why are posters on the main boards so down on us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Because the team is a legit joke.

Wont spend, losing players and a very meh roster with a very average prospect pool.

Plus the Sens are a small market, making it easy to dump on em.

We're no different from the Islanders and Panthers.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
They also think Drew Doughty is the best defenseman in the league.

Something shiny will come along and pull them off in some other direction soon enough.

We won't be lucky enough to finish last.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
They actually have a valid point, if ask around on this board too. The budget talk, one of the lowest payrolls, just traded Spezza for some unproven young assets, Hemsky walked, extension talks are not going too well with the soon-to-be UFAs, question marks on D, etc.

The list goes on and on, I am sure others will jump in and point out million other things I haven't touched on.

All this being said, I don't think they finish last, this team now goes back to that Pesky mentality and they will surprise team. Remember last time everyone picked this team to miss the playoffs? They were in 2nd round, not saying it will happen, but anything is possible..

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
They've always been down on the Sens for some reason, mainly cause a chunk of our potential success could depend on factors they don't wanna see happening.

1) Karlsson becoming one of the best players again = Most fans

2) Ryan re-signing in Ottawa = Division fans+Flyer fans

3) Zibanejad breaking out = See above

With that being said, I also believe a big chunk has to do with Sens posters being some of the most realistic fans on these boards. Therefore, since we don't show as much optimism/homerism in waves, other fans just crap on us because they think we feel the same way or they're somewhat right and instead they boost other team bases cause those guys would argue a lot to disagree.

Main boards had Ottawa finishing bottom 5 two and three years ago(we made the playoffs both times).

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
... Like seriously. They think we will finish last. They think Karlsson will ask for a trade and Ryan has already asked for a trade (????). I really don't get it.

The Dude said it best

yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Because they like shiny new toys. Remember that 99.999% of them do not get paid to do any thing internally related with hockey and rightfully so, i wouldn't take their opinions seriously.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Because the main boards are full of delusional posters.

I keep trying to stop going there, but it has been so boring this offseason that i can't force myself not to go there and see what type of stuff is being posted there.

Last edited:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
The main board is where sense and logic go to die.

With that said, every single team has posters who frequent the main boards and make ridiculous and ill-informed statements every single day especially ours.

I'll be honest, I think the Sens board produces some of the worst.

Don't worry about what other people think. There's enough negativity on these boards and surrounding this team right now. How about we let the team play it out and see if they can prove any doubters wrong and squeak into a playoff spot.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Because the team is a legit joke.

Wont spend, losing players and a very meh roster with a very average prospect pool.

Plus the Sens are a small market, making it easy to dump on em.

We're no different from the Islanders and Panthers.

This is why, because our posts are filled with negative comments 24/7. Because we have the worst fanbase in the NHL, because after one bad year its freaking doomsday.

This fanbase needs to grow up.

Karlsson2Turris*

Lol seems like you read the "Who's most likely to ask for a trade" thread. That thread is utter garbage and most of the posters tere are delusional. Most of them answered Kane (who's shown desire to leave Winnipeg). I mean wake up and read the thread title.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This is why, because our posts are filled with negative comments 24/7. Because we have the worst fanbase in the NHL, because after one bad year its freaking doomsday.

This fanbase needs to grow up.

1 bad year? We've been mediocre since 2007-2008.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It hasn't been a great year for the Sens. A lot of the negativity towards the team has merit.

Luckily we do have a young team with a lot of potential but they have to prove themselves to sway opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. If guys like Zibanejad, Stone and Ceci have breakout years, everyone will love us again, but it has to actually happen before anyone gets on the bandwagon. Let's just sit back, keep expectations low and hope that the faith management has put in our young players pays off.

Us Sens fans also want to see some signatures from upcoming free agents.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
1 bad year? We've been mediocre since 2007-2008.

And? I'd hardly consider, making the playoffs 4/7 times mediocre, including a trip to the second round, a round that only 8 teams compete in a year, that's less than a quarter of the league.

You see, the issue with this fanbase is that they're extremists. We all expect that this team be competing for the cup. Newsflash, only three teams have won the cup in the past 5 years and only 7 have made it to the finals. Now I don't know what the hell this fanbase's expectation is, but what I do know, is that it's way too high. For **** sake, 10 years ago we were competing for the cup. What team in the NHL remains competitive for over 11 years? Very few if any.

The pessimism in this fanbase is very unappealing, and it makes me ashamed to be a Sens fan. "Oh no we're a bubble team! What ever shall we do!!" Well what they're going to do is suck, but hold on there fans, take a step back from that open window. Remember what happened to the Red Wings when they sucked in the 80's? They won some cups. Or how bout the Chicago Blackhawks of the 2000's? Two cups, not too shabby. Now I know that life sucks and there's that possibility of having a Edmonton Oilers scenario happening. Well guess what? Why in the living hell would you assume that's what's going to happen to this team? You don't know the future, so stop acting like it. The Senators have been contenders in the past, and since I'm not a pessimistic brooding depressed fan and use my common sense, I'm going to assume that that the Sens will not suck for the rest of my life.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Because they are taking real, actual problems that we have as a franchise (ownership/budget, documented record of star players wanting out, uncertainty over the status of pending UFAs, coming off an under-performing/underwhelming season, etc...) and exaggerate them to the fullest degree possible.

We definitely have some issues, which the main boards likes to skim over without really understanding the breadth of the issues at hand, and then re-imagine them as worst-case scenarios.

The truth, as always, lies in the middle - Far less doom & gloom as the Main Boards would have you believe, but not quite as rosy than the most optimistic of HFSens posters might think.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I would go to the main boards, but I always feel an infraction coming when I do. Just like the Senators in the NHL I guess.:laugh::naughty::sarcasm:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Because they are taking real, actual problems that we have as a franchise (ownership/budget, documented record of star players wanting out, uncertainty over the status of pending UFAs, coming off an under-performing/underwhelming season, etc...) and exaggerate them to the fullest degree possible.

We definitely have some issues, which the main boards likes to skim over without really understanding the breadth of the issues at hand, and then re-imagine them as worst-case scenarios.

The truth, as always, lies in the middle - Far less doom & gloom as the Main Boards would have you believe, but not quite as rosy than the most optimistic of HFSens posters might think.

Moderation, Medium, Mitte, Center, Turris, Zibanejad, Legwand, Smith...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This may be the first year I have ever believed that a bottom 3 finish would be best for the team. One of Eichel, McDavid or Hanfin would be a godsend.

In saying that, I can't envision a scenario other than Turris, Ryan, Karlsson going down for substantial time that would grant this type of finish.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
it's mainly because the two biggest fanbases in the league (Montreal and Toronto) have seen their teams humiliated by the Sens in the past. No one like being out-muscled by the little brother in the group.

We're just easy to pick on right now because Melynk is acting like Scrooge McDuck and costing us a couple good players. All we have to do is get Methot and Ryan signed to their new deals and that disappears for a few seasons.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
And? I'd hardly consider, making the playoffs 4/7 times mediocre, including a trip to the second round, a round that only 8 teams compete in a year, that's less than a quarter of the league.

You see, the issue with this fanbase is that they're extremists. We all expect that this team be competing for the cup. Newsflash, only three teams have won the cup in the past 5 years and only 7 have made it to the finals. Now I don't know what the hell this fanbase's expectation is, but what I do know, is that it's way too high. For **** sake, 10 years ago we were competing for the cup. What team in the NHL remains competitive for over 11 years? Very few if any.

The pessimism in this fanbase is very unappealing, and it makes me ashamed to be a Sens fan. "Oh no we're a bubble team! What ever shall we do!!" Well what they're going to do is suck, but hold on there fans, take a step back from that open window. Remember what happened to the Red Wings when they sucked in the 80's? They won some cups. Or how bout the Chicago Blackhawks of the 2000's? Two cups, not too shabby. Now I know that life sucks and there's that possibility of having a Edmonton Oilers scenario happening. Well guess what? Why in the living hell would you assume that's what's going to happen to this team? You don't know the future, so stop acting like it. The Senators have been contenders in the past, and since I'm not a pessimistic brooding depressed fan and use my common sense, I'm going to assume that that the Sens will not suck for the rest of my life.

1) Your math skills are... questionable.
2) Making the playoffs 57% of the time over 7 years is absolutely mediocre.
3) Making the second round once in that time, only to get shellacked, is also mediocre. We've won one round in 7 years. One.

I have long term expectations of this team, but I've followed our fall from the 2007 season closely and understand why we are where we are. We had a culture of winning and success throughout the early 2000's so I know it is possible to become winners again. I don't think this team and city deserves a perennial loser. Sorry if I'm not satisfied with mediocrity, but I'm far from a brooding depressed fan. I try to be a realist.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah I don't see it either. I can't see us making the playoffs but we're better than the Sabres and Panthers.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
  1. We had a terrible year last year
  2. We traded our #1 C for a package that likely won't help us much short term
  3. We have a dreaded internal budget that limits spending
  4. We're Ottawa, which usually means we get underestimated

But I think we're a more complete team if we make the right moves and 2 of our young Dmen step up (Cowen and Ceci or PDub). We need to drop the dead weight from the bottom 6 and let the young guys with upside play. I think we can compete for a playoff spot and be a tough out this year but we need the above to happen.

Ryan, Turris, MacArthur, Zibby, Stone, Chaisson, Legwand, MM, Hoffman. Not in that order, but there's your top 9. Smith, Neil & Condra/Greening for the 4th line.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
People feel the need to put other's down to feel good about themselves. When this happens people generally pick an easy target to gain moral support from others making themselves feel better and important and part of the group. Ottawa along with Toronto is one of the easiest targets to make fun of in Canada, sports especially for different reasons. It will always be like this in Canada as we are a nation of generally negative complainers compared to other countires in similar circumstances imo. Most countries embrace their capital city, in Canada we loathe it and knock it down at every opportunity. My 2 cents.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reasons to think Ottawa will be worse this year:

- We moved a very good #1 center for long term futures that won't be big contributors this season.
- We gave up a ton of goals and did nothing obvious to directly address it.
- Other teams around us seemed to have improved.

Reasons to think Ottawa will be improved this year:

- Karlsson looks to be starting the year at 100%, and seems to be in a better spot from a personal standpoint.
- Ryan should be recovered from the Hernia, also a contract year.
- Spezza was not playing at 100% most of last year, particularly on the defensive side. While we'll miss his production, team focus on the defensive play should improve. This is not to say we're better without him, but that we are better with his replacements than with a still recouperating Spezza.
- Cowen gets a full offseason of prep, is full recovered from his hip surgery and won't miss training camp.
- Our young D has more experience, and should improve
- Anderson and Lehner should be able to improve on last years performance.

Pretty much all the reasons for improving rely on individuals performing better than last year, and while there are relevant factors that contributed to their poor performances last year, most fans of other teams don't see those, or if they do, they brush them off as excuses. They also see no replacement for Spezza as a huge question mark, while manyaround here would argue he was at best holding his own last year and at worst a big factor in our poor play.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah I don't see it either. I can't see us making the playoffs but we're better than the Sabres and Panthers.

The Panthers are a much better team this year than last. They could really surprise people.

I think part of the negativity around us has to do with us being good enough to compete but not good enough to challenge for a playoff spot, putting us in the old hockey limbo of finishing just out of the playoffs when we really need that top 3 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad