Who's The Greatest Florida Panther Ever?

Who is the greatest player in the history of the franchise?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I voted for Barkov. Bure was iconic due to his playstyle, but he really only had 2 great seasons and didn't really accomplish anything team-wise. If the question was, who had the greatest career or who was the most iconic player to play for the Panthers I'd probably vote Bure. Although, I could be forgetting someone who had a tiny stint there such as Belfour who played his last year with them.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's criminal how underrated Olli Jokinen is around here. He's the all time leader in points for the Panthers! This is OJ and it's not even close!

Also Jagr should be an option. Jagr had several great old man seasons for the Panthers, including the one were he was the oldest player in the NHL to lead his team in points.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For me, it's Beezer pretty easily. Maybe followed by Mellanby i guess. After Vanbiesbrouck it gets super murky.

Bure just isn't a Panther to me. He barely played there, and wasn't really the same. He's probably not even the "best player to ever player for the Panthers", considering they had Jagr briefly. But as the "Greatest Panther"...it can't be a guy who barely played for the team.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
You older Cats fans should be ashamed. The answer is Beezer AINEC. He singlehandedly carried this team to the finals in 1996.

This was my thinking too. Beezer clearly never peaked as high as Bure, and he clearly didn't have the longevity (in a Panthers uniform) as Luongo - but this franchise has been out of the first round one time 25 years. Beezer was, without question, their MVP when they reached the Stanley Cup finals.

As great as he was, Bure player less than three full seasons worth of games in Florida, and Luongo won 2 playoff games in 10 seasons (not saying that's his fault, but you have to consider playoff success when seeing who would be the franchise's MVP).

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'd say Luongo, but I dont follow the cats

I dont see how you can pick Bure, only played there 4 seasons. If you're going off that small number of seasons, the answer is Jagr (played 3 years with Florida)

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This was my thinking too. Beezer clearly never peaked as high as Bure, and he clearly didn't have the longevity (in a Panthers uniform) as Luongo - but this franchise has been out of the first round one time 25 years. Beezer was, without question, their MVP when they reached the Stanley Cup finals.

As great as he was, Bure player less than three full seasons worth of games in Florida, and Luongo won 2 playoff games in 10 seasons (not saying that's his fault, but you have to consider playoff success when seeing who would be the franchise's MVP).

I voted Luongo, but I'm still torn on Beezer because you're right, in terms of value to the franchise, that playoff run is still the only meaningful success they've had and he was the catalyst. I think people also forget how good he was in '94, when he finished 3rd in Hart voting after Fedorov and Hasek, putting up a .924 SV% when the league average was .893

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Three of FLA's best players were also Canucks
Jovo, Bure, Luongo

Can't wait for them to trade us Barkov / Huberdeau / Ekblad

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Three of FLA's best players were also Canucks
Jovo, Bure, Luongo

Can't wait for them to trade us Barkov / Huberdeau / Ekblad

It's pretty crazy how many deals have been made between them and how many players have played for both teams: Adams, Allen, Bertuzzi, Bernier, Booth, Ference, Gagner, Gelinas, Glass, Gubranson, Garrison, Hedican, Higgins, R Johnson, J.Jokinen, Larionov, Lowry, McCann, McCabe, Matthias, Mitchell, O'Brien, Oreskovich, Ritchie, Samuelsson, Sillinger, Skille, Tikkanen, Vanek, Weaver, M.Wilson, Auld, Burke, Markstrom, McLean, Weekes

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
Was going to say that I was surprised Bouwmeester wasn't even an option (not that I think he should win it), but learned he's played more seasons in St Louis than for FLA. Still think he should be an option though.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's got to be Beezer. Lead them to their greatest success, the Prince of Wales trophy, and was there when they started.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Jagr was bad for the Panthers. lol

Bad? I mean, he wasn't some super elite star anymore but his 15-16 season was a really good one. He was 21st in the entire NHL in points and was 7th in Hart voting. He was also voted 4th in his position in All-Star teams.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
For me, it's Beezer pretty easily. Maybe followed by Mellanby i guess. After Vanbiesbrouck it gets super murky.

Bure just isn't a Panther to me. He barely played there, and wasn't really the same. He's probably not even the "best player to ever player for the Panthers", considering they had Jagr briefly. But as the "Greatest Panther"...it can't be a guy who barely played for the team.
Bure was at his peak w the Panthers.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
s-l300.jpg

Greatest panther.
This. GOAT goalie bucket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad