News Article: Why Auston Matthews is Embracing a Penalty-Killing Role at Maple Leafs Training Camp and How it Might be Deployed

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean it's cool if they want to dip the toes in pre season with it I guess.....but I would rather not see our best goal scorer who fought hand issues all last year blocking shots on the penalty kill. Go score 50 or 60 goals and play great defense at ES.

I mean he lead the league in blocked shots for forwards did he not? Whether it's on the PK or 5v5 who cares he is already doing it.

Look at how Dangerous Marner is on the PK. Imagine Matthews and Marner sprining a 2 on 1 with a forward or offensive D the only guy back, they will roast some PK units.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean he lead the league in blocked shots for forwards did he not? Whether it's on the PK or 5v5 who cares he is already doing it.

Look at how Dangerous Marner is on the PK. Imagine Matthews and Marner sprining a 2 on 1 with a forward or offensive D the only guy back, they will roast some PK units.
Fair enough, I suppose that is true. If it works I am not going to complain about it....I just want the guy to actually be healthy this season even if it means he doesn't lead the league in blocked shots.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There aren't many forwards on the Leafs that are really known for their defensive play. They have limited options for the PK. Kampf - Marner, Lafferty - Jarnkrok, Matthews - Gregor. That would be my guess, but at full health they don't have Gregor in the lineup because of the cap.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Last time they tried that on his very first PK Auston just missed having a part of his body taken off by a point shot and that was the end of that experiment.

The idea should stay dead.
Besides, better to have the team's best forward ready to go after the PK if for no other reason than mathematically he's much more likely to score at even strength than a man down.

Same goes for Marner but he's so strong on the PK I guess Keefe feels it's worth it. In that case, one of these two on the PK but definitely not both.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

If they PK together, you can keep the lines in tact after the kill to, as opposed to someone filling in for Marner next shift.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Until somebody shoots a bomb from the point and it goes off his hand or foot and shatters a bone.

I get the concern, but he’s already blocking a ton of shots without PK time, so I’m not sure it’s overly relevant. Quite literally any single shot block could injure a player, so unless we were to tell him to stop blocking altogether this is risk we have to accept.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Reminds me of when Pat Quinn would throw Sundin and Mogilny out on the PK now and then and the other team would be almost on their heels as they weren't just dumping it down the ice when they got the puck, they'd be making plays the other way and pushing the PP into panic mode.

You don't wanna do it all the time but now and then Matthews and Marner on the same PK would cause some chaos out there no doubt

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm fine with it .. but not as the go-to PKer. Getting him out there later in PK stint, 30 seconds and under, could help generate some transition offensively after the kill for a quick attack.

If folks are ok with Marner PKing, there shouldn't be much concern for Matthews.

He's also very strong on the draw.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'm fine with it .. but not as the go-to PKer. Getting him out there later in PK stint, 30 seconds and under, could help generate some transition offensively after the kill for a quick attack.

If folks are ok with Marner PKing, there shouldn't be much concern for Matthews.

He's also very strong on the draw.
This is how I see it as well. Whistle blows with only 20-30 seconds remaining on the PK, I don’t see any issue with throwing him out there. He’s strong on the draw like you said and can push the offence towards the end of the PK when typically the PP players aren’t as fresh.

Reactions: Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

And who would have thought Pettersson would be 2nd.?
1695572578945.png

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes hockey is a tough sport.

It sure is, and the risk of injury is high as is.

Why take our best player and go "you know what we should do? we should take our best player who already plays a game where the risk of injury is extremely high and we should go ahead and increase that risk.'

Reactions: nofehr

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
And who would have thought Pettersson would be 2nd.?
View attachment 745686
Not only this.

When compared to 1st line forwards (players who average 19 + minutes per game), Matthews leads the NHL in blocked shots since 2016/17.

Among all forwards, since entering the league, Matthews sits behind perennial 2nd and 3rd line players in blocked shots -

Nick Bonino
Boone Jenner
Luke Glendening

Players who have roughly as many career points as Matthews has career goals, despite being younger than all 3 of them.

He has never been timid with putting his body on the line.

Reactions: danny90

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not only this.

When compared to 1st line forwards (players who average 19 + minutes per game), Matthews leads the NHL in blocked shots since 2016/17.

Among all forwards, since entering the league, Matthews sits behind perennial 2nd and 3rd line players in blocked shots -

Nick Bonino
Boone Jenner
Luke Glendening

Players who have roughly as many career points as Matthews has career goals, despite being younger than all 3 of them.

He has never been timid with putting his body on the line.

He also took a massive step backwards offensively. So if the trade off is 60 goals and 100 points or all these defensive bells and whistles but 40 goals and 85 points... I want the pure production.

Back in the day we had guys like Jay McClement absorbing all this punishment and playing these hard minutes. I don't want to get late into the season or on a lengthy run and have to rationalize our lead horse is fatigued from a long season of killing penalties and getting pucks shot at him.

I do admire the desire to help the team in all facets. But at his cap hit I think you have to budget out what is the best use of his playing minutes and energy levels. PK is vital but to team success also low value stuff.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So who do we got right now that's reliable for the PK?

Marner
Jarnkrok
Kampf
Lafferty

After that it's pretty thin. I don't know of Bertuzzi or Domi have a history of killing penalties and the rest of the group definitely not. I can see why they want to give Auston a try on the PK.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It sure is, and the risk of injury is high as is.

Why take our best player and go "you know what we should do? we should take our best player who already plays a game where the risk of injury is extremely high and we should go ahead and increase that risk.'
Yeah you want your best players on the ice as much as possible, Marner and Matthews.

IMO he’s more likely to get hurt taking a faceoff

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah you want your best players on the ice as much as possible, Marner and Matthews.

IMO he’s more likely to get hurt taking a faceoff

Marner at least does it, Matthews never has, and if he has It's been nearly a decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad