Why are so many people so quick to judgement on things after only a few games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
People get excited and over enthusiastic about things, especially if they are people who have had a rough go of things for a long time and have had to eat other people's shit for a long time. Something good happens and the desire to dish some back is just too strong. Also the desire for a change of situation is so strong that a small sign of something good happening evokes a will to act and behave like it will be the permanent result.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While there are a lot of people who make firm stances in small samples, I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss what's happened in those samples and what, if anything, it says long term. For example, with Puljujarvi, it's obviously too early to write him off as a bust, but for someone who was often in the same sentence as Laine leading up to the draft, the start to his career has to be a little disappointing and it's fair to question whether his potential isn't as high as once thought, or at least discuss what he needs to do to reach it.

Similarly, with all the Matthews discussion, it's probably a little early to claim he'll be an Art Ross contender for sure, but we can look at his play and realize he looks better this year, his shooting percentage is a little high, but his linemates are low so with some balancing his point totals aren't overly inflated, he generates a ton of high danger chances, and is dominating possession, all of which suggest he's been playing like one of the best players in the game, and given his age and talent he likely will continue to be so. It shouldn't be an issue to discuss players/teams based on small samples as long as we keep in mind the limitations of them. This place would be pretty boring if all we did was say "let's wait and see" about everything

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Forget after a few days, people start talking shit within a few minutes of puck drop. Player X is awful....IT ISN'T EVEN THE FIRST INTERMISSION!

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If this is a veiled Oilers still have a shot thread, I would point to the dwindling (around 8% now...) chance they have to make the playoffs already. I agree on not calling a prospect so early, but I also think that HF Fans in particular stray the opposite way just as often, long saying someone still has potential when they clearly are what they are.

I think Flames fans and Bennett are a good example of exactly this.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This year is definitely the worst I have ever seen this place in my 7+ years of reading these boards. The over the top reactions and hyperbolic threads that are created on literally a game by game basis is just insane. Mods need to crack down more and flush out a lot of the garbage that's been coming in.

Maybe HFboards has just jumped the shark...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
And I go back to the main board - first thread I see is : "The Blues are starting to look like contenders"

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Because the search figure sucks and people know they will never be called on their outrageous claims.

And, just in case it's brought up, that guy predicting that Cody Hodgson would be a star wasn't me. In the alternative, someone hijacked my account :)

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Sorry--maybe it is the 20+ years I have been on this board that gotten me annoyed at how fast people pass judgement or pass final verdict on something

this is not aimed just at this board but nearly every board on this site now you can find topics where judgement is being passed--not to move the discussion along--but passing final judgement or making a statement that the discussion is over--when it is just starting

is it because certain posters want to enrage and not engage their fellow posters/
or do they want to be the first to say "told you so" only to go into hiding when things go south

I will give an example that has popped up on a few boards--this just one example

There have been several threads saying the oiler pick Jesse Puljujarvi is a bust but Pierre-Luc Dubois of the BJS is still a legit prospect--neither have played more then 40 games in the NHL. Usually before passing any judgement or making a statement of concern we would do it after 1 or 2 season.. but now we snap decisions after a dozen or so games

for me it falls under the "small segment" discussion idea--posters use a small segment and try to act like that is the final judgement on topic..

we are 12 games into an 82 game schedule--most teams still have a few games to play

It is a pretty long season and we are far from passing FINAL judgement on so many things.. we can start to see patterns and fun stuff like that and put together positions on topics and raise concerns

but why are so many posters passing final judgements or acting like the discussions are over?

might just be me--but I think it this site has become more about enraging and not engaging the discussion

It might have to do something with the Oilers fans believing their own hype and building themselves to be the next unstoppable juggernauts of the NHL when the NHL season was at ZERO games in the off-season...now with some real data (even though it is a small sample size), many of their fans cannot handle it.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Because it's fun to talk about hockey and what else is there to talk about on a hockey forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad