Why are we so much better on the road?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Random variance. Last season we had a better record at home. Auston Matthews is also the best road goal scorer since he entered the league, that helps. As much as I think Babcock over-matches, taking the flow of play away from his teams, there's no statistical evidence supporting it as a detriment.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Random variance. Last season we had a better record at home. Auston Matthews is also the best road goal scorer since he entered the league, that helps. As much as I think Babcock over-matches, taking the flow of play away from his teams, there's no statistical evidence supporting it as a detriment.

I have been thinking about this lately too... I think there is something to this; over-coaching is a thing. We have some really creative players and I think at home they are being asked to play a different way; like matching. Really can take the flow out of a game for certain players.

I don't think it's the sole reason but just adds on to whatever else is going on.

Have to assume they get it straightened out. When they do, and they can keep playing well on the road, things should start rolling.

Reactions: The Rat King

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I have been thinking about this lately too... I think there is something to this; over-coaching is a thing. We have some really creative players and I think at home they are being asked to play a different way; like matching. Really can take the flow out of a game for certain players.

I don't think it's the sole reason but just adds on to whatever else is going on.

Have to assume they get it straightened out. When they do, and they can keep playing well on the road, things should start rolling.
I think there's something to this, too. In general the NHL is overcoached. I miss the 80s with its firewagon hockey. There's strategic advantage to using these systems, but over use can just suck the fun out of it from time to time.

Reactions: wingman75

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Who knows, but they'll have to figure it out. Not going to get very far if scoring dies on home ice. Whether it is bad ice, pressure, or anything else they just have to work past it. Don't need the best home ice record in the league, but can't be one of the worst on home ice and expect to make the playoffs or go very far in them.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our home and away record will eventually level off. As mentioned ad nauseum, I think the poor quality of the ice at SBA is a major factor.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Many of our radio and tv personalities seem to think it’s because visiting team players are more excited to play in Toronto, but I don’t buy that as the main reason. Maybe it’s a small contributor here and there, but not a major factor, IMO.

I feel like it has more to do with a small sample size, missing Auston more at home, where he can’t be matched up by the visiting coach, and then the rest might have to do with pressure. They’re great as underdogs but perhaps they’re holding their sticks too tight when most of the rest of the world expects them to win. It can add a split second of doubt and overthinking on any given shift. Maybe on the road, especially against good teams, it’s more of a nothing-to-lose attitude because nobody expects them to win, and that’s when they shine.

So maybe once/if they get into a groove and the sample size increases, some of that home pressure will subside. Then, once Auston gets back and if (*sigh*) Willy comes back, all opposing teams will be doing their banking online, because nobody is going to want to visit the Bank.

Look the **** out NHL.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
We're now 6-0 on the road. Our home record is not nearly as flattering.

What do you attribute this disparity to?

A). The players put more pressure on themselves when at home to 'put on a show.'

2). Babcocks tendency to force line match ups at home makes it harder for the players to get into a groove.

D). Our ice is garbage which neutralizes our most skilled forwards from time to time.

7). It's too early to read into this trend.

3). I have my own theory (insert here) which is superior to yours.

Q). All of the above.

Z). None of the above.

Leafs are built on other teams carrying the play and are good at taking advantage of other teams mistakes. At home, they play a different style of game...my two cents.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
We're now 6-0 on the road. Our home record is not nearly as flattering.

What do you attribute this disparity to?
2). Babcocks tendency to force line match ups at home makes it harder for the players to get into a groove.

Think the problem is, the grove the players need to win isn't always going to be there. This is the regular season.
But once the playoffs hit, that's one scratched record and Babcock knows it. The Leafs are a young team. Most of the
fans are inexperience with what it takes to win. Even John Tavares is coming in from a club that didn't nail down the winning formula.
Is Babcock making it harder? If the answer is yes, perhaps that's the sign of a really good coach. Come the
playoffs, the Leafs need to be able to hold that record needle straight no matter who is trying to ruin our song.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
We need one more option. “Weed isn’t legal in almost all states.” It’s obvious our players can’t help themselves at home with it being legalized.:sarcasm:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Babs tends to overcoach at home, he gets so focused on matchups and shutting down other teams, that we forget how to play our own game.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'll go with #3 and insert my own theory..

Its almost as if the Leafs are intimidated in front of the library crowd they play for at the Scotiabank Arena, IMO the quietness can have the same effect as a loud opposing crowd with regards to intimidation. Its so quiet sometimes that there is this vibe in the air that you can actually feel from your couch at home watching on TV. Like the "fans" are just waiting and expecting a mistake to happen.

This gets into the players psyche, we really underestimate how a loud crowd on your side can alter play and inject confidence in the team.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'll go with #3 and insert my own theory..

Its almost as if the Leafs are intimidated in front of the library crowd they play for at the Scotiabank Arena, IMO the quietness can have the same effect as a loud opposing crowd with regards to intimidation. Its so quiet sometimes that there is this vibe in the air that you can actually feel from your couch at home watching on TV. Like the "fans" are just waiting and expecting a mistake to happen.

This gets into the players psyche, we really underestimate how a loud crowd on your side can alter play and inject confidence in the team.
Well I guess it's fitting that the place is named after a bank now, with all the business deals going down and non fans on business trips in town there just to make.

Bank.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's no reason at all. It's just dumb luck that will straighten out soon enough. Randomness of small sample sizes.

The Leafs will not be 41-0 on the road nor as bad as their record is at home.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
-Teams play a simple game in Toronto: pressure the puck carrier and have man to man coverage in the neutral zone. The stretch pass is eliminated and the Leafs are forced to play chip and chase hockey, which benefits the opposition if they have a good puck handling goalie (Calgary).

-When the Leafs are on the road, it seems like the home team wants to please their crowd and ultimately open the door to run and gun hockey, leaving the neutral zone wide open. The Leafs' speed feasts on games like that and ultimately their skill takes over.

Small sample size, but that is my observation thus far

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1/2 the suits not even watching.

eating the fancy food in their corporate box seats.

Players playing on **** ice because of sharing with the Raptors.

The technology to dehudify exists, the technology to chill does as well. They even have portable solutions to assist the process. Why nothing has been done about the ice is strange.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Don Cherry said it best. Teams play better on the road because of team unity. They eat meals together, spend nights at hotels chilling together, practice together. When it comes to players at home, especially those that have families and homes in city they play in. Its practices and games, that's all. The unity is lost.

Leafs have a lot of players with families local to Toronto. When at home a lot of time is spent away from the team.

Cherry's solution is to play the 3rd and 4th lines more to start games at home until stars get their legs and heads together. This is what he did to assist with the unbalanced record in the early going. 3rd and 4th line players thrive on ice time because they normally don't get it. They are hungrier and rarely take a shift off.

Wonder if this will work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad