Prospect Info: Who's Your Favorite Fixer Upper?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We have a zillion draft threads, but I want to take a different angle here. I'd like to hear especially from our posters that really watch the developmental leagues and have a handle (relative to the rest of us armchair quarterbacks) on how guys work on shortcomings in their game.

Let's say Power and Beniers are gone. You get to magically make one guy fall to 6, but you can only fix only one area of his game. (But you get to fix that one area completely.)

1) Name the prospect and the one aspect you'd fix, and 2) talk about how you'd fix it - what league(s) to develop them in, what staff to assign them, how long they'd need at each step, etc.

So who's your favorite fixer upper?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Isn’t this the easiest question ever?

Brandt Clarke - skating mechanics

By most accounts it’s the only reason he’s not the number one prospect in this class. He has every other thing that you’d be looking for in terms of valuing defensemen. He’s got NHL size, a supposed elite brain, offensive skill set is best among defensemen, he’s competent and engaged defensively.

Fixing Clarke’s skating and you feel like you have the best chance at capturing a Drew Doughty like prospect

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

By most accounts it’s the only reason he’s not the number one prospect in this class. He has every other thing that you’d be looking for in terms of valuing defensemen. He’s got NHL size, a supposed elite brain, offensive skill set is best among defensemen, he’s competent and engaged defensively.

Fixing Clarke’s skating and you feel like you have the best chance at capturing a Drew Doughty like prospect

Wasn't Mark Stone, Jamie Benn and Brayden Point prospects with same flaws?

And they did get developed over it, and turned into superstars.

Maybe nobody throws 1st on those guys? Spread the risk with multiple low rounders and hope that one miracle happens?

Reactions: wings95

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
kenneth pasha johnson . ide send him to george st pierres gym to fix his diet and make him more rugged . besides mixed martial arts training he'd be on light weights and body weight stuff to turn him into an absolute wirery hard body . ide send him to 'pasha the 1st' for training too . the plan is turning him into the next , plus new and improved , datsyuk ...

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd take Edvinsson and improve his offensive creativity. To develop him I'd first talk to his team in Sweden. If he'll get first pairing minutes and PP time, I'd leave him there. If not, I'd find him somewhere that he can get a lot of PP time. I'd have video coaches going over decisions he made and alternatives he could consider. I'd have him watch a lot of video from creative defenseman. I'd have him do that Gretzky exercise where he traces the pucks movement as he watches a game. I'd get him to watch defensive systems and ask him to point out ways that he could beat them. Stuff like that. Because if Edvinsson can put all of his tools together and develop a creative offensive game, he'll be one of the best players in the league.

Reactions: jkutswings

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
William Eklund.

Put him on the growth hormones they gave Messi to make him hit 6’0” and you just stole the best player in the draft at 6.:thumbu:

And make him a clear center.

(Unless you're saying that size is the only/main reason he's not a clear center - Which, I don't think is the only reason.)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And make him a clear center.

(Unless you're saying that size is the only/main reason he's not a clear center - Which, I don't think is the only reason.)

In Swedish leagues the deployment is very different for a center, who often acts more like a 3rd defenseman. It's very much like a soccer deployment: Attack with your wings/strikers while using the midfielder to advance the ball and acting as a link between defense and the offensive attack, but not the driver of it.

Other Euro leagues don't really play that way from what I've seen. In Finland the center has a strong role in the attack when you look at guys like Salminen, Kapanen, Aho, Lundell. In Russia the center has a lot of defensive responsibility but also helps to cycle the puck down low. And in most North American systems the center is your everything.

I think in a different system Eklund could be converted to center and be a pretty good one. But in the SHL the majority of top 10 scorers were wingers. The top scorer, Marek Hrivik, was only center part time this year. If we were to draft Eklund and leave him over there he'd probably develop better as a winger than center if we want him to improve his offensive game.
Statistik spelare 2020/2021 - SHL.se

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess Clarke and Johnson are the fixer-upper types in the top 10 for me.

I am more comfortable with Johnson, because I think he will naturally gain weight and get stronger as he physically matures over the next few years. I think some lower body strength would help with his skating as well.

I’m not sure how limited Clarke is with his skating or how much work is needed there.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Clarke is the guy I want the most in this draft anyways, so I second and third your opinion and agree that it is the obvious answer here. :thumbu:

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I guess Clarke and Johnson are the fixer-upper types in the top 10 for me.

I am more comfortable with Johnson, because I think he will naturally gain weight and get stronger as he physically matures over the next few years. I think some lower body strength would help with his skating as well.

I’m not sure how limited Clarke is with his skating or how much work is needed there.
While I view strength as an area of needed improvement for Johnson, I don't think that's the same as what needs fixing. I think Kent needs to work on how he processes the game. Not that he doesn't have a good hockey IQ, but that 10 dekes in a phone booth isn't the one tool at his disposal.

In a way it's similar to Larkin's growing pains the first few years. He went from always using his my speed to the outside, to opponents adjusting and him struggling, to him adjusting and becoming more effective again.

I think Kent Johnson has tremendous offensive potential. But even with another year or two before joining the NHL, he's in for a rude awakening with what does and doesn't work against the best in the world.

Now yes, he himself getting bigger, stronger, and faster will make said toolkit somewhat more effective. But I think reading the situation - and being more prudent, rather than wanting yet another spin-o-rama - will be an even bigger benefit.

Reactions: Realgud

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
While I view strength as an area of needed improvement for Johnson, I don't think that's the same as what needs fixing. I think Kent needs to work on how he processes the game. Not that he doesn't have a good hockey IQ, but that 10 dekes in a phone booth isn't the one tool at his disposal.

In a way it's similar to Larkin's growing pains the first few years. He went from always using his my speed to the outside, to opponents adjusting and him struggling, to him adjusting and becoming more effective again.

I think Kent Johnson has tremendous offensive potential. But even with another year or two before joining the NHL, he's in for a rude awakening with what does and doesn't work against the best in the world.

Now yes, he himself getting bigger, stronger, and faster will make said toolkit somewhat more effective. But I think reading the situation - and being more prudent, rather than wanting yet another spin-o-rama - will be an even bigger benefit.

People really worry about him translating all those puck skills, and perhaps due to flashy players failing in the past, but I truly see him as more likely to be Claude Giroux than Tomas Jurco.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He’s already shown he can adjust moving from the BCHL to the NCAA.

People who saw him in his -1 season said he was just toying with guys and dominant. I think Mark Edwards or Craig button that said he’s one of the most dominant he’s seen at that level.

The NCAA is a big jump from the BCHL (ask Dennis Cholowski) and the kid put up a point a game as a freshman at 18 and helped form one of the best lines at that level.

He tries a lot of risky moves, but it’s the same stuff we heard about Zegras, and I think a lot of us would take Zegras.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think you're fixing Clarke's skating. That stride has a lot of problems. Which is important when you talk about this with names like Benn, Point, etc... Most of the guys that aren't great skaters you hear but his stride is fine, or he needs more power. Clarke is much more akin to Hudler, where his knees knock and he gets things done because he is that good. But I don't think you should expect to fix his skating, I mean hey if Yzerman and the boys think they can have at it. But that is a big gamble in my opinion. You can still like the player enough to take him, just his skating mechanics are bad, that is a big part of the problem here not necessarily what we talk about with a good chunk of younger skaters where you project it a lot better in a few years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People really worry about him translating all those puck skills, and perhaps due to flashy players failing in the past, but I truly see him as more likely to be Claude Giroux than Tomas Jurco.

Johnson just creates a ton of offense in general. Yeah I think some of it will go away at the highest level in terms of that play won't really work. But a ton of what he does still will, biggest being his hands combined with his vision is an elite combination. He makes a ton of correct soft passes and in stride plays, I just think he is a guy that makes guys around him a lot better. I actually think the acceleration in pace will help him, but I understand those concerned by how his game responds to the speed of the NHL.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Johnson just creates a ton of offense in general. Yeah I think some of it will go away at the highest level in terms of that play won't really work. But a ton of what he does still will, biggest being his hands combined with his vision is an elite combination. He makes a ton of correct soft passes and in stride plays, I just think he is a guy that makes guys around him a lot better. I actually think the acceleration in pace will help him, but I understand those concerned by how his game responds to the speed of the NHL.

Exactly. I see the Marner comparison a lot, and I get it, but I think if people want a large body of work to see how that skillset can translate to the NHL - look no further than Giroux.

Here's The Hockey News scouting profile on Giroux. If I changed the name to Johnson I'm not sure anyone could tell without careful examination.

Assets: Has electric moves, outstanding offensive creativity and smarts, as well as plenty of finishing skills. Is at his best with the puck on his stick. Has amazing hands, which he uses to lay soft passes on linemates’ sticks. Can play both center and wing. Dominates on special teams.

Flaws: Doesn’t shoot the puck instinctively, so he tends to pass up quality scoring chances from time to time. Lacks ideal size to win corner battles at the highest level but is extremely courageous and resilient, and physical play doesn’t bother him. Will turn the puck over, since he has it so often.

Giroux’s greatest talent is his playmaking ability. Boasting excellent hands and great vision, the diminutive winger is able to use his quick skating ability to turn something out of nothing. Giroux, despite his size disadvantage, does not mind getting his nose dirty, and will stand in to take a hit in order to make a play. He does get bodied often, but the shifty winger is agile enough to avoid checks on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00