Who's The Third Best Player In NHL History?

Who's the third best ever?

• Morenz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shore

• Richard

• Beliveau

• Bobby Hull

• Bourque

• Messier

• Roy

• Plante

• Lidstrom

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Because the HOH board is the paragon of objectivity, right?

I think generally speaking there's more knowledgeable discussion there than you see on many subsections here.

Of course there will be bias in any discussion, this is the internet lol

In any event, doesn't change my general point that the Lemieux and Orr vote was so close that a run off would have been nice.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Orr might've had the highest ceiling, but Howe's numbers are staggering over the course of an absurdly long career. He played in over 5 decades. The early years(40's, 50's, 60's) during the original 6 era were when points were harder to come by.

Keep in mind that he was also a ferocious physical presence in all areas of the ice. Even older members like me never saw him during his glory years in the early and mid 50's. I remember him in the mid 60's(during his mid late 30's, when most players had retired, back then), often finishing in the top 5 in scoring, and cruising around the ice relatively untouched. I thought it was because he was so respected(there was no doubt back then that he was a Superstar), not realizing that other players were petrified of making him mad.

I don't know who was the better player, because I never saw Howe in his prime. I do know that Howe had the better career.

Orr was spectacular, and I would take him any day over Lemieux. He would skate circles around him. Hell, I'm not sure that a young Beliveau wasn't Lemieux's match. It was a different game pre expansion, with much tighter defense. Very tough, also.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think generally speaking there's more knowledgeable discussion there than you see on many subsections here.

Of course there will be bias in any discussion, this is the internet lol

In any event, doesn't change my general point that the Lemieux and Orr vote was so close that a run off would have been nice.
Oh they're definitely knowledgeable, which is why I go to that section in the first place. As far as evaluating players, I take their opinions with a huge grain of salt; I don't need to hear about how players in the past will always be better than the ones today.

Reactions: snipes

HC7

May 2, 2018

Look at all of his highlights. He played against plumbers. I've seen better D in shinny games.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Look at all of his highlights. He played against plumbers. I've seen better D in shinny games.

Wow. That is really telling. That defence is pathetic and the goalie's are twigs. Karlsson would score 300 points

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Wow. That is really telling. That defence is pathetic and the goalie's are twigs. Karlsson would score 300 points
U know it doesn't work like that. Karlsson looks so much better because he's learned from past generations and has better equipment/ training to make his shot and game more polished. If he grew up in that era he wouldn't look as good as he does today

Reactions: HappyGilmourr

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
U know it doesn't work like that. Karlsson looks so much better because he's learned from past generations and has better equipment/ training to make his shot and game more polished. If he grew up in that era he wouldn't look as good as he does today
That's true but the poll is asking for the best, not the greatest. I think there's a distinction to be made there, and I think it's fair to say that the players today stand on the shoulders of giants, but in terms of ability and skill the players today are far ahead of players from the 60s and 70s.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ugh. Howe so disrespected.
Being the unanimous 4th best of all time is disrespect?

Not arguable. He is.
It's definitely arguable. We all love Orr, and you can thank Perry Sound for lending him to you, but take your Bruins goggles off. I voted Orr for #2 but I don't think there is any real argument that can put 1 over the other.

Lemeiux was an artist on ice, who has amazing athletic gifts, and put up stats that are absolutely mind boggling.

Orr was a pioneer, and it can be argued that there was never a time where such a huge gap existed between one play and the field. He did something Lemeiux can't claim - he changed the game.

Both are absolute legends that every Canadian child learns about growing up, and will continue to for many eras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad