Why are games so early today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
So you'd rather keep the name Columbus Day and keep pretending that he "discovered" North America?

We have an entire month dedicated towards indigenous people up in Canada and it's perfectly fine. What bothers me is when some people decide something is slightly offensive and just delete it off the face of the earth. We're already doing it up here with our first Prime Minister and it's stupid.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's Columbus and the Islanders always have an afternoon game at home on Columbus Day...no clue why.

The Northeast US is the epicenter of schools closing on Columbus, Veterans, and MLK day. Despite all being federal holidays many other parts of the country do not close schools on those days. As a matter of fact nowhere else I’ve lived have I seen schools closed on 11/11. It’s about 50-50 for Columbus Day and I would say most now get MLK day off. When I lived in Oklahoma years ago they didn’t get it off but they do now

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We have an entire month dedicated towards indigenous people up in Canada and it's perfectly fine. What bothers me is when some people decide something is slightly offensive and just delete it off the face of the earth. We're already doing it up here with our first Prime Minister and it's stupid.

I'm not sure it's about being "slightly offensive" rather than it's about being completely and totally factually incorrect.

You can't "discover" something that already exists and you can't be celebrated for being the first when you're nowhere near the first.

I think it makes perfect sense to no longer celebrate this man who's "accomplishments" were largely fictionalized or misrepresented and frankly, saying his actions were "slightly offensive" is a gross misrepresentation of the man. He was a sadist who relished in torture as a ruler, was an active human trafficker (including children), and he and his men were known to slaughter, rape and torture entire native communities.

This man was a monster and a fraud and absolutely doesn't deserve to be honoured in any way and to suggest he's "slightly offensive" is, frankly, slightly offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad