Who's the MVP?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Since there's only a few weeks left in the season I thought I'd ask everyone who would be on their short list (5 or 6 guys) for MVP this year.

For me my short list is (in no particular order):

Boucher or Sarault
Subban
Trocheck
Locke
Strome

And before someone calls me a homer for putting Locke on the list I will say that If I had to pick right now from my list, I'd take Boucher. But Locke should be taken into consideration.

So what would your guys' list look like?

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Jordan Binnington is at the top of my list right now. The Attack have the best goals against in the league and he's been the main reason for that. Offensively, they can't keep up with the other big boys of the West.

After that it's Subban. I think the Red Tilson is a goalie race this year.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Jordan Binnington is at the top of my list right now. The Attack have the best goals against in the league and he's been the main reason for that. Offensively, they can't keep up with the other big boys of the West.

After that it's Subban. I think the Red Tilson is a goalie race this year.

I would add Franky Palazzese to the goaltending list but I have no issues with either Locke or Trochek winning the Tilson.

Brock...how about a list of "unheralded" MVP skaters that doesn't put up MVP numbers but just help their team win.
My nominees....Nathan Chiarlitti (Owen Sound) and Ben Fanelli (Kitchener)......others??

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Rethought my short list and now this is the order I have them in (Not my final list. This will be a working list for the remainder of the regular season):

1) Trocheck
2) Locke
3) Strome
4) Subban
5) Boucher

Main reason I moved Boucher down so far is because Sarnia may fall alittle bit before the season is done even with his great stats. If they can stay above 8th I'd move him back up again.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I would add Franky Palazzese to the goaltending list but I have no issues with either Locke or Trochek winning the Tilson.

Brock...how about a list of "unheralded" MVP skaters that doesn't put up MVP numbers but just help their team win.
My nominees....Nathan Chiarlitti (Owen Sound) and Ben Fanelli (Kitchener)......others??

Interesting idea. I like it. Perhaps the concept for a Top 10 in the future.

Off the top of my head (on top of the two you already listed)...

Barclay Goodrow, Scott Harrington, Brandon Alderson, Ryan O'Connor, Scott Kosmachuk.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011

Nathan Chiarlitti is probably the most under appreciated player in the OHL. He's on pace to shatter Owen Sound's plus/minus record and has done more for Chris Bigras as an NHL prospect than anyone may ever realize. He's a leader on and off the ice and if Owen Sound can pull off any upsets this year, it could come off his play in big game situations.

If he didn't play on the worst team in the OHL in his NHL Draft year as a defensive defenseman he likely would have got picked. But guys in his situation tend to get overlooked. I've had two different OHLers say that Nathan is the one player they're most surprised never got an NHL camp invite. Hopefully he gets one this year because he's earned it.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Interesting idea. I like it. Perhaps the concept for a Top 10 in the future.

Off the top of my head (on top of the two you already listed)...

Barclay Goodrow, Scott Harrington, Brandon Alderson, Ryan O'Connor, Scott Kosmachuk.

Camara has to be on this list no? Well over a ppg and nearly .75 gpg. I would guess the Colts are ~.700 team with him, ~.500 without.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Rethought my short list and now this is the order I have them in (Not my final list. This will be a working list for the remainder of the regular season):

1) Trocheck
2) Locke
3) Strome
4) Subban
5) Boucher

Main reason I moved Boucher down so far is because Sarnia may fall alittle bit before the season is done even with his great stats. If they can stay above 8th I'd move him back up again.

I think if Strome gets into the top 3 in scoring (and I think he might), he has to get very strong consideration. He's like Sakic on the 89-90/90-91 Nordiques.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Id go with Subban as the best player on a conf leading team.

Others metnioned have been real solid as well.

I cant put any1 from London on the list.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Not sure you can place Boucher ahead of teammate Sarault. For anyone who watches the Sarnia Sting regularly, they will undoubtedly tell you that Sarault is the engine on this team.

If I were making a list:

1. Trocheck
2. Sarault
3. Subban (he's been great but its a defensive system)
4. Cousins
5. Binnington (similar situation to Subban)

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Not sure you can place Boucher ahead of teammate Sarault. For anyone who watches the Sarnia Sting regularly, they will undoubtedly tell you that Sarault is the engine on this team.

If I were making a list:

1. Trocheck
2. Sarault
3. Subban (he's been great but its a defensive system)
4. Cousins
5. Binnington (similar situation to Subban)

I would put Sarault at the top of the list.

IMAGINE IF SARNIA STILL HAD GALCHENYUK AND YAKUPOV. WOW

massey

Sep 5, 2012

I would forget about Yaki. As much as I like him as a player,Sting are much stronger without him. He was way too much one dimensional player with zero defensive skills and was soft on the puck after loosing it.To me,loosing Gali and Murphy on D is a bigger loss.I think the biggest loss in my eyes yet was trading Charillitti. He was the most underrated D man in the OHL. He did so much for the Sting both on the ice and off.Not Getting rid of Hottot instead of Charillitti has haunted the Sting all year.The Sting is the only team in hockey who had 2 gold metal players in the world jrs and not get 1 of them to return to play for a single game after the worlds.Throw Charillitti,Gali and Murphy on this team and wow,they would be tough to beat.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Sarault is definitely MVP of the Sting (no questions asked) and he's definitely right there with Trocheck but I think VT's age gives him a bit of an edge. Both fantastic players.

Sarault is the ideal hockey player - skilled, works his a$$ off and emphasizes "team player". Tremendous leader.

I would be very interested to see the number of teams that were after him as a free agent. Clearly Anaheim, Toronto and Montreal all showed interest but I am sure there were many many more teams.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Sarault is the ideal hockey player - skilled, works his a$$ off and emphasizes "team player". Tremendous leader.

That is exactly how I would describe Trocheck, too.

While Trocheck has been a tremendous addition to the Whalers, and is a big reason for the team's improved play since arriving at the trade deadline, you could argue that there are other reasons for the team's improved play, too. This hurts his case for league MVP.

1. Mitchel Heard returned from the AHL.
2. Rakell returned from the NHL.
3. Nedeljkovic took over from Mahalak as the #1 goalie.
4. Lorenz and Uvira were also acquired at the trade deadline.
5. Noesen returned from 10 game suspension.

dino200022

That is exactly how I would describe Trocheck, too.

While Trocheck has been a tremendous addition to the Whalers, and is a big reason for the team's improved play since arriving at the trade deadline, you could argue that there are other reasons for the team's improved play, too. This hurts his case for league MVP.

1. Mitchel Heard returned from the AHL.
2. Rakell returned from the NHL.
3. Nedeljkovic took over from Mahalak as the #1 goalie.
4. Lorenz and Uvira were also acquired at the trade deadline.
5. Noesen returned from 10 game suspension.

Nedeljkovic has been a friggin rock to...even with all these factors it is hard to deny what VT has brought to the Whale, he gets my nod. Cant believe no love for Boucher though, I know Sarault has been outstanding but Boucher at 60 plus almost a goal per game and no one is even close to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad