Music: Who's post-Beatles career do you like more - John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Oh yeah. Right up there with Rita Marley. ;)

Paul did say in some documentary that Linda wrote the 'badge' (see a previous post, heh heh) of "Live and Let Die" ("What does it matter to ya" etc). Still my wild guess is that the Paul and Linda McCartney writing credits on those '70s Wings/McCartney albums are mostly a bit of a joke. (This is terrible misogyny, I know.)
There is a rumour or an hoax of Linda McCartney back up vocals on Hey Jude. One of my friend who had a great collection of Beatles bootlegs, (he might have 100 of them) told me that in London there was a telephone number, you call that number and the tape plays Linda's vocal alone when Wings plays Hey Jude, or the original recording, he wasn't sure. It's just a rumour but it tells how out of tune she can sing and it tells how far UK Beatles fans go when they don't like a singer. And if that singer does sacrilege to a Beatle song, o_O
I don't know if it's related but that's the closest I could find about that rumour.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Here is a list of good songs from Harrison : What is Life, Awaiting for you all, The Art of Dying, Give me Love, Living in a Material World, Badge (group Cream), Photograph (Ringo), It don't Come Easy (Ringo), When we were Fab, This is Love, Handle me with Care and The End of the Line. He is a good help on the song Day after Day from Badfinger with his guitar. Other songs too but to say George have two good songs and he didn't wrote it is not true.

I just don't care for George's songs, these included (okay, I kinda like Badge, even though it feels unfinished). No offense to fans.

I thought Eric Clapton actually wrote most of that, but idk.

I think so

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I like this more than his pop songs. Will check out the album.
As I said before, probably my favorite album related to the Beatles (that or the White one), and most probably top-10 ever for me (I haven't done that list yet, but I think it's a given, might even be top-5).

That being said, there's a very good chance Fantomas' Director's Cut would also be in that top-10.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
There is a rumour or an hoax of Linda McCartney back up vocals on Hey Jude. One of my friend who had a great collection of Beatles bootlegs, (he might have 100 of them) told me that in London there was a telephone number, you call that number and the tape plays Linda's vocal alone when Wings plays Hey Jude, or the original recording, he wasn't sure. It's just a rumour but it tells how out of tune she can sing and it tells how far UK Beatles fans go when they don't like a singer. And if that singer does sacrilege to a Beatle song, o_O
I don't know if it's related but that's the closest I could find about that rumour.
Don't know about that, but doesn't "Across the Universe" have a couple of "Apple scruffs", i.e. young women fans who always hung around Abbey Road and Apple's office, singing in the "Nothing's gonna change my world" chorus? Lennon was proud of the song, but wasn't very happy with the end result; can't really blame him.

However, George wrote a tribute song about them.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Don't know about that, but doesn't "Across the Universe" have a couple of "Apple scruffs", i.e. young women fans who always hung around Abbey Road and Apple's office, singing in the "Nothing's gonna change my world" chorus? Lennon was proud of the song, but wasn't very happy with the end result; can't really blame him.

However, George wrote a tribute song about them.
There were always groupies hanging outside of the studio. Lennon asked two grils to come inside to do some ohh ahh as fill in on that song. It's different version that starts with birds sounds. There is another version that is arranged by Harrison with psychedelic effects on accoustic guitar. The two different versions are more interresting than the official version on Let it Be album, the orchestration of Spector with classical chorus doesn't fit with the song.

Reactions: Mike C

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
There were always groupies hanging outside of the studio. Lennon asked two grils to come inside to do some ohh ahh as fill in on that song. It's different version that starts with birds sounds. There is another version that is arranged by Harrison with psychedelic effects on accoustic guitar. The two different versions are more interresting than the official version on Let it Be album, the orchestration of Spector with classical chorus doesn't fit with the song.
I've only heard the version that's on Past Masters: Volume Two and of course the one on Let it Be. I agree that Spector's lushy orchestration & 'angelic' choir is a bit too much. Ditto for "Long and Winding Road". I remember Lennon still defending Spector's work on it at the time. McCartney definitely was not happy.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lennon was my favourite Beatle musically. A genius imo.
Post Beatles I’d rank them
1. Harrison. None of the others came close to All Things Must Pass. And he had the Travelling Wilburys too.
2. John. Hit and miss but still had some great albums.
3. Paul. I liked the album Band on the Run a lot and some of his hits but not a lot of his albums.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Option One : The Old Days and if he say that, he land with a Guitar
Option two : I get Yoko to answer the phone
Option 3 : I tell him the truth

Ok Yoko, I think the rice is burned in the pan, again, ok peace

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I've only heard the version that's on Past Masters: Volume Two and of course the one on Let it Be. I agree that Spector's lushy orchestration & 'angelic' choir is a bit too much. Ditto for "Long and Winding Road". I remember Lennon still defending Spector's work on it at the time. McCartney definitely was not happy.
Ok I think I found the version I'm taliking about. It's hums in backward sounds. It's not quite well made but there is something there interresting they could have worked more.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
And for a reason. It sounded like it was a Paul Anka, Elgelrert Humperdiink or Perry Como songs, lol. And it was the f*** beatles who did crazy rock songs before. Orchestrations made for my granpa! There wasn't any of this sh*t on the next album Abbey Road

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Definitely agree that Wonderwall Music is one of the better post-Beatles solo albums from any of them. Like it a lot more than All Things Must Pass (which I think the bloatedness ruins on one level, and Spencer's production ruins on another).

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Definitely agree that Wonderwall Music is one of the better post-Beatles solo albums from any of them. Like it a lot more than All Things Must Pass (which I think the bloatedness ruins on one level, and Spencer's production ruins on another).
It's not post beatles, it was done in the last years of the Beatles in 68. Clapton played on it and also Peter Tork from the Monkees played banjo. Harrison wasn't affraid of experimental music, after this one he did Electonic Sound with an early synthetiser. I don't know anybody who had listened that album completely, lol. He worked a lot on Revolution #9 of Lennon on the White Album. The credits should have been Lennon-Harrison.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Orchestrations made for my granpa! There wasn't any of this sh*t on the next album Abbey Road
And the irony is that Lennon had the nerve to call the B-side of Abbey Road "music for grannies"... (My all-time favourite work by The Beatles (the medley).)

I guess one reasoning for Spector's work on Let it Be was that it tried to 'plaster' some of the poor playing. For example, the music critic and Beatles author (Revolution in the Head) Ian MacDonald referred to Lennon's bass playing on "The Long and Winding Road" as "sabotage". The best solution would've been that they had re-done some of the parts or even re-recorded the whole thing, but apparently their relationships (Paul vs the others, mainly) were so poor at that point that it was a no-go.

With all its faults, I still like Let it Be, though. :dunno:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
And the irony is that Lennon had the nerve to call the B-side of Abbey Road "music for grannies"... (My all-time favourite work by The Beatles (the medley).)

I guess one reasoning for Spector's work on Let it Be was that it tried to 'plaster' some of the poor playing. For example, the music critic and Beatles author (Revolution in the Head) Ian MacDonald referred to Lennon's bass playing on "The Long and Winding Road" as "sabotage". The best solution would've been that they had re-done some of the parts or even re-recorded the whole thing, but apparently their relationships (Paul vs the others, mainly) were so poor at that point that it was a no-go.

i never liked that song or hey jude for that matter until i saw paul perform both live. part of it was the overplay they both got on NY radio where i grew up and part of it was that it really didn't feel like a Beatles tune in either case. to me both felt like McCartney ballads with a backup band

when i saw him play them both live, i truly appreciated them for the melodic masterpieces they are

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's not post beatles, it was done in the last years of the Beatles in 68. Clapton played on it and also Peter Tork from the Monkees played banjo. Harrison wasn't affraid of experimental music, after this one he did Electonic Sound with an early synthetiser. I don't know anybody who had listened that album completely, lol. He worked a lot on Revolution #9 of Lennon on the White Album. The credits should have been Lennon-Harrison.
Ahh right, I should just say solo album, then.

Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, I think I remember from Get Back that the whole point of that record was to do it 'live' in the studio together as a band. It must have been kind of hard to get good takes , at the time, because John was a heroin addict. If only they could have recorded the whole thing on the roof... they were all 'on' that day. Also, it was taking longer than they had scheduled (Iirc, they wrote and recorded the album in 2 weeks because Ringo had an acting gig starting which set the end date in stone) and, in the end, time caught up with them. Afterwards, for Abbey Road, they went back to coming in separately/alone and doing over-dubs on everything...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad