Who's the best goalie in franchise history?

Who's the best goalie in franchise history?

• Total voters

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Tip's system, if it did one thing well, was to limit high danger shots when the guys actually cared about defending. It made any goalie look good, especially if they were big. They could just play the percentages.

Smith got exposed in Calgary for the goalie he has always been.
I don't buy it. Smith is, what, 37? This is Brett Hull in ARZ time.

Those citing career numbers ... how much does that awful 2015 tank job affect them? 3.15 GAA. His first 3 years in ARZ, when we were good / trying, he was nails. When Kyle Chipchura and Sam Gagner was our first line, his numbers were trash, and that hurts the average. The Smith we had those first couple years (the Smith that was picked to the Canadian Olympic team) was a beast, system or not.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sniper said:
Khabibulin can't make a case that he had an all time great level season.
He was top three in save% (.923) and top four in GAA (2.13) in his contract year before the holdout. While Hasek hit his insane .937%, 1.87 GAA numbers that year. Real hard to win a Vezina playing during the Primes of Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.
Those teams weren't awful, but they weren't teams that prop up your numbers either.
His one "bad" year came when they rode him 70 games , and he was still middle of the pack in starting goaltenders.
Guy had two All Star appearances here and two later. I

Smith did absolutely carry us in the Cinderella run. He was fantastic. If we hadn't have resigned him after, he'd probably have a stronger case. Single best-year competition he probably gets the nod over Burke and Khabi. But his tenure here also included an inexcusably bad year, and every year was a rollercoaster, even the playoff run.

Reactions: CC96 and Yandover

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Mike Smith had one career year in 2011-2012, bolstered by a stifling defense with some of the NHL's most experienced defensemen and a final-prime-year Ray Whitney.

Give him props for that. But his entire career body of work shows that that year was an outlier. So he'll always be a ways down on the franchise lists for me.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
It's Sean Burke.

I put Smith in second place, largely because he had a lot to do with us getting to the WCF, but Burke's 2001-02 season was more impressive. Burke got us to the playoffs in the season after Tkachuk and Roenick both left. Beyond Numminen and Markov, that D was not very good.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I say the Bulin wall

I then say Sean Burk... not only for his play but his coaching really made goalies better, and was a big part of Smith having that great run

My favorite was Smith his first year . He was cocky , arrogant , and I loved the way he controlled the puck , and tried to score ..and that one year he really put his money where his mouth was.

Bryz was my second favorite , with all his on camera antics

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad