Who's the better leader: Bobby Clarke or Scott Stevens?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What an odd poll. I honestly don't see how it's possible to say one is better than the other. Both among the best leaders of their respective generations. Only edge I can see is that late career Scott Stevens didn't have any discipline issues. But then, I guess Clarke was a better leader at a younger age, so it probably evens out.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I voted Clarke. It's all subjective of course, but I think if someone asked me to name the 5 best leaders ever, Clarke would make the list and Stevens wouldn't.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ooh boy a close one. I had to rest on Clarke though. There are a lot of parallels between them. Philly or New Jersey do not win a Cup without these two. Clarke had that hat trick in Game #2 of the 1974 Cup finals (including the OT winner). If Boston is up 2-0 in the series Philly loses. THAT is leadership.

Then again Stevens changed his game entirely in order to help his team win. He had game changing - even series defining - bodychecks. I know the bleeding hearts nowadays claim he was a dirty hitter (which he wasn't) but keep in mind Stevens won 3 Cups while Lindros won none. The hit in 2000 is a perfect example of why.

That being said Clarke edges him out a bit. How many people know that Clarke was the captain of the 1976 Canada Cup? Over Bobby Hull. Over Phil Esposito. Over Bobby Orr. Philly worships the ground he walks on because of those two Cups even to this day. If you look at Clarke's stats in the playoffs you will see that they are good but not great points wise for an elite HHOFer. That's okay, because his value to a team showed up outside of the scoresheet.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Clarke was a great leader from the moment he put on a Flyer's jersey, and he thrived and relished it. Stevens didn't have to be since the Caps already had some really good leaders in Langway and Jarvis, so he didn't have the burden of leadership that the young Clarke did. So I'll go with Clarke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad