neely gets in or not for me but if the qualifier is four All Star teams then shouldn't Martin(I know he is LW) be in by now?

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
No issue if Neely gets in or not for me but if the qualifier is four All Star teams then shouldn't Martin(I know he is LW) be in by now?

Historically speaking it is a far easier proposition to make the team as a LW than as a Center or RW.

Although interestingly (at least to historians like myself, lol), we have been living in the "Age of the Left Wing" for the past 10 years or so and it has become much more difficult.

Ovechkin
Heatley
Zetterberg
Parise
St. Louis
Kovalchuk

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
Historically speaking it is a far easier proposition to make the team as a LW than as a Center or RW.

Although interestingly (at least to historians like myself, lol), we have been living in the "Age of the Left Wing" for the past 10 years or so and it has become much more difficult.

Ovechkin
Heatley
Zetterberg
Parise
St. Louis
Kovalchuk

Very true. Explains some borderline HOF's (Gillies). Out of curiousity, from you guys who have looked at this in depth how do you quantify that? So when say choosing your top 100 do you give less weight/points to a LW All Star? If so how about a guy like Messier who was voted in as a wing but was a Center?

Been watching, reading, and studying the game since the mid 70's but never got real in-depth into ranking players. Collected a large "inventory" of information over the years so thought about testing my hand at it.

I apologize if I'm derailing you guys debate, just curious.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I'm comparing him to centers, goalies and defensemen. I couldn't care less if he's a winger. If more centers get in, so be it. There was a time in hockey where all the best players (Richard, Howe, Geoffrion) were all right wingers. Now it's gone the other way...
I'm sorry but thats just not how it works, whether it should or shouldn't is another debate.

Hakan Loob had a phenomenal 50 goal, 106 point season. The both of them beat out guys like Larmer, Ciccarelli, Gartner, Verbeek, Kurri, Anderson, Mullen... Its no insult to be behind Loob during that season.

How many people had Adam Oates passing them the puck? He never comes close to the gpg pace without him.
Brett Hull did when he had his three 1st team All Star selections... Kurri had Gretzky passing him the puck for all but one of his. Joe Mullen had Gilmour the year of his selection. Gillies had Trottier, Anderson had Messier. The Hall has never been about punishing people for playing with great players.

Robitaille, Hull and Kurri are all sure fire HOF players. Ciccarelli and Gartner are borderline. Anderson probably shouldn't be in.

Duff, Gillies and Neely definitely shouldn't be in.
What possible justification is there for putting Glenn Anderson ahead of Cam Neely?

Even if he is middle of the pack, the group he belongs to doesn't really belong there anyway.
But thats not the Hall's criteria, its yours. The case you are making would eliminate at least 1/3rd of the guys in there, and its an entirely separate debate that does not belong here. By the standards that the Hall of Fame has set, Neely's in, and he's not even at the lower end of the guys who they've let in at his position over the last 10 years.

Whether you personally think that the HoF is too inclusive is not what we're talking about. The real argument here is how Neely compares to the guys who are already in.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire

:laugh:

Howe and Bathgate lost out a couple of years to Kenny Wharram and Claude Provost, what the hell does that prove?

Richard and Hextall lost out to Lorne Carr a few seasons.....

*try to grasp these next two concepts here now*

1. Sometimes a player has a once in a lifetime type of season.
2. This is why doing it four times is notable....lol.

You are just flailing around in the dark here. Did Neely come over your house and kick your dog once when you were a kid?

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do your research.

One last time:

In four different seasons Neely was named one of the top two Right Wingers in the league.

Every Right Wing, (and Center), in NHL history that has reached that milestone is, (rightfully) in the Hall.
Dude, YOU brought this point up. I'm not researching it for you. You want to make the argument... then list the players.

Again, how many of those players had 4 or less? How many had no 1st team selections? I personally don't care.

It doesn't matter to me that he got 4 2nd team all-star selections, that shouldn't get him in. And I don't care if they let in every other guy with 4 2nd team all-stars. We've already seen that the HOF let's in guys that they shouldn't. Neely's just another in a long line of guys who are undeserving that somehow made it in.
I'm sorry but thats just not how it works, whether it should or shouldn't is another debate.
This whole conversation is on how it should or shouldn't be... otherwise why are we here? That's the whole point of this thread.

Of course it is what it is. The HOF is lax and that's why it's not well respected even by it's own inductees. There's no compelling reason to induct a certain amount of right or left wingers. If those wingers are mediocre or not up to the proper standards then leave them out. The HOF doesn't do this though. They let in mediocre players and are inconsistent and political about it.
Hakan Loob had a phenomenal 50 goal, 106 point season. The both of them beat out guys like Larmer, Ciccarelli, Gartner, Verbeek, Kurri, Anderson, Mullen... Its no insult to be behind Loob during that season.
Except that it's just another bullet against the guy. It's not just that he has less than 400 goals or less than 700 points. It's that he wasn't that dominant to begin with. If you haven't got the totals and you aren't a top ten player, why are you in there?

I'm not saying that he shouldn't get in because he missed out on beating Hakan Loob (and I think you know that and you aren't implying otherwise.) I'm saying that he wasn't that dominant to begin with, there were always others who were better and when you look at his totals and know that there were always at least 10 or more better players in the league, then it really is a mystery as to why he got in.
Brett Hull did when he had his three 1st team All Star selections... Kurri had Gretzky passing him the puck for all but one of his. Joe Mullen had Gilmour the year of his selection. Gillies had Trottier, Anderson had Messier. The Hall has never been about punishing people for playing with great players.
No? Bernie Nichols has over 1200 points but he won't make it because he was an 80 point player before Gretz showed up. Then he got a 150 point season and scored at almost 2 points per game over the next couple of years. People know he wasn't that good.

Again though, he won't make it and guys like Anderson and Gillies do. There's zero consistency here.

It's a similar situation with Neely. The main argument that most people point to when justifying his inclusion is his gpg and 50 in 50. We saw that Neely was a very good player without Oates and capable of scoring 50 on his own. With Oates though the guy's gpg goes through the roof. All of a sudden he's got something like 120 goals in his next 150 games and (as many of his supporters mentioned) that's with him being mangled. Those 150 games were crucial to him even managing the low totals that he has to begin with.

So he's got a short career, low totals, never the best at his own position, no major awards, not a top ten player, no cup and his gpg pace is dramatically helped by Oates. That's a lot of strikes against him. I don't see how he can seriously be inducted.

And as mentioned, Gillies and Anderson shouldn't be there either.
What possible justification is there for putting Glenn Anderson ahead of Cam Neely?
As I said, I don't think he belongs there either.
But thats not the Hall's criteria, its yours. The case you are making would eliminate at least 1/3rd of the guys in there, and its an entirely separate debate that does not belong here.
My whole point is that the Hall's criteria is inconsistent, political and they've lowered the bar to such an extent that it's lost credibilty. Neely is exhibit A on this.

And of course my point belongs here. The whole purpose of the thread is to question the HOF's credibility.
By the standards that the Hall of Fame has set, Neely's in, and he's not even at the lower end of the guys who they've let in at his position over the last 10 years.
What standards are those? They've been so inconsistently applied that we have no idea who gets in and who doesn't.

The standards are so low and inconsistent that it can't even really be debated at that level. Gillies is in but Howe isn't? Neely's a 'mortal lock' but Kerr isn't within Siberia's distance of making it? Federko's in but Oates sits and waits? Where does Nichols fit in? How come he isn't inducted if we're letting these other guys in?

See where I'm going with this? The bar is set way too low and it's applied inconsistently.

Meanwhile we sit and wonder if Lindros (an infinitely better player) will make it in, not because of his play on the ice but because we don't know if the politics will punish him because he was unpopular. All the while deserving guys like Gilmour, Howe and Oates are on the outside looking in.

That's a pathetic way to run a HOF don't you think?
Whether you personally think that the HoF is too inclusive is not what we're talking about. The real argument here is how Neely compares to the guys who are already in.
First of all, it's not just a comparison of how he compares to the guys already in, it's also a comparison of who they haven't let in.

You've sat there and said "they'll eventually let guys like Gilmour in"... okay, even if you're right (and I agree you probably are) why the hell is he waiting to get in and Neely is in there already? Why aren't Howe and Oates in? That makes no sense whatsoever. And it's also telling that the guy made it in so quickly after retirement whereas other guys with much better resumes have to sit and wait for no reason. How does that happen? Answer: Politics.

You want to say Neely compares favourably to the worst inductees, that's fine. I don't think it's a debate worth having in the first place. Who cares if he's better than say Clark Gillies? I don't.

Secondly, this debate IS over the Hall's standards itself. The OP got the retirement date on Lindros wrong but he could've just as easily named the thread about Gilmour or Oates instead... He's calling into question the HOF's credibility and I think it's a valid question to ask.

When you have your own legendary players questioning your standards and feeling that it's cheapened (Esposito's words, not mine) the experience of getting in, you've killed any meaning that the HOF has for the guys that actually deserve to be there.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
You say:

I'm saying that he wasn't that dominant to begin with, there were always others who were better and when you look at his totals and know that there were always at least 10 or more better players in the league

And then you say:

It doesn't matter to me that he got 4 2nd team all-star selections

Contradict yourself much? Lol.

"I don't care that he was named one of the top two right wings in the league year after year after year!! He was never a top ten player!! Because there were never any good right wings at that time! Kurri, Hull, Mullen, Selanne, Mogilny were all totally overrated!"

:laugh:

Seriously though; more often than not, (certainly when one is a multi-time winner), one denotes the other.

It's the end of the 90/91 regular season. Other than Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Yzerman, Roy and Hull, name any player, (Bourque was already a Bruin :P ), who would not have been traded in a heartbeat for Neely.

Cam was one of the top 6 forwards in the world in his prime.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=815533

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think with Neely it's just a blatant show of personal favoritism. There's just no reason to put this guy in there otherwise. I don't know enough about Dick Duff to comment but he looks strange too.

The league should just let the sportswriters do the voting, same as in baseball. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than what we have now.

50 goals in 44 games. Tied with Mario for second fastest to Gretzky's 50 in 39.

Only The Rocket, Bossy and Brett Hull have also done it.

That could be one reason.

Goals per game in the playoffs, 6th all-time (57 goals in 93 games), just ahead of Gretzky.

That could be another reason.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You say:

And then you say:

Contradict yourself much? Lol.
There's no contradiction here. The guy wasn't a top ten player in the league. When we look at guys like Jagr or Lindros, we don't limit it only to the positions they played. We look at how they compared to the guys they were competing against including ALL players. Either one of those guys could arguably have been said to be the absolute best at one time or another. If there are more centers that were dominant, so be it. I'd much rather vote in somebody deserving like Peter Stastny or Dale Hawerchuk than a winger who doesn't belong.
50 goals in 44 games. Tied with Mario for second fastest to Gretzky's 50 in 39.

Only The Rocket, Bossy and Brett Hull have also done it.

That could be one reason.

Goals per game in the playoffs, 6th all-time (57 goals in 93 games), just ahead of Gretzky.

That could be another reason.
Those have been discussed throughout the thread. Go back and read it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is; and he was.

At the end of the 90/91 regular season. Other than Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Yzerman, Roy and Hull there is not a player in the league that wouldn't have been traded in a heartbeat for Neely.
Off the top of my head, Chelios, Belfour, Lafontaine, Coffey, Oates, Gilmour... all were better. If some of them had off years that season it really doesn't matter. They had much better careers.

You keep grasping at straws here. You say a 2nd team all-star automatically makes Neely a top six forward? Does that apply to Gerrard Gallant too? Of course not.

Again, you have to really try hard to argue for Neely to be in the top ten for a season or two. Even if I'm generous and give it to you, being the 10th best player in the league for a season or two shouldn't be enough to get you in.
It's great that you're showing me some thread on 1991 and all but GMs in 1991 would've been looking at future projections from a guy who was young and filled with promise. Unfortunately through unfortunate circumstances, he never realized his potential.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
If some of them had off years that season it really doesn't matter. They had much better careers.
You are, (again), flailing around like a fish out of water.

First you say that he was never a top ten player. They when I show that he was in '91, (just as one example) you say well other guys had better careers overall even if Neely was better that year. You can't have it both ways.

Objective observers can see by now that you have some sort of bias that is preventing you from seeing the facts.

You say a 2nd team all-star automatically makes Neely a top six forward?

Actually I didn't say that. I just noted their concurrence.

Does that apply to Gerrard Gallant too?
Left Wing. A far easier position to obtain All-Star berths. Ask Rick Martin.

You have failed.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Even if I'm generous and give it to you, being the 10th best player in the league for a season or two shouldn't be enough to get you in.

Lol.

You don't (and can't) "give me" anything. We objective observers are just noting the facts.

"He was never a top ten player!"

"Ok, he was (I'll "give it to you; generously from up upon high!), but that is not enough!"

Debunking your feeble attempts have gone from me feeling a sense of "trying to educate" to just boring. Your inconsistencies and 'circular reasoning' are childish.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You are, (again), flailing around like a fish out of water.

First you say that he was never a top ten player. They when I show that he was in '91, (just as one example) you say well other guys had better careers overall even if Neely was better that year. You can't have it both ways.
Dude, I'm going to answer this for you again one more time. Then I'm done with you. Leave the arguments to guys like Dafoomie because he represents Neely much better than you do.

First, you didn't show me anything other than a thread from HFboards.

Secondly, the thread itself isn't about him being a top ten player. It's about a specific circumstance in a specific year and whether or not anyone would deal him. As I pointed out earlier (and you ignored) it really doesn't matter. If I'm a GM, I'm looking at future projections as well as present value. If I've got a guy who's shown promise and is 24 or 25 I'm not likely to trade him away for a vet who may be better now. Again, the guys I listed who were his contemporaries: Messier, Roy, Belfour, Yzerman, Bourque, Chelios, Hull, Oates, Gilmour, Jagr etc... all had much better careers. He doesn't touch any of those guys. You've also got guys like Leetch, Savard, Hawerchuk, Stastny, Lafontaine who overlapped and also had better careers. Guys with similar careers (Kerr) don't sniff the HOF so it makes no sense that Neely gets in here.

You keep trying to steer the conversation away from the larger picture with silly things like he HAD to be a top six forward because he was a 2nd team all-star and scream "Contradiction!!!!". That's a lot of bunk and that's why I pointed out Gallant to you. Then you take this argument and actually try to tell me that LWs were weak... no kidding? That's exactly the point I was trying to make earlier about wingers in general in that era.

Again, even if I'm generous with you and say he was a top ten player for a couple of years, there's no way that should constitute induction.

Now feel free to continue your ravings with your posts like "you have failed" and "lmao####" and telling everyone that Neely kicked my dog. Whatever... I'm not chasing your tail here.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
There is; and he was.

At the end of the 90/91 regular season. Other than Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Yzerman, Roy and Hull there is not a player in the league that wouldn't have been traded in a heartbeat for Neely.

That is TRUE. At that point he was a Superstar, in an era with many superstars. Now we have Ovechkin and Crosby really. Then there were more players that were iconic superstars. Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Yzerman, Bourque, Roy and Hull. Aside from them, I don't think there is a GM that would not have traded ANYONE on their roster to get Neely.

If you asked a GM of a contending team from about 88-92 who they would want to pick up at the deadline if they could have ANYONE in the world for the stretch run and playoffs, I bet that Neely would not fall farther than 6th or 7th on anyone's list. Mario, Gretzky, Bourque, maybe Roy if they needed a starter, Messier then possibly Neely. Neely would likely top even Yzerman here IMO, and Hull. At Yzerman's offensive peak too. Neely was so highly respected around the league.

Neely was a legend long before his horrible injury and 50 in 50 season. In fact he was a shadow of himself when he scored 50 in 44 games. A mere shadow of himself. And Neely was not great because of Bourque or Oates. He was great in his own right. Whether it was only for a few seasons do to injury or not Neely was a top echlon top 10 in the World player for several seasons. Regardless of point totals, he was a op echlon player.

The fact he still had amazing, if not legendary goal scoring feats AFTER he was a shadow of himself. I mean he was like Bo Jackson coming back. Neely was a totally damaged man. And he gets 50 in 44 games?!? It is ridiculous.

Neely is in the Hall for WHAT HE DID and also what he was capable of doing. And the playoffs. He was a tremendous, dominant playoff player. He might not have won a Cup but anyone that saw him play in the playoffs knew they were watching something special. A player that raised his game to new levels and he was already at the top echlon of forwards when he raised his game.

If you want to look at how few games he played, then you can do that, but to me and to the voters and to his LEGENDARY and FAME it is irrelevant. Cam Neely is a legend and a great player. And a winner and a playoff warrior. It does not matter how long his career was.

Like say a Martin St. Louis or a Theo Fleury. Both had issues with length of career or for Fleury the end of his and personal issues. But both are legends. Where career stats don't matter, to me anyway. Both should be in the Hall of Fame. As well as Lindros. Who is more FAMOUS or INFAMOUS than Lindros and who was as dominate for a 4 or 5 year period as Lindros? Not many players.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Howe has actually made comments about this in the past and been outspoken in his criticism, so yes it does bother him. Esposito has gone so far as to say on getting in: "It wasn't that big a deal to me because I feel there are some players in the Hall who shouldn't be there, and as a result it sort of cheapens it for everyone."

So yes, those players do care and so do a lot of the fans who actually care about the integrity of the game and it's history.

You can ask Phil Esposito about that. I certainly agree with him on that point.

While I agree with your general point (that players actually can care about the quality of the Hall of Fame choices), Esposito is probably not the best person to use as an example. All the guys he thinks don't belong are Soviet players he personally dislikes, and he can't (or at least one) evaluate them objectively.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
that's why I pointed out Gallant to you. Then you take this argument and actually try to tell me that LWs were weak... no kidding? That's exactly the point I was trying to make earlier about wingers in general in that era.

LW were a weak field, not Right. Which is why pointing out Gallant is useless.

Unless you consider Hull, Selanne, Bure, Mogilny, Mullen and Kurri weak competition that is.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
You keep trying to steer the conversation away from the larger picture with silly things like he HAD to be a top six forward because he was a 2nd team all-star
Actually I didn't say that. I just noted their concurrence.

(A fact I have already corrected you on).

All I have done is correct your numerous mistakes, and misconceptions.

I should have just ignored you with your uninformed "Neely's peak years coincidentally coincide with Adam Oates being on his line" nonsense.

But I thought I'd try to educate a little, (not realizing you were one could never admit to being wrong in the face of simple facts).

Leave the arguments to guys like Dafoomie

Well you are finally right about something. I think I will leave it to the likes of:

dafoomie
Big Phil
dcinroc
Gobias Industries
BamBamCam
LapierreSports
Dark Shadows
BNHL
God Bless Canada
Dennis Bonvie
TheDevilMadeMe
sunb
arrbez
ranold26
bruinforstanley
VeddarRants
Briere Up There
TheMoreYouKnow

....to name a few....

....they seem to have more patience for ignorance than myself.

Ahh...well; I never claimed to be perfect.

Ahh thank you.

So in his 13 year career, he was one of the top goal scoring right wingers in his day, as well as being one of the best power forwards. Not only that, but he was in an elite group of company when it came time to produce in the playoffs.

All this all while losing several seasons of his prime due to injury.

Do people still wonder why he's in the HOF?

Yes VeddarRants, they do. But they cannot be taken seriously....

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
There is; and he was.

I'll look at the thread but just because the Bruins wouldn't trade for 10 other guys in the league for Neely doesn't make him one of the top 10 players in the league.

They are two entirely different questions.

Also even if you want to make the argument that he was on the cusp of being a top 10 player for that year and make the same argument for another two years tops, is being a top 10 player with a short career enough to make the hall of fame?

Since the Hall has let Neely in, partly IMO based on what he might have done had he not been injured, they have totally opened the door to a host of other marginal candidates.

Back to the original question, we can make the argument that Neely was a possible top 10 guy maybe for 3 seasons while Lindros was a top 3 guy for a couple and a top 10 guy for several more.

Neely is one of those guys that got in because he is well liked and his induction wasn't based solely on what he actually did on the ice.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Lindros should be in, (and will be). Cam being in has nothing to do with it.

It is the Hall of Fame. The people who think Neely should not be in are mistaking it for the Hall of Stats.

Cam was one of the most famous players of his generation. He defined a position. Lindros did the same.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i think what hurt Lindros is he didn't live up to expectations. He put decent numbers, and was near the best in the world for about 4 or 5 years, but because he was such a dominant junior, he was touted as the 'Next One' which, of course, he never came close to being (who could). Neely, on the other hand, was never expected to be a near goal-per-game player like he was for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad