Why can't this team score in the playoffs?

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not going to bring out the stats because we all know it to be true.

The Canucks were the highest scoring team in the 2011 regular season, but yet the lowest scoring team in the 2011 playoffs. Their PP was the best as well, but in the playoffs it was very mediocre outside of the SJ series.

Same deal in 2012. The Canucks finished as one of the highest scoring teams in the regular season, but struggled to put pucks past Quick in the playoffs.

And Game 1 of this series, the Canucks had Torres score their only goal for them.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Guys like Raymond give us nothing year after year but are brought back because you cant dare replace him!!! too risky to get rid of him and everything he brings, which is sure as hell not scoring or physical play or playmaking.

If you shut down our first line it's literally all on Kesler and Roy. We do not have the type of elite forward groups the cup winners usually have, even in 2011 it was goaltending, defence, and sedans/kesler taking over different rounds.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Cycle, cycle, cycle, cycle, hope something opens up, cycle, cycle, cycle, cycle, nothing opens up, cycle, cycle, throw a useless shot on net, cycle cycle, cycle gets cut off and the opposing team is on the counter attack.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
So would you say this is more of a coaching problem than a player personnel one?

both. the coaching staff is certainly not making the most of what we have.

1. separating players with chemistry and random line mixing all season
2. not putting garrison on enough for PP
3. putting lines on that makes no sense and not going to generate offensive such as Weise with Kesler in the 3rd is just terrible and desperate experimenting

LolClarkson*

I'm not going to bring out the stats because we all know it to be true.

The Canucks were the highest scoring team in the 2011 regular season, but yet the lowest scoring team in the 2011 playoffs. Their PP was the best as well, but in the playoffs it was very mediocre outside of the SJ series.

Same deal in 2012. The Canucks finished as one of the highest scoring teams in the regular season, but struggled to put pucks past Quick in the playoffs.

And Game 1 of this series, the Canucks had Torres score their only goal for them.

See my avatar and fire Gillis

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Crash the ****ing net and get dirty goals.

Take an elbow, slash, and crosscheck in the process.

Winning faceoffs may help as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Crash the ****ing net and get dirty goals.

Take an elbow, slash, and crosscheck in the process.

Winning faceoffs may help as well.

Our only goal tonight is a perfect example of just throwing it on net and banging away at it, yet we stray away from doing it on a regular basis. The players say that's what they need to do, never do it, then say post-game they need to crash the net and bang away rebounds, and never do it the next game again. Frustrating.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This has to be coaching now.
The Canucks have too much talent to be this offensively inept.

Also...
For some strange reason...
The team is hanging Luongo out to dry now.
He seems to be the only one who wants to win.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
The players say that's what they need to do, never do it, then say post-game they need to crash the net and bang away rebounds, and never do it the next game again. Frustrating.

so true, so funny and so sad

For me its 2 parts:

The game plan is incredibly inefficent: it seems like the team works 2x as hard as other teams to get scoring chances. Bad coaching. Too stubborn.

Also, when they get scoring chances, they cant convert on it. Bad personnel. Not enough skill (on the wings), too much hard work/grinding.

If you wanna play a grinding game, fine, but get the right coach/players for the job.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This team is a good regular season team...though the weak NW division has inflated their stats over the past few years.

The Bruins represented the new direction the game is headed in where skill is only half the equation now. There is less room out there and the same ol predictable cycling game will NOT work anymore. You're literally seeing all teams (aside from the Pens and Bruins who drew easy opponents) having to GRIND it out to at least generate *some* scoring chances.

Another thing, putting grinders and AHLers on our 3rd and 4th lines isn't going to cut it nowadays. Looking at the Kings, Hawks, Bruins and Pens(2009) 3rd/4th lines and their subsequent stats you begin to see why having plugs like Weise, Pino and Ebbett in the lineup becomes problematic in the long-run.

Let's face it. Our team isn't good enough. We're lacking a proper balance of grit an skill. We either have a crapload of skill on our top 6 that play a perimeter game, or we have a bottom 6 that can hit but cannot sustain any pressure to create the chances.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Sedins. Too slow and soft. They are unwilling to drive the net very often. You gotta get your nose dirty in the playoffs. Teams know the way they play and put in that extra effort in the playoffs to shut them down.

The other problem with them is they "have to play together". I've been fighting this idea for years. What does just about any team do when their two highest paid forwards aren't producing together? They split them up, Can't do that with the Sedins and so it limits the line options for the top lines.

I'm not saying they are the only problem but when your 2 top offensive guys can't get it done year after year in the playoffs they are the biggest problem.

The other thing I'll say(isn't just playoff related) is that the team hasn't produced a legitimate scoring threat that they've held onto in years.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Number one reason - we're not trying to score goals. We're trying not to make mistakes. This is only exacerbated by AV's even more conservative playoff mentality.

The ironic thing is that as much as this team tries to play 'defensively' or 'carefully', the worse they play. Despite all this emphasis on 'safe' hockey, they give up more shots and prime scoring opportunities than that style of team should be.

Gillis deserves some blame here because although I think he's put some good players on this team, he's saddled them with a coach who has sneakily made this team more and more 'defensive' year after year - and then he stuck by said coach when he should have been fired last year.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
The way the Sedins play, they are easily eliminated by borderline illegal plays because they don't rely on speed, strength or stick handling.

The officials already let a lot of **** go in the regular seasons against the Sedins, so when they do this in extremely physical games such as the playoffs, the Sedins get absolutely murdered and are rendered useless at times.

It's sad really.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Number one reason - we're not trying to score goals. We're trying not to make mistakes. This is only exacerbated by AV's even more conservative playoff mentality.

The ironic thing is that as much as this team tries to play 'defensively' or 'carefully', the worse they play. Despite all this emphasis on 'safe' hockey, they give up more shots and prime scoring opportunities than that style of team should be.

Gillis deserves some blame here because although I think he's put some good players on this team, he's saddled them with a coach who has sneakily made this team more and more 'defensive' year after year - and then he stuck by said coach when he should have been fired last year,

He could...
But AV had earned himself one more shot.
It is very hard to justify canning a two-time President's Trophy winning coach...
Who was 1 game from winning it all...
Just a season ago.

Plus...
I don't think there are better alternatives out there.
All the good coaches seemed to have been hired already.

If the Canucks crashes out again in the 1st round...
Which I hope does not happen...
Then AV is as good as gone.
Now there is finally enough justification.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
We gotta be harder on the puck, and settle for garbage goals, no more tic-tac-toe beauties if the opportunity isn't there.

They are already doing that...
The 1st goal was like that...
And before that the other chance that just went over the net was like that too.

But I agree with the overall sentiment.
Sedins need to shoot more.
Just get pucks towards the net.
Couple of times they were open...
But they waited for the screens to come...
Only to be blocked.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
They are already doing that...
The 1st goal was like that...
And before that the other chance that just went over the net was like that too.

But I agree with the overall sentiment.
Sedins need to shoot more.
Just get pucks towards the net.
Couple of times they were open...
But they waited for the screens to come...
Only to be blocked.

No, they're not. Here's a little game I play. When a Canuck forward in the offensive zone shoots the puck, does he curl to the corner or drive the net?

It was a pretty depressing game tonight with regards to that game.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
they don't go into the dirty areas to score. sedins cycle too much and in the playoffs checking is tighter. its best to split the twins up 5 on 5 and see how the opposition responds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad