Why are th Oilers Failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilz89*

Why are we failing? Because we took out Petry and added Sekera ..

Can you really expect a better result playing Sekera\Klefbom\Schultz 25 mins\night ?
We need 2 legit top 4 Dmen on top of what we currently have.

Nurse, Davidson, Gryba, Reinhart, Klefbom really?? AHL D one would say.

How many of these would crack the top 4 of a contender?? of a playoffs team?? a fringe playoffs team like CGY\WPG ??

Calgary a fringe playoff team :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
And thinking Lowe and MacT are the real POHO and GM, and Nicholson and Chiarelli are the puppets. Just stop it. We have beaten this to a pulp. Lowe and MacT are not running anything. There is an improvement in the team and a better outlook than previous years. We will do just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This is a joke right? We're playing better then the last 2 years, lost out on 2 games where it was almost entirely on the refs and should have a record of 6-7 or 6-6 or 5-6-1 .... so what on earth are you on about? Are we supposed to be 12-0-0?

that is actually, probably fair.

I'm anxious to see how they do with their full lineup, and fully adjusted to new coach/system/teammates/etc. I really don't think their that bad. just, need a month or two.

Yes, it's unfortunate that another season will be flushed as the team adjusts, but that's what happens when you change management. You don't clean house because things are rosie; the whole organization was a gong show.

Parture*

I'm anxious to see how they do with their full lineup, and fully adjusted to new coach/system/teammates/etc. I really don't think their that bad. just, need a month or two.

Yes, it's unfortunate that another season will be flushed as the team adjusts, but that's what happens when you change management. You don't clean house because things are rosie; the whole organization was a gong show.
No that's not what happens when you change management. That's what happens when you continue to hold onto the worse +/- players on the team.

Parture*

Yes, +/- really is a HUGE factor in stats these days. Just ask Dallas Eakins and his whole 'anal-whatchacallit-ytics'. How has that worked?

And to say the Oilers 'held' onto Korpi and Purcell is not right. Purcell was a lateral swap with gagner (who was worse in +/- than Purcell) and we are just waiting for him to go off the books. And Korpi was traded to fill a 3rd/4th line grinder winger role and it has worked for us so far.
The bottom line is they should not have these players at all.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
All it means is that, the Oilers get scored on a lot 5-on-5, and don't score many goals 5-on-5. It's been that way for a LONG time, many many years, and has nothing to do with the current set of players. That my friend, is OILERS HOCKEY.

Lets look back to 2007, at say Jarret Stoll. That year he was a -23. Gets traded to the Kings, the next year -7, the year after that +13.

oilz89*

Also, that schedule was a mean one. I swear i think the NHL gave us a bad starting schedule and forced the refs to waive off some goals and penalties because we won the lottery :laugh:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Where have you been the past 5-6 months?
Nicholson, Chiarelli are running the team and Mclellan coaches. Lowe and MacT have very little to do with the team now. Especially the hockey side.

You really don't think these guys have no influence? What about at the draft table when we essentially traded Mathew Barzal +, for Griffin Reinhart. This was a big mistake at the time and to me, it still looks like a big mistake. Griffin is too slow to be anything more than a 6, 7 D-man, while Barzal will be a top 6 forward. Which has more value?

It has also been stated by current management that MacT and Howson play big roles on the player personal side. Just look at the team bio's:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33068

CRAIG MACTAVISH
Sr. Vice President, Hockey Operations
Craig MacTavish enters his first season as the Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations, after serving as the club’s General Manager the past two seasons. MacTavish previously served as Edmonton’s Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations in 2012-13. He will work closely with President of Hockey Operations and General Manager, Peter Chiarelli and Assistant General Manager, Bill Scott on the daily operations of the Edmonton Oilers. ...more

Until these guys are gone (MacT, KLowe and Howson), the team will still suffer from their mistakes (past, present and future).

oilz89*

No that's not what happens when you change management. That's what happens when you continue to hold onto the worse +/- players on the team.

Are you blind??? We can't TRADE those players they have no value. We have to wait until their contracts are over or when we can buy them out :help:

Parture*

You really don't think these guys have no influence? What about at the draft table when we essentially traded Mathew Barzal +, for Griffin Reinhart. This was a big mistake at the time and to me, it still looks like a big mistake. Griffin is too slow to be anything more than a 6, 7 D-man, while Barzal will be a top 6 forward. Which has more value?

It has also been stated by current management that MacT and Howson play big roles on the player personal side. Just look at the team bio's:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33068

CRAIG MACTAVISH
Sr. Vice President, Hockey Operations
Craig MacTavish enters his first season as the Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations, after serving as the club’s General Manager the past two seasons. MacTavish previously served as Edmonton’s Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations in 2012-13. He will work closely with President of Hockey Operations and General Manager, Peter Chiarelli and Assistant General Manager, Bill Scott on the daily operations of the Edmonton Oilers. ...more

Until these guys are gone (MacT, KLowe and Howson), the team will still suffer from their mistakes (past, present and future).
I couldn't have said it better myself. The reason why the Oilers hang onto the worse +/- players is because of money, for the love of money is the root of all evil. MacT and Lowe are still running the show. At least I am doing my part and not paying $300 a seat. I pay $9 a month to watch the sports channels for the first time in 25 years. And this is the first time I started watching Oilers again since 1990.

It's all because watching Connor is really enjoyable. I am predicting he will have 3000 points by the time his career is done, more than Gretzky.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I was asked by a poster here to explain why this thread was closed.

The thread was closed because it was a train wreck. It was a dumpster fire.

Happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad