Why Brooks Orpik should be a first ballot Hall of Famer

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I didn't even know he scored a SCF goal. That was his first goal since February 26, 2016. Lololol.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I hate seeing that Thayer Academy produced Jeremy Roenick. He didn't even last a week before dropping out and signing with the Hawks.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He definitely should be a first ballot HOFer...because if they think about it any longer he won't get in...

Reactions: COHawk

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
There is no way a glue stick is better than liquid glue. In Toronto, liquid glue is used to make buildings and to keep engines from falling apart.
brb, writing a 25 page essay on why you are wrong.

Reactions: Gary 23

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Well, the OP didn't include the story along with it. Long story short, a user on Reddit said before game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals that if Orpik scored a goal in that game, he'd write a 25-page essay on why he deserves to be a first-ballot hall of famer.

This is just him making good on that promise.

Some of us know the real forum this is from...

Reactions: Katie Connauton

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I love this part...

Orpik is the leading active point scorer for NHL players from California. The list of players has some huge names, but none of them surpass Brooks Orpik. He has scored a total of 185 points in his career thus far, and the only person to do more than that was Lee Norwood who scored 211. From California, Orpik has more points than Jason Zucker, Auston Matthews, Matthew Nieto, Beau Bennett, and Thatcher Demko. There are significantly more players from the state that has produced this hockey legend, but I just chose a few names people may know. Many people will make the case that Auston Matthews has a decent chance of going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but Orpik has scored more points than his fellow Californian.

Reactions: Pouliot

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Parts of that were hilarious to read

I don't see how people can be so uptight about this or take it seriously

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Guys make some pretty solid points. Not saying I'm sold on him getting into the HOF let alone as a first ballot but he's making a very good case for him. Let's wait and see how the rest of his career play out. I say if Orpik score 5 more goals he should get in.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Lol wut. Why do people want the HHoF to become an even bigger joke than it already is by electing players like Brooks Orpik to it?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that it was done for a bet. The idea of Orpik as a Hall of Famer is still laughable though.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Didn't you ever have to write papers for school? I could probably write a 25 page essay on why a glue-stick is better than liquid glue.
IMO a glue-stick is better than liquid glue, although both have their advantages, however the simplicity of the stick just makes it superior.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm going to read this whole thing, and just kind of live-react to it. f***it.

As I am totally and realistically a HHOF voter I will assign a point system. Every point I like gets a plus one, ever one I don't gets a minus. If I end up with a positive total, I will vote for Brooks Orpik as a first ballot HHOF candidate.

Page 1: The user that wrote this is "a_huge_waffle". He didn't waffle on this bet. +1.

Starts with an author's note, but really seems like a disclaimer. Booo. Gives some background to the whole situation, but also feels like a bit of a hedge so people take it less seriously, which is something that shouldn't be done when discussing first ballot hall of fame candidate Brooks Orpik. -1.

Page 4: Starts with a background to the HHOF, and gives a three page summary of Brook Orpik's career to date. I guess it's relevant information, but I think he should have started with the main argument and lead into the background. Skimmed most of this, it's not really that interesting or related to the HHOF case. -1.

Page 7: Looks like we are going to take this category by category, first is "statistics".

Starts with a hedge, "On paper Brooks Orpik may not be the greatest player to ever live, hell, he might not even be the greatest defensemen to ever live. But, it is important to see his statistics and understand how these can affect a team." Ouch. -1.

Brooks Orpik is the NHL's leading scorer from California. Impressive. +1.

Brooks Orpik has more NHL points than Auston Matthews. +1.

Page 8: "Plus-minus is one of the most important statistics to measure a defensemens on-ice contributions and defending skills and it comes with no surprise that Orpik has one of the highest." -1

Tries to argue Orpik is good at defending because of his +/-. I know I already downvoted this, but it deserves another. -1.

100% career FO win percentage. +1

Page 9: 100% career shootout percentage. +1.

Also takes an entire page to explain what a shootout is, as well as tell a story about a shootout he won. -1.

Page 11: Second section, "Off Ice Impact".

Describes charitable work that Brooks Orpik has done throughout his career. Not really relevant to the HHOF, -1.

Is pretty cool though, so +1.

Page 13: Third section, "grit". Pretty sure the proper term is "Intangibles", -1.

Misspells Captain with "Capitan" -1.

Gives a really pointless description of grit. -1.

Page 14: Describes in detail Orpik taking a huge hit to the head on a reverse hit by James Neal where he may have received the career and life altering affects of a traumatic brain injury. He played the next shift. That's pure hockey grit alright. +1.

Also talks about him basically losing a finger on a slash. +1.

Page 15: Quotes Dan Bylsma, -1.

Discusses Orpik destroying multiple red wing players on one shift. +1.

red wings suck +1.

Page 17, section is "leadership".

He wears the "A" +1.

Page 18, refers to the blue jackets as "stacked" -1

Apparently the Russians call him "father", which is less cool and leaderly and more weird and possibly sexual. +1.

Page 21: "miscellaneous"

They made a cardboard Orpik. +1. Really doe, wtf?? -1

Cardboard Orpik wasn't very durable. -1.

Cardboard Orpik was a Bylsma idea. -1.

Cardboardo Orpik did take a serious injury and finish practice. +1.

Final score: -1 (I think).

Will not vote for Brooks Orpik for the HHOF

Reactions: discobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad