Why arent people (really) talking about the horrid dangers/effects of alcohol

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alcohol (mainly beer) is the biggest catalyst for neurodegenerative & degenerative diseases
and possibly even for genetic disorders (latest,recent studies).

Scientists have decades (100+ years) studied the effects of alcohol and released thousands of articles
and proven how excessive (even moderate) use of alcohol damages our bodies, heavily and causes
all kinds of deadly things. Yet still we humans, continue to consume massive amounts of
alcohol (mainly beer) each year, no one seems to really talk about it.

Obesity (sugar&fat) and its effects, drug abuse and its effects, the 2 biggest matters of conversation
alcohol still seems to be bit of a taboo subject.

| Ive never drank beer in my life and only once ive drank alcohol, one glass of champagne
at some wedding, long a time go. |

Reactions: deflowd

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Alcohol (mainly beer) is the biggest catalyst for neurodegenerative & degenerative diseases and possibly even for genetic disorders (latest,recent studies). ...|
In the spirit of this "Sciences" forum, please cite your sources. It's hard for the rest of us to keep up with the current-week pronouncements of what's deadly & what's life-extending nowadays.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fermentation Has been around for thousands of years and is beneficial for gut bacteria. I think its the preservatives an other chemicals which are the issue.

Reactions: Roman Fell

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Alcohol, even in moderation which is maybe 7-10 drinks a week is detrimental in some ways. For example I can tell you for a fact that people who average 7-10 drinks a week develop cataracts at a much earlier age than non drinkers. The average age for a non drinker is 74 but it’s 67 for people who drink in moderation. Heavy drinkers can develop them in their 40s and 50s fairly frequently. Since this isn’t exactly a catastrophic health issue you rarely hear about it. To be fair though alcohol is beneficial in some ways too in moderation but given its a drug it’s guaranteed to cause some harm in small amounts but the media won’t tell you that

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Alcohol, even in moderation which is maybe 7-10 drinks a week is detrimental in some ways. For example I can tell you for a fact that people who average 7-10 drinks a week develop cataracts at a much earlier age than non drinkers. The average age for a non drinker is 74 but it’s 67 for people who drink in moderation. Heavy drinkers can develop them in their 40s and 50s fairly frequently. Since this isn’t exactly a catastrophic health issue you rarely hear about it. To be fair though alcohol is beneficial in some ways too in moderation but given its a drug it’s guaranteed to cause some harm in small amounts but the media won’t tell you that
Do you have bad experiences concerning alcohol?

Reactions: Roman Fell

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Been thinking about this a lot lately as well.

I'm 40 years old with kids in a nice community in NJ. We recently had a guy put in an application to our town center strip mall (with several vacancies) to open up a Vape Shop. And the owner of the mall accepted.

Long story short, before it even went before the council there were droves of concerned parents, mainly moms who attacked the businessman bringing in the vape shop. In days they had compiled statistics, fact sheets and pertinent research to discredit the business, personally attack the owner of the mall and proposed shop and organized a petition to prevent the opening of such an establishment.

After multiple meetings and social media campaigns they forced the council's hand to pass new ordinances banning sales of all vape, tobacco and marijuana paraphernalia from the town.

I sat by idling watching all of this thinking about how half of those moms (or more) are often seen down at the town watering hole and driving home after a few. I'm sure many of them drink a glass or two of wine at dinner or at home and drop their (and other families) children off to activities in and around the area.

There was one dude on the council that brought up to the group if they thought it would be a good idea to ban all alcohol sales and liquor stores as well, because according to research it is more dangerous than marijuana and vaping. Everyone including the other members of council had a chuckle, but this man was dead serious.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Kurtz

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
That's wrong. Alcohol is just people practicing for when/if they do develope cataracts. All that study proves is that people who consume alcohol are more forward thinking. ie driving home from work "do i have beer? Do i have smokes? What if i get cataracts? Better get more beer"

Science...

Reactions: Kurtz

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
1024px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I just feel like it's common knowledge drinking alcohol is not a healthy habit. You have studies that say a glass of wine may good for you but who knows as they contradict themselves all the time. Everyone is different, some chronic drinkers/smokers live very long lives.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I just feel like it's common knowledge drinking alcohol is not a healthy habit. You have studies that say a glass of wine may good for you but who knows as they contradict themselves all the time. Everyone is different, some chronic drinkers/smokers live very long lives.
The fermentation is what is good for you.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
True to an extent, though as far as I can tell that rebuttal explicitly wishes to introduce some central arguments that are not scientific. To quote:

"It is not for scientists alone to decide the relative weights society should place on such disparate drug-related harms as dependence, overdose death, and corruption."

In practice this means that if for example a religion like Islam forbids alcohol as morally wrong it means that scientific arguments for or against the ban are of limited importance because the society has already determined it as harmful for reasons unrelated to science.

Reactions: JMCx4

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
In the spirit of this "Sciences" forum, please cite your sources. It's hard for the rest of us to keep up with the current-week pronouncements of what's deadly & what's life-extending nowadays.
Caffeine/Coffee is the best example of this. A new study headline "Caffeine Use Can Make You Live Forever", next article "Caffeine Associated with DED" (last paragraph of both of course will mention correlation is not causation, we need to study more aka give me more research $$$)

Reactions: Kurtz and JMCx4

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Alcohol's negative effects are not discussed much because it is used nearly universally across the globe and has a special place in many many cultures and rituals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad