Speculation: Why are Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak attached at the hip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Okay, I know they're best friends and they have "chemistry" having played together the past few years.. But can we try a different center with Phil Kessel PLEASE? Why is he attached to Tyler Bozak's hip like a Siamese twin?

Kadri floats up and down the line-up like he's a utility player, we have Colton Orr playing shifts on our second line, but no matter how badly they struggle the Kessel-Bozak pairing appears to be an absolute must.

The excuse used to be that Bozak's faceoff proficiency makes him invaluable for obtaining puck possession on the #1 PP and top line. However, Kadri is sporting a higher faceoff percentage this season making that argument obsolete.

Bozak isn't a terrible player by any means, but when he's not having an effective night his minutes need to be limited and one of Dave Bolland or Nazem Kadri should have the opportunity to play with our top player in Kessel. When Kadri's having a bad game after only a few shifts he's demoted to the bottom lines.. Why doesn't Bozak get the same treatment?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I'm sure he'll get accountability soon and yes he was bad, but who do we replace him with?

Kadri can be defensively liable and constantly putting him with Kessel-JVR will weaken our other line offensively.

long-term Bozak needs to go this summer, at the latest next. It's a definite area that needs improvement. Short term it's time to limit his minutes a bit and shuffle these lines.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
LOL, aren't Lupul, Kessel, Kadri, JVR at a PPG pace? The offence is fine and I like two lines.

This team is playing garbage toughness and defence. Where is team Bernier now?

Leafs For Life*

^Don't need to copy and paste into 2 threads.

And funny thing is, Bozak and Kessel aren't even best buds.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There was that one season where lupul - bozo - kessel had chemistry and even though rc broke the line up moving lupul he thinks having just bozak and kessel will keep the chemistry going. The worst part was that the chemistry was actually between kessel and lupul not bozo and either of them. Really tired of having this clown on the first line, he sucks at face offs, hockey iq is low and is slow compared to his wingers.

Disgruntled Observer*

Are you trying to blame Bernier? :help:

This is going to be a frustrating aspect of the season.

The leafs have two competent young goalies!!!
Isn't that a good thing?

Why have a lot of leaf fans picked just one goalie to stand by? What's the freaking point?

Neither goalie is perfect. No goalie is. They're going to make mistakes.
Now that a lot of leaf fans have all "chosen their goalie", they're jumping on and nitpicking over the simplest of mistakes when the other guy's in net.

The leafs get out shot 40-20 or something... and people are finding a way to blame the goalie. He wasn't "perfect". Ok. Well, you know what? Neither was the rest of the ****ing team.
So let's hold them all accountable if we have to.

But we're 6 and freaking 3 with one of the youngest teams in the league. Why the **** are people already trying to point to scapegoats?
It's really freaking strange that it's ME of all people that needs to point this out.

CG14

Aug 15, 2010
Halifax
KesselBozakGoals.png

"Chemisty"

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There is no rational reason outside Kessel demands to play with Bozak. It does not make sense for two coaches to deem this pair untouchable.

They say the most overrated player in the NHL is Dion, it's not, but we hold his rights, it's Bozak

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This is going to be a frustrating aspect of the season.

The leafs have two competent young goalies!!!
Isn't that a good thing?

Why have a lot of leaf fans picked just one goalie to stand by? What's the freaking point?

Neither goalie is perfect. No goalie is. They're going to make mistakes.
Now that a lot of leaf fans have all "chosen their goalie", they're jumping on and nitpicking over the simplest of mistakes when the other guy's in net.

The leafs get out shot 40-20 or something... and people are finding a way to blame the goalie. He wasn't "perfect". Ok. Well, you know what? Neither was the rest of the ****ing team.
So let's hold them all accountable if we have to.

But we're 6 and freaking 3 with one of the youngest teams in the league. Why the **** are people already trying to point to scapegoats?
It's really freaking strange that it's ME of all people that needs to point this out.

Did I say Bernier or Team Bernier?

ahah. No just happy to put ppl saying "trade Reimer now" in their place. I like both goalies, hate "Team Bernier"

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
LOL, aren't Lupul, Kessel, Kadri, JVR at a PPG pace? The offence is fine and I like two lines.

This team is playing garbage toughness and defence. Where is team Bernier now?

Oh yeah just fine, did you see how we just dominated those Hawks last night?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here's a thought, perhaps Bozak might be the one asking when is Kessel going to show up to help JVR and himself out on the #1 line.

The logic that a 4.2M player needs to get a 8m per player going seems to go over the heads of some.

Corleone

Sep 25, 2006
Peterborough
To me, it looks like he stays back and lets JVR and Kessel goes balls to the wall. Something better than all three getting caught up ice.

Yeah that's pretty obvious, but when the other team knows only the 2 wingers are going to attack, it makes it easier for them to be shutdown.

34Matthews

Oct 3, 2013
Unfortunately as good as Bozak is, he's not an elite, top line, clutch Center, That might be our biggest problem since potentially solving our goaltending issues, then we need a true Shut Down D-man to play with Phaneuf on the top paring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad