Who's Responsible For Making Canucks Players Docile?

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
I'm asking you guys because I'm looking for some insight into the Canucks' coaches/staff and their coaching style. Ex: "Jarvis has been known to preach a "stick heavy" game as he believes physicality leads to being out of position" (Disclaimer: not a valid statement)

I see this trend happening over and over and it has to be something instructed of players.

Virtanen, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, etc. all look like they've been injected with Nylander's Special Soft Formula .' Like really, what happened ?

Only thing that makes sense is "saving it for playoffs", but that's what was said last playoffs and a genetic defected 3rd liner in Ferland put the fear of God in this team.

Is Vancouver just not meant to be physical? If that's the case, why not build around a bunch of Vrbatas because that's what they try to turn the players into anyways?

So what's the deal ?

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
classic certain posters. Team is bad so its someone elses fault they are docile. Bennings big bad Gudbranson didn't work out hey?

darn :popcorn:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
When AV was here they played a perimeter denial game in the zone but before that they held up the opposing team at the line. So many forays were prevented by denying zone entry in the first place. The team had a pretty heavy forecheck, but maybe because we had some speedy guys who could get in there and were just like that, such as Kesler and Burrows at their best.

When Torts was here they played a collapsing defence in the zone but they had an even more aggressive forecheck and they played a trap. So it was similar to the way they played before. And of course Torts emphasized always taking the body.

Willie in Dallas had an aggressive forecheck but it's more to spark offence through turnovers. He doesn't have a huge emphasis on physicality IMO. More importantly, this year they are encouraging the defence to back into the defensive zone and to rely on the forwards coming back so they can play as a 5-man defensive unit. So there's no "aggressive" part of the hockey structure compared to the previous two coaches.

We have the least physical set of players here in awhile.

The Sedins are slower and Hansen is hurt so a lot of their possession is taken away, and that has always been a way this team has avoided defending in the first place.

That's what I see in terms of actual hockey terms. And I can see how you think it leads to a more "docile" team. But remember we've never been a banger-type team to begin with.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Canucks even with Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Virtanen are still the lightest team in the league. Everytime the Canucks get physical or aquire physical players they get targeted and suspended and or injured.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Regarding Jarvis:

With Jarvis we've adopted the new system of the forwards retreating back earlier to neutral ice earlier than we did before. It's supposed to stop/minimize the opposing teams chances as they turn back up the ice with the puck.

So in theory you convert their chances to your own,but you also have your forwards using less pressure as they lose the puck and retreat rather than trying to regain puck control right away...

That's my way of putting it, but if you want a different explanation it's in the article. I just tried to summarize.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canucks-win-now-new-defensive-system-1.3816871

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm asking you guys because I'm looking for some insight into the Canucks' coaches/staff and their coaching style. Ex: "Jarvis has been known to preach a "stick heavy" game as he believes physicality leads to being out of position" (Disclaimer: not a valid statement)

I see this trend happening over and over and it has to be something instructed of players.

Virtanen, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, etc. all look like they've been injected with Nylander's Special Soft Formula .' Like really, what happened ?

Only thing that makes sense is "saving it for playoffs", but that's what was said last playoffs and a genetic defected 3rd liner in Ferland put the fear of God in this team.

Is Vancouver just not meant to be physical? If that's the case, why not build around a bunch of Vrbatas because that's what they try to turn the players into anyways?

So what's the deal ?

Jake was our #1 hitter last season but he's also a petulant kid that likes to blindside players that embarrass him (Polak) as well as slam their heads into the boards after he hits them (Nordstrom)

Gud tries. I give him credit for trying. He's just not very good at it.

I think Tryamkin was really freaked by that freak leg breaking of Brad Richardson. Up to that point, I saw some pretty nasty play from him.

Despite what you've heard, Sbisa is NOT good in scrums. He's a bit of a gentle giant. Always has been, always will be.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
classic certain posters. Team is bad so its someone elses fault they are docile. Bennings big bad Gudbranson didn't work out hey?

darn :popcorn:

Also don't see him mentioning how great Virtanen is anymore. And still takes a shot at nylander :laugh:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

So what's the deal ?

if the canucks initiate a physical style, the sedins will get hit more. the sedins are too old to be hit a lot.

i think it is as simple as that.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
if the canucks initiate a physical style, the sedins will get hit more. the sedins are too old to be hit a lot.

i think it is as simple as that.

Could also say that since the Canucks dont hit enough, other teams take liberties already without fear of reprocussion. See Hansen, Sedin, Larsen, etc

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
No point discussing who's "responsible" for the way the Canucks play or the style of play that their roster is constructed for. These questions imply there's a plan or strategy for this team. There isn't one, there's just a cadre of morons veering wildly from bad idea to bad idea.

The coach's idea of instruction (according to jake virtanen) is to tell guys to "be more consistent." Anybody who's listened to the GM speak for more than 30 seconds understands that he has almost no idea what he's doing and no ability to set a coherent tone or direction for the franchise.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Could also say that since the Canucks dont hit enough, other teams take liberties already without fear of reprocussion. See Hansen, Sedin, Larsen, etc

i think that does happen. we also lose the refs a little when we don't solve at least some our own problems on the ice.

we also don't know how to play physically so when we do crank it up, mistakes get made and we can lose our composure.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
The sleep expert Gillis hired is actually a hypnotist. He's been convincing every player that they're Alexander Semin at the behest of the now disgruntled Gillis. Luckily I've managed to collect direct evidence of this through a series of recordings on cassette tapes. I left them outside GM Place with a note saying '4 GM', so Benning should be exposing this devious plot any day now.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The turn the other cheek mentality is from leadership. 'rather have you on the ice.'

I hate to be a dink but the mentality of this team will not begin to change until the sedins are no longer on it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ths is a non-issue and this type of thinking is a large part of why the Canucks took such a tailspin after the 2011 season.

Crazy after all these year the lack of respect for the Sedins from a certain portion of the fanbase.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't see how being physical wins games. It's great in front of the net and it's fun to watch but bottom line is the smarter, faster, skilled teams win.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What even defines a team as being tough? Hits, PIMs?

A lot of teams now are highly skilled - look no further than who is in the top 10, and how the Cup has been won lately and by who.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Pims show you who the most undisciplined is, typically want to stay away from those players.

Reason why Chicago is usually in the bottom half of the league in hits? Well, reason is, it's hard to hit your opponent when you have the puck for the majority of the game. I would say that pretty much solves the 'trying to be tough' issue, pretty fast. :laugh:

But yet, here we are, still chasing that 2011 Bruins dream team.

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
They smoking too much heefer like Joe Hogan Edgy Brahtch.

joeeddie.jpg

They gonna live to hegret this.

b8996a_21d7d68fff094bf6863ed91b7fba0180.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad