News Article: Why are Canucks special event jerseys so expensive - explained?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thought this was a fair article. Stuff could be less expensive still but only the jerseys are priced at an inflated number. I don't see why they don't give most of it to charity if they're going to mention charities. Or at least disclose how much goes to charity.

I still think that the overall idea is great - local artists design fire logos for special events and money goes to charity. But of course we had to put a Canucks-esque shady spin on it.

CityNews - Why are Vancouver Canucks Lunar New Year jerseys $750?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
HUGE point of frustration for me.

I believe the official reason, given when the Pride jerseys were the first to be offered for $700+ last year, was that because they were locally made with custom artists and locally sourced whatnot, as opposed to the regular jerseys which are mass-manufactured overseas, was the explanation given.

But man. I'm a jersey collector. I have all their home/away/alternate jerseys, and would have loved to add a lot of these brilliant theme night jerseys to the set. My wife is very understanding of me getting new jerseys when they come out - but I think she'd remove my soul from my body if I dropped over $700 on one.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I believe the official reason, given when the Pride jerseys were the first to be offered for $700+ last year, was that because they were locally made with custom artists and locally sourced whatnot, as opposed to the regular jerseys which are mass-manufactured overseas, was the explanation given.

But man. I'm a jersey collector. I have all their home/away/alternate jerseys, and would have loved to add a lot of these brilliant theme night jerseys to the set. My wife is very understanding of me getting new jerseys when they come out - but I think she'd remove my soul from my body if I dropped over $700 on one.
Yeah this year's logo was so awesome that I actually bought a hat. Only thing I can afford lol.

Which ones are the ones you wanted the most?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe if the regular jerseys cost the same as the special event jerseys, people might not be throwing them on the ice as often.

But then I just don't get the whole schtick around the special event jerseys, retro-jerseys, skate logo jerseys etc. etc. etc. Unless there's a charity component to their sales, I wouldn't buy any of them.

Besides, the Canucks could wear Lululemon or Spandex shirts and they wouldn't play any better.

Reactions: ChilliBilly and m9

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Enabler!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't verify truth to it or not but there was something on twitter, and a site that looks into charities that showed Canucks for Kids gives 9% to the actual charity and the other 91% goes to admin, etc.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I can't believe that ANYONE wants a jersey from this team right now. Money goes directly to Franky and Luigi.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can't believe that ANYONE wants a jersey from this team right now. Money goes directly to Franky and Luigi.
1674788620322.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I can't verify truth to it or not but there was something on twitter, and a site that looks into charities that showed Canucks for Kids gives 9% to the actual charity and the other 91% goes to admin, etc.

I can’t find it but there was a response to that tweet that said the original is disingenuous. Canucks for Kids runs with very limited staff and lots of volunteers so the numbers look very bad by the referenced website but other places rated the charity highly.

Spent some time looking and it seems the original tweet was deleted along with the response I’m referencing.

Reactions: mossey3535

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can’t find it but there was a response to that tweet that said the original is disingenuous. Canucks for Kids runs with very limited staff and lots of volunteers so the numbers look very bad by the referenced website but other places rated the charity highly.

Spent some time looking and it seems the original tweet was deleted along with the response I’m referencing.

The original site that tweet listed was charity intelligence which seems to be using dated information. (Also I have no idea how legitimate they are) It says they have 3 full time employees though which is in line what you said. It has the 9% number though and is critical of their transparency.

I found another article from the sun, from 2018 that also references the same site but then lists CFKF and the MLSE foundation as the two best Canadian sports charities to donate to, at 73% and 79% respectfully, going towards the actual cause.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Why orca jersey costs so much? Well, because players play owners own mangers manage and coaches coach.

francesco-aquilini.png

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

I found this report from a few years ago which details revenues and expenses. Admin is actually pretty low (under 1% of revenue), but there are significant fundraising expenses.

For example, the main revenue generating source for Canucks For Kids is the 50/50 draws. For those, 50% of the revenues goes to the winners. Of the remaining 50% share, 33% goes to various 50/50 expenses.

• Love
Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I found this report from a few years ago which details revenues and expenses. Admin is actually pretty low (under 1% of revenue), but there are significant fundraising expenses.

For example, the main revenue generating source for Canucks For Kids is the 50/50 draws. For those, 50% of the revenues goes to the winners. Of the remaining 50% share, 33% goes to various 50/50 expenses.

Yeah...

Dont give to these charities.

Reactions: Gurn

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Are you guys planning to go back to Red, Black and Yellow skating logo/jersey? Noticed the Nucks have been wearing em alot recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad