Why are European players usually more skilled?

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
It always seems that Europe seems to develop highly skilled individuals than North America who develops a good balance between teamwork and skill

I'm not saying European players are better but I don't think there's no denying that usually European players are more INDIVIDUALLY skilled

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This is actually an intriguing question. My guess is it has to do with Europeans ( Certain countries) are perfectionists. This leads to maybe more practice and effort put into things than other Countries. I'm just guessing though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Pretty sure they incorporate hitting into the game much later than North America, wanting their kids to focus on developing their skill first and foremost.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it just seems that way because there are more of the "filler" North American player in the league. At the top end, North American players are just as skilled as Europeans.

Reactions: Blueston

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Bigger rink means players are growing up with more space for creativity and dangling and what not.

Smaller rink forces you to grind more since an early age.

The rink size you play on for the first 20~ years of your life has a lot to do with morphing your style.

Player who are smart enough tend to figure out how to translate the creativity they were raise with over to a smaller ice surface. Most European-trained players tend to take awhile to get used to the grinding style of hockey.

As I'm typing this I'm starting to think that creative, intelligent players are the ones who usually adapt the quickest from bigger ice to smaller ice so the transition acts as a form of filter to "weed out" a lot of the players who take too long to adapt and learn the new styles and systems

Brownies

It is a bit of a stereotype, but there's definitely still some truth to that. Lots and lots of emphasis is put on throwing the puck at the net around here and go to the net. If you start playing an efficient low risk game at 10-12 years old, there sure's going to be less improvement in 1 on 1 skills and such, but it sure offers other advantages. I think it's cool that there are different styles around the world.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I think the gap has been narrowing for years now, but stick skills are still sweeter on the Euro side. As others have noted, it probably has a lot to do with the rink size and mentality. Baroque hockey rules.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Wont give you the whole answer but Kuzys article on the players tribune should give you a pretty good idea

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It always seems that Europe seems to develop highly skilled individuals than North America who develops a good balance between teamwork and skill

I'm not saying European players are better but I don't think there's no denying that usually European players are more INDIVIDUALLY skilled

as a Canadian in Europe I say it is because they are taught skating and skill first and physical stuff later

after a certain point the canadian style becomes more about the physical side then skill

also--here in Europe it is all about skating most of the time

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I always thought it was because as a junior player in Europe you're usually given more free reign for creativity. The systems and grinding aren't drilled into you as early as the Canadian Junior teams.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Besides stylistic differences as well as North American Diets, a much larger percentage of the league is North American than European. For dime a dozen grinders, why would a Euro go over when he could be a good player and probably paid similarily near home?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
My guess is because in Europe, young players are allowed to experiment, have fun and just play the game. Having watched my kid play rep hockey for the last 10 years in Canada I can promise you that's not the case here. Kids learn systems and the "team game" from day one. 6 years olds get benched if they skate the puck out of the zone or try to deke someone. It's sad really and I expect a huge decline in Canadian representation in the NHL over the next couple of decades.

Reactions: Statto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad