Why are we so much better on the road?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We're now 6-0 on the road. Our home record is not nearly as flattering.

What do you attribute this disparity to?

A). The players put more pressure on themselves when at home to 'put on a show.'

2). Babcocks tendency to force line match ups at home makes it harder for the players to get into a groove.

D). Our ice is garbage which neutralizes our most skilled forwards from time to time.

7). It's too early to read into this trend.

3). I have my own theory (insert here) which is superior to yours.

Q). All of the above.

Z). None of the above.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I’d go with 7 for now. But I won’t be surprised if the trend continues.

With the bad ice, i would have expected their familiarity with it would give them an advantage over a visiting team who’s seeing it for the first time. But i guess it’s possible it could affect certain styles more than others.

Also, thanks for omitting “The crowd is too quiet and the players can’t get up for the game.”

Reactions: The Rat King

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I remember the cup finals between Detroit and Pittsburgh and when Babcock had home ice advantage Z and Dats backed by Lidstrom did a number on Crosby and Malkin. Back then Babs had players he could count on for matchups. And I guess he wants to get there again but he is not there yet. And therefor it might look bad for a while until the players he have realize what is asked of them, and being able to pull it off.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah, but he is not in full control.
Which makes it worse because players are changing to get those matchups and at more risk of being out of position.

He doesn't avoid matchups on the road, it's just tougher/riskier to get them and you see Babs go out of his way to do that on the road.

You're also never in full control with icings, special teams, etc.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I’d go with 7 for now. But I won’t be surprised if the trend continues.

With the bad ice, i would have expected their familiarity with it would give them an advantage over a visiting team who’s seeing it for the first time. But i guess it’s possible it could affect certain styles more than others.

Also, thanks for omitting “The crowd is too quiet and the players can’t get up for the game.”
I was going to blame the sushi, but then I remembered I like sushi.
It wouldn't be fair to the tasty fish.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
There’s too many distractions and too much media scrutiny in Toronto and they’ve had consistently poor starts at home from being tight which allows the other teams to trap in the latter half of the games. The expectations this year at home are overwhelming.

Babcock’s obsession with line matching at home isn’t helpful either as again it takes some flow away from the game.

On the road they’re more relaxed.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Mostly #7, but the Leafs have had some real garbage efforts at home. Those have been the games where they rely on talent to win, while they've played much harder in all their road games. Still mostly #7 though, lots of bad luck at hot goalies at Scotiabank.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
As long as the road victory streak continues into the playoffs i'm not questioning it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's probably still early to read too much into things. I'd still want home ice advantage in the playoffs though.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Babcock doesn't only line match at home but he also likes to impose this non-existent defensive structure along with bigger usage of our defensive players (hyman/ brown etc). On the road he only line matches with Kadri using him against the top line for the home team. Past that he tends to let his team play more freely offensively because he knows they'll fold like under pressure trying to play defensive hockey on the road.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Number of factors so far.

Its early.

The teams two worst efforts were against the Blues and the Flames and that had nothing to do with coaching. Team just didn't show up.

Bad puck luck in more games at home than on the road.

While their stats on the road are slightly higher (mainly due to those 2 terrible games), they are still 12th in corsi and top ten in both scoring chance and high danger chance differential at home. They deserved better in the other games.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Number of factors so far.

Its early.

The teams two worst efforts were against the Blues and the Flames and that had nothing to do with coaching. Team just didn't show up.

Bad puck luck in more games at home than on the road.

While their stats on the road are slightly higher (mainly due to those 2 terrible games), they are still 12th in corsi and top ten in both scoring chance and high danger chance differential at home. They deserved better in the other games.
Very informative, thank you.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Home pressure will do it every time.
It's been happening for the last few years now,in every sport.
On the road expectations are not so high,so the pressure is lifted.
As many road team victories nowadays.
Home game advantage in the playoffs is now a thing of the past.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Small sample sizes magnify even the little things.

In the 3-0 loss against the Pens at home (2 EN goals for the Pens), the Leafs only got 1 pp the whole game despite some obvious missed calls.

If the 4 min penalty on the Pens player who nearly took Hymans eye out gets called against the best PP in the league, do we score? Happened in the middle of the ice and somehow no official saw it.

"Little" things like this can make a huge difference. Murray was awesome that game but might have had some trouble facing down that PP with Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00