Who's the best Defenceman in franchise history?

Who's the best Defenceman in franchise history?

• Total voters

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sticking with the theme of the best goalie post, because why not. Again, everything is post-1996.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Games played: 657 (1st)
Goals: 116 (1st)
Assists: 218 (2nd)
Pts/GP: .508 (2nd)
Playoff GP: 16 (T-7th)
Playoff Goals: 1 (T-4th)
Playoff Points: 4 (T-5th)

Keith Yandle
Games played: 558 (3rd)
Goals: 65 (2nd)
Assists: 246 (1st)
Pts/GP: .557 (1st)
Playoff GP: 27 (1st)
Playoff Goals: 3 (T-2nd)
Playoff Points: 19 (1st)

Ed Jovanovski
Games played: 332 (7th)
Goals: 47 (4th)
Assists: 117 (4th)
Pts/GP: .494 (3rd)
Playoff GP: 11 (T-9th)
Playoff Goals: 1 (T-4th)
Playoff Points: 2 (T-7th)

Teppo Numminen
Games played: 551 (4th)
Goals: 55 (3rd)
Assists: 214 (3rd)
Pts/GP: .488 (4th)
Playoff GP: 24 (2nd)
Playoff Goals: 6 (1st)
Playoff Points: 11 (2nd)

Obviously very basic metrics again, which shortchanges guys like Zbynek Michalek and Derek Morris, but these are the four. Good news is there is a certain forward at the top of most of these categories so we can skip that vote.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is a toughie, because some of the stuff about D-men is hard to quantify in stats.

From a purely offensive stat-based position, it'd be hard not to go OEL as #1. But I've got a soft spot for Michalek in his prime. Z was the one guy on the backend upon whom you could absolutely rely in virtually any situation, the complete two-way defender.

My heart wants to pick Teppo #1, but if you limit him to what he did as a Coyote he's not objectively our best.

If you went personality, it would be Yands in a frickin' landslide AINEC.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It's really not close in my opinion. It's OEL by a wide margin.

JovoCop was one of my favorites, he made some grave errors shooting the puck into defenders legs on the PP, which often led to shorties the other way...but he was good. Teppo was a more offensive Hjalmarsson really, so you could see that he would be a popular pick, who doesn't like the no thrills, all work dudes on the back end that give everything they've got. Yands personality will always make him a fan favorite, but we can all agree that his defense is not even remotely in the same ballpark as the other 3, but he was sure fun to watch.

In my book:
OEL

Jovo
Teppo
Yandle

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Franchise or when they moved to AZ..?

Oel in AZ

All time I Liked Phil Housely from offensive perspective...his defensive side left something to be desired

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'll see your 'Pummeling Abdelkader' and raise you 'Yandle's AJ Pirzinski / Gatorade Story from Chiclets'

They're both First Team All-Badass.
That story is the f***ing best! I love ya GMDM but I don't think I'll ever forgive him for trading Yandle, ESPECIALLY knowing Doaner only had a few years left in the tank.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I’d say Ollie and Repo are about even, due to Teppo’s rock solid consistency and having almost double the tenure of OEL, despite OEL having higher peaks.

In about 2 or 3 years though, I’d probably say OEL, unequivocally, unless he falls off a cliff or something.

Reactions: Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad