Why 2nd rounders are most coveted

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Well, the tricky thing for me is that I always considered late firsts #25-30 to just be early 2nd round picks and vice versa where #31-#35 were late firsts.

Trading 2nd round picks has been the Leafs Achilles heel for years now. Well, until the introduction of the Shanahan management team.

2nd's hold value because you still have an opportunity to draft one of the top 60 prospects in the world, so teams like to acquire that, and on the other side 2nd round picks are not as valuable as 1st round picks and so teams are more willing to offer them in trades to sweeten the pot enough to get a deal done.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Pretty much what we did at last years draft. I like the idea of acquiring picks, mainly 2nds. 1sts are obviously much nicer, but also cost a whole lot more. We've seen some steals in the 2nd round, Subban, Weber etc. it's not always gonna be a home run but we're giving ourselves a much better chance for the future this way

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
Pretty much what we did at last years draft. I like the idea of acquiring picks, mainly 2nds. 1sts are obviously much nicer, but also cost a whole lot more. We've seen some steals in the 2nd round, Subban, Weber etc. it's not always gonna be a home run but we're giving ourselves a much better chance for the future this way

After the 10th pick...the next 20-30 picks are of similar quality.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Yikes, what a horrible article. It's missing all logic.

The Leafs have gotten many second round picks because they haven't traded anything worth a first. First round picks by non-playoff teams are worth a lot more in the new lottery system.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't say that 2nds are "most wanted" it's just that teams simply aren't moving 1st round picks for rentals anymore - unless they are a top talent.

That said, 2nds in terms of draft value are often very underrated. In terms of getting an impact NHLer at the draft, there isn't much of a gap between picks 15-60.

bigcotch

Feb 14, 2016
Yikes, what a horrible article. It's missing all logic.

The Leafs have gotten many second round picks because they haven't traded anything worth a first. First round picks by non-playoff teams are worth a lot more in the new lottery system.

Not many non playoff teams will trade their first because of the new lottery system.

TobyWong

Jul 21, 2010
Amsterdam
They may be the most traded but they are clearly not the most coveted. I'll give you a first or a second - which would you rather have? That's the most coveted.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not many non playoff teams will trade their first because of the new lottery system.

ok, but here is the thing that I don't get big

can they not put a stipulation on that first?

if it actually wins one of the top 3 spots, the team keeps their 1rst.?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Well, the tricky thing for me is that I always considered late firsts #25-30 to just be early 2nd round picks and vice versa where #31-#35 were late firsts.

Trading 2nd round picks has been the Leafs Achilles heel for years now. Well, until the introduction of the Shanahan management team.

2nd's hold value because you still have an opportunity to draft one of the top 60 prospects in the world, so teams like to acquire that, and on the other side 2nd round picks are not as valuable as 1st round picks and so teams are more willing to offer them in trades to sweeten the pot enough to get a deal done.

Sorta true, but really each draft is different, where talent levels fluctuate.

One draft may have a lot of similar value picks in the 10-30 range, another could be top 10 heavy, another could be top 3 only, then thin 5-20, then heavy 25-50.

We're likely seeing the latter for the 2016 draft, based on the way teams are going hard after 2nd rounders but not so hard after 1sts.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
These extra 2nds sure give us options.

We could go acquire some youngish players like Buffalo did, or move up/down at the draft pretty much at will.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
ok, but here is the thing that I don't get big

can they not put a stipulation on that first?

if it actually wins one of the top 3 spots, the team keeps their 1rst.?

Absolutely no doubt the Leafs should have put conditions on the 1st Rounder we gave up in the Kessel deal, even if it was top 2 protected. If Boston said no, walk away.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Agreed, with a caveat. The draft depth, and strength. The deeper the perceived quality, the less difference between 1st and 2nd, but for the most part, I support your view.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Lots of seconds give you options to go after a high risk/high reward player. Now if you only had one second rounder you would probably go after the player with the highest chance of making the NHL. If you have a couple 2nd rounders you might take some chances on players getting bigger or faster, etc.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
2nds are like $20 dollar bills

ever store accepts them

can't say that about $100s and $50s

some of the greates home run picks are 2nds

pk,bergereon,keith,weber yada yada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad