Whos the best #2 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Err, Andrei Zyuzin.
:lol:
These are my favourite #2 picks of the last ten years discounting this years (though I think Malking might have come #2-3)
1.Heatley
2.Lehtonen
3.Spezza
4.Staal
5.Redden
6.Marleau
7.Legwand
8.Sedin
9.Tverdovsky
10.Zyuzin :mad:

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Leachmeister2000 said:
Err, Andrei Zyuzin.
:lol:
These are my favourite #2 picks of the last ten years discounting this years (though I think Malking might have come #2-3)
1.Heatley
2.Lehtonen
3.Spezza
4.Staal
5.Redden
6.Marleau
7.Legwand
8.Sedin
9.Tverdovsky
10.Zyuzin :mad:

Switch heatley and Lehtonen and that's my list

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Caniacforever said:
No love for Eric Staal once again! I'd take him before Spezza and Malkin, but perhaps i'm a bit of a homer. Heatley and Lehtonen before Staal though, for sure.

I think Malkin and Spezza offensive upsides are higher than Staal, but he seems like such a character guy. Another attribute of Staals that I love is his stride, its so effortless, kind of reminscent of Niedermayer, although i'm sure he isn't as fast as Nieds right now. Concussion aside, i'd take Malkin, but as it is, i'd take Staal. I'd also take Staal ahead of Spezza, something just rubs me the wrong way about that kid. I couldn't tell you why if you asked though.

Safir*

Yashin. :lol

No seriously.

I'll take Heatley & Lethonen over everybody mentioned so far.

God, it feels even better that both are on one of favorite teams. HEYO. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I think that heatley is the hands down choice at the minute of #2 draft choices and think its hard to even compare lehtonen malkin or spezza(who have done little to compare with heatleys all star nhl career so far)

After Heatley I think its a bit of a toss up
I would rate lehtonen at the top because he looks to be a star in the league but has yet to do so.
although from all accounts so far malkin also looks to be a franchise player whenever he gets to the nhl.
I do like stall and spezza as well, although i do wonder if people are starting to get the impression spezza is not nearly as good as he was touted to be gonig into the draft with kovalchuk? were they not basically at one point in that draft year said to be neck and neck for the 1 overall pick and then kovalchuk has been great in the nhl and spezza has started slow.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm sure Milbury would rather have a franchise goalie than a player about to go to jail. ;)

let me look at that trade:

Panthers got: Luongo, Jokinen, a draft pick

Islanders got: 1st (DiPietro), Parrish, Kvasha

if that was me I would take Milbury and knock some sense into the guy.

Though DiPietro is good, IMO he won't be as good as Luongo so Luongo would have been the goalie, Jokinen is better than Parrish or Kvasha and they could have picked Gaborik or Heatley

lets see have DiPietro, Kvasha and Parrish or

Luongo, Jokinen and Gaborik/Heatley

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
moosefan said:
let me look at that trade:

Panthers got: Luongo, Jokinen, a draft pick

Islanders got: 1st (DiPietro), Parrish, Kvasha

if that was me I would take Milbury and knock some sense into the guy.

Though DiPietro is good, IMO he won't be as good as Luongo so Luongo would have been the goalie, Jokinen is better than Parrish or Kvasha and they could have picked Gaborik or Heatley

lets see have DiPietro, Kvasha and Parrish or

Luongo, Jokinen and Gaborik/Heatley

That trade has to be looked at with some context. At the time, Jokinen looked to be a bust in the making and simply a throw-in on the deal. Luongo was highly regarded but hadn't shown all that much yet. Parrish and Kvasha were both brought in to provide scoring and size to the Islanders, and have done that to a certain extent. It's a bad deal for sure, but part of that has to do with Jokinen breaking out in the period since it happened.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm sure Milbury would rather have a franchise goalie than a player about to go to jail. ;)

I don't think he'll do any time. Unless he's up on charges of having to most missing teeth.

capman29

monster_bertuzzi said:

But Mad Mike has neither and that is why the Islanders are a bad team. ;)

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Spezza-great player not the greatest of skaters though. Malking-great player.....but his concussion worries me.

I dont understand why people keep bringing this up. He completely recovered and then dominated the U18 tourney. Sure it was a serious concussion, but, he completely recovered from it within weeks. Then proved to the world that it didnt phase him.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
No love for Eric Staal once again! I'd take him before Spezza and Malkin, but perhaps i'm a bit of a homer. Heatley and Lehtonen before Staal though, for sure.

A bit of a Homer?

Heatley, Lehtonen, Malkin and Spezza before Staal for sure.\\

Not to knock Staal, hes a great player - I was hoping the Penguins would take him last year. But I would take the other 4 over him just because of their offensive upsides and of course, Lehtonen is a franchise goaltender... well eventually.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Caniacforever said:
Nope, nothing you have ever said would lead me to believe you're a homer ... :shakehead

:lol j/k man

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Alex Kovalev said:
I dont understand why people keep bringing this up. He completely recovered and then dominated the U18 tourney. Sure it was a serious concussion, but, he completely recovered from it within weeks. Then proved to the world that it didnt phase him.

You have to understand that those statements are coming from from someone who saw half his team out injured with concussions last year; and concussions are cumulative. So IMO it is a big deal.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Teezax said:
I remember when Alex Daigle got drafter 1st overall and he was quoted as saying, "I'm happy I was chosen first, no one remembers who goes 2nd." And in that year it just happened to be a guy named Chris Pronger. Oh sweet irony!

Who is this Chris Pronger? Any Harts or anything so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad