Whose presence alone prevented them from needing to fight often?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Funny thing about Potvin and Robinson is that Dennis has nearly double amount of pim and many many more fights.That could mean a lot to different people.Was one more meaner or were players scared at times to fight Big Bird.Larry was never quite the same after he lost a fight to Jim Hutchichon of leafs in a pre season game

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Im not saying guys didnt back away, clearly some did. What Im saying is if I was a Coach or GM, a team mate of such I'd be none too happy with that player. Does. Not. Matter.... you play hockey you play to win and if that means dropping them with Howe or a psych job you'd better be prepared to do exactly that. Its all out war. You cant always pick your opponents and if some Lugan who outweighs you by 50lbs & is a foot taller it doesnt matter. You go A.N.I.M.A.L Baby. Dont matter. Doesnt matter that Howe "takes my number". That I wind up with 60 stitches & a concussion. Lost the fight. What matters is that I showed up & tried. I fought. Will fight you again & dont care if I lose again I'll still hurt you on my way down. Absolutely. No fear. Used to be you didnt make it to The Show by showing the whites of your eyeballs, turn tail running, turtle. No Sir. You fought & you fought to win. Hard as nails. No mercy. Fontinato, Green, Howe... does... not... matter. Yer a Meatstick & yer goin down.

I have heard though in an interview (or read, don't remember, long time ago) that it wasn't necessarily the fights that would make Howe so fearsome (though he very likely could hold his own, didn't have to very often) but that he would just cheapshot you sometimes later, even games later.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have heard though in an interview (or read, don't remember, long time ago) that it wasn't necessarily the fights that would make Howe so fearsome (though he very likely could hold his own, didn't have to very often) but that he would just cheapshot you sometimes later, even games later.

Ya, making a mental note of someones number & skating away, not bothering to retaliate right then & there as youd draw a penalty. During the 06 era with fairly low player turnover and playing one another much more frequently than today you could get even for whatever at your leisure. Opportune moment when the Ref's not looking, behind the play & BAM!. Next shift or period, next game, next week, month or even next year.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I can't testify to this because i only heard it as an offhand comment, but supposedly Matt Ravlich (mainly with the 1960's Blackhawks) so established himself as a dangerous fighter early on that he wasn't challenged much after that, to the extent that even John Ferguson ducked him. Again, i don't know how much truth there is to this? Maybe some of the posters here who are old enough to remember him can validate or dispute this?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Funny thing about Potvin and Robinson is that Dennis has nearly double amount of pim and many many more fights.That could mean a lot to different people.Was one more meaner or were players scared at times to fight Big Bird.Larry was never quite the same after he lost a fight to Jim Hutchichon of leafs in a pre season game

Yes, Ken Dryden mentions this fight in his book The Game. Your thinking of Dave Hutchison. Defenseman who played in the WHA & NHL over about a 14yr career, 1700+ PIM's. While playing for Toronto paired with Salming, basically watching his back & laying a smackdown on anyone who took liberties. Anyway, took Larry Robinson out with one punch. Knocked him right out. Dryden writing in his book "with that one punch a myth was shattered". That "myth" being that Larry Robinson was a Heavyweight Monster Fighter. Dont wake up the giant, #19. He'll kill you. It was the "myth" that was the deterrent, Robinson never really challenged nor did he ever really win any major decisive fights. People point to him beating up Schultz and though he did win that bout, Schultz wasnt carried off limping by the Trainers or anything. Was still mouthing off, acting the psycho after the fight had been broken up.... but really, fighting was not Robinsons game at all. Brilliant Defenseman. You dont want a guy like that in the Penalty Box, getting hurt in some meaningless fight. Montreal later on bringing in guys like John Kordic to do that.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I cannot help but think that the sight of Orland Kurtenbach coming over the boards would usually ensure good behaviour. Yes, the man fought but his higher late career offensive production suggests he got a lot of extra space.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Messier's tough guy status is overrated. He was mean, and borderline dirty and you had to keep your head on a swivel when he was on the ice. But, he never really demolished anyone in a fight... not anyone really tough anyway. McSorley certainly wasn't intimidated by him. To me it seemed as though referees or teammates would jump in pretty quick any time there was serious trouble. Maybe I'm just remembering the end of his career... still, he never had Gillies' presence, intimidation-wise.

I'd put him below Barry Beck and Behn Wilson... two legitimately scary dudes.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I cannot help but think that the sight of Orland Kurtenbach coming over the boards would usually ensure good behaviour. Yes, the man fought but his higher late career offensive production suggests he got a lot of extra space.

Aha! According to former & long-time NHL Linesman Matt Pavelich, of the 5 Top Fighters he'd ever seen up close & personal Kurtenbach absolutely ranked #1. In the #2 spot he had Gordie Howe; #3 was John Ferguson; #4 & surprising likely to some he had Bobby Orr and at #5, Teddy Harris. Honorable mentions went to Rosaire Paiment and Simon Nolet, Nolet the only player John Ferguson lost fights to (twice) & Paiment taking the win over Orr once or twice as well.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I can't testify to this because i only heard it as an offhand comment, but supposedly Matt Ravlich (mainly with the 1960's Blackhawks) so established himself as a dangerous fighter early on that he wasn't challenged much after that, to the extent that even John Ferguson ducked him. Again, i don't know how much truth there is to this? Maybe some of the posters here who are old enough to remember him can validate or dispute this?

Ya, I remember that guy. Chicago, Detroit & LA I believe. Defenseman. Average size & build but one Hell of a fighter... and I can confirm that story is true. 65 Playoffs John Ferguson went nuts, attacked & beat up Eric Nesterenko & Ravlich went straight for Fergie who literally turned tail & skated as far away as possible. Wanted no part of him. Had a wicked upper cut, much like Dan Maloney.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Aha! According to former & long-time NHL Linesman Matt Pavelich, of the 5 Top Fighters he'd ever seen up close & personal Kurtenbach absolutely ranked #1. In the #2 spot he had Gordie Howe; #3 was John Ferguson; #4 & surprising likely to some he had Bobby Orr and at #5, Teddy Harris. Honorable mentions went to Rosaire Paiment and Simon Nolet, Nolet the only player John Ferguson lost fights to (twice) & Paiment taking the win over Orr once or twice as well.

Referee, Art Skov, also ranked him as the toughest. If you recall in a past posting, I also felt that he was the toughest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad