Why allow no trade contracts

Tre

Jun 23, 2017
If the league wants true parity why do they allow no trade and limited trade contracts? When a team is willing to pay what it takes to get a player, its frustrating to lose him to a no trade. Would it be the leagues right to not allow them?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
When you're too young to understand unions negotiating for rights for their members, and likely too young for HF as well.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
NTCs and NMCs are used to save cap space for teams. They are bargaining tools that probably are not going away anytime soon as they benefit both the team and player.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Because players want to have some assurances as well?
If you sign somewhere longterm, you do so as a commitment to the team. A NTC or NMC means the team will have to keep up its side of the bargain as well.

I'm not even sure where you are trying to go with that. No trade clauses are between a player and his team, there is not price that pays "what it takes" nor does any team "lose" someone due to such a clause. All teams know whether a player has such a clause or not, if they ask for a player who has such a clause they know there is little chance of getting him.

If a team gave a player a no-trade clause, they choose to do so out of their own volition. No one forced them to hand out such a clause. Once they have done so, they have to adhere to it.

And no, the league can't just not allow them. They are part of the agreement between the NHL and NHLPA. The only way to get rid of them is by the NHL asking for the removal of these clauses the next time the CBA has to be negotiated, and there is no way the players would ever accept such a demand.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If the league wants true parity why do they allow no trade and limited trade contracts? When a team is willing to pay what it takes to get a player, its frustrating to lose him to a no trade. Would it be the leagues right to not allow them?

Because that's not how parity is intended to work. You might as well just line the players up every year and have GMs pick them in a giant schoolyard style draft.

Colorado avalanche choose McDavid
Vancouver chooses Sydney Crosby
Vegas chooses Erik Karlsson

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Because it's a business and owners saw it was something they could give players in order to get them to take less money. And players were willing to take them in exchange for less money because they have families.

Aug 3, 2010
It's almost as if contracts pertain to the lives and livelihoods of actual human beings who have people and places they love.

Tre

Jun 23, 2017
mr4 When you're too young to understand unions negotiating for rights for their members, and likely too young for HF as well.
Age doen't represent maturity obviously. Sorry I asked, just don't think its fair to small market teams. Negotiated or not.:popcorn:

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
mr4 When you're too young to understand unions negotiating for rights for their members, and likely too young for HF as well.
Age doen't represent maturity obviously. Sorry I asked, just don't think its fair to small market teams. Negotiated or not.:popcorn:

You'll understand when you have family and want to buy a house. They might make millions, but they want a stable place to grow their kids like everyone else.

Tre

Jun 23, 2017
When I have family? They are grown and gone. These guys are making millions of dollars from fans that for the most part don't have a lot and idolize them. I just don't feel sorry for a guy that doesn't want to play in a smaller market because they are not anonymous when they leave the rink. For the most part smaller citys are safer for raising families. Usually colder and higher taxed though.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
When I have family? They are grown and gone. These guys are making millions of dollars from fans that for the most part don't have a lot and idolize them. I just don't feel sorry for a guy that doesn't want to play in a smaller market because they are not anonymous when they leave the rink. For the most part smaller citys are safer for raising families. Usually colder and higher taxed though.
Lol. Players have more anonymity in small market towns than large market ones. And there isn't much correlation between small vs. large city for weather, if any, it would be the large city markets are colder.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

1. No trade clause has nothing to do with parity

2. NO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Owners want it because it means they can use it to pay players less. Players want it because it can let them control their movement.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's almost as if contracts pertain to the lives and livelihoods of actual human beings who have people and places they love.

This

There are all sorts of reasons a city may end up on players no trade list. One of the biggest reasons is because the teams are bad and they want a chance to play for a cup. Yes, sometimes its because it's a small town in the middle of the frozen tundra, but players seem equally likely to add Toronto/Montreal to their no trades just because of the insane media pressure. If your team is bad and also either MTL/TO or in the frozen tundra you're just screwed.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Lol. Players have more anonymity in small market towns than large market ones. And there isn't much correlation between small vs. large city for weather, if any, it would be the large city markets are colder.

This. Plus I'm not sure that small towns are safer. Players don't live in the dangerous parts of a metro area. Do you think the LA Kings players live in Chesterfield Square instead of Manhattan Beach? And places like Nashville (a small metro area that's safer than 6% of US cities), Columbus (small metro area that's safer than 8% of US cities), or St. Louis (which has the highest violent crime rate in the US) are less safe overall than places like NYC (safer than 27% of cities) or LA (safer than 19% of US cities).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/new-york/crime

NTCs help players by giving them and their families a choice about where they'll be living for the next several years. They help teams by keeping costs down since players are willing to take less money than if they didn't have an NTC. NTCs don't mean that a player can't be traded, they mean that the player will have some control over where he'll be working and living if the team decides to trade him.

Plus, as others have said, as teams improve, they tend to drop off players' NT lists. If you want to attract good players, have a better team.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Why allow them? Why hand them out?

If you can't walk away from a Kris Russell unless you give him a NTC, you are not a good GM.

What was Russell going to do, not sign this deal???

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Owners want it because it means they can use it to pay players less. Players want it because it can let them control their movement.

Exactly. It's the kind of arrangement that can be a win-win for both sides.

It isn't without risk, however.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Agree with OP, they are ********. MILLIONS of dollars should be enough compensation..

This is an entertainment business and NTC's take away entertainment.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Agree with OP, they are ********. MILLIONS of dollars should be enough compensation..

This is an entertainment business and NTC's take away entertainment.

Yah, why should humans get to have a chance to decide what city they work in and whether their kids will have to move around changing schools!? I want to be goddamn entertained on trade deadline day!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad