Who's our Best prospect? (Thanksgiving re-run!)

Who's our best prospect ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Plus/minus is a fluky stat over a full season and much more fluky over a much smaller sample size. Hronek actually has 5 points with the Griffs but he also scored 3 with the Wings. Saarijärvi may have scored as many points (5) as Hronek with the Griffs but Hronek has done it in 10 games as opposed to 16.
So hes a - player in the A what makes you think that he will not be in the biggs? I like him just on the list of names given hes not in the top 3 sorry. Cholo Ras and Z are top 3 of the players listed.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
So hes a - player in the A what makes you think that he will not be in the biggs? I like him just on the list of names given hes not in the top 3 sorry. Cholo Ras and Z are top 3 of the players listed.
I never said anything about who is or isn't among the top 3 on the list, I was just saying that we shouldn't read too much into +/- stats especially over such a small sample size and I was correcting you about Hronek having scored 4 points with the Griffs at that time (he is up to 6 now after recording an assist tonight) and that when you factor in the games played that Saarijärvi isn't quite as productive as Hronek Hronek actually has 9 points in a total of 17 games (including tonight and that also includes 3 points in 6 games with the Wings) Saarijarvi has a total of 5 points also in 17 games but they have all been with the Griffs.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Still Zadina, but the gap is nowhere as large as it was before the season started. I don't consider Ras and Cholowski prospects anymore.

Since the start of the year,

-Zadina's stock has fallen. He has been underwhelming and lacked consistency. He's still young and has time to find his game, but my expectations have dropped significantly for him. He was a sure fire first line sniper in my books before the season, now there are question marks. I still think his floor is a contributing 2nd line scorer, but I will be disappointed if that's all he becomes.

-Veleno's stock has remained the same. His points per game is down a bit from last year with Drummondville, but I'm not too concerned. I still think his ceiling is a very good 2nd line center, with his floor being a good 3rd liner. Veleno's ceiling is higher than Zadina's floor. Who knows, Veleno could become our best pick from last year. Not likely, but possible.

-Berggren's stock has fallen. I will admit, I am basing this purely off of his numbers, but no goals and 3 assists in 16 games is awful. Considering Albin Eriksson got picked 11 picks later, and has 10 points in 19 games, Berggren's 3 points in 16 games is extremely underwhelming.

-McIsaac's stock has risen. He looks good, I would love for him to make Canada's world junior roster. I'm still not sure what his ceiling will be, but he has had a good start to the year.

-Hronek is the same. I think he should be playing in Detroit, but whatever.

With Ras and Cholow graduatd, I'd rank our top 5 prspects as:
1. Zadina
2. Veleno
3. Hronek
4. McIsaac
5. Berggren

On a side note, Petruzzelli has rebounded nicely this year.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zadina's stock has fallen.

No it hasn't. He's still this team's best prospect by miles. To suggest otherwise is complete insanity.

Let me guess, you criticized the Cholowski pick after his below average season at Cloud State?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hronek is up to 8 pts in 12 games in GR. He’s coming along nicely just like Cholowski is.

2020 is looking like it will have some promising defenseman. I like Barron and Drysdale from the very little I’ve seen. Couple of promising RHD.

I can see our future d core as:

Cholowski-Hronek
McIsaac-Barron/Drysdale

Could be where we put the finishing touches on this re-build if all goes well and we catch some breaks.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
No it hasn't. He's still this team's best prospect by miles. To suggest otherwise is complete insanity.
I have been called worse.

Barring injury, Cholowski could be our best defenseman for the next decade. There is a reason I bought his signed shirt.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I have been called worse.

Barring injury, Cholowski could be our best defenseman for the next decade. There is a reason I bought his signed shirt.

Two months ago this board voted Cholowski as the 4th best prospect in this organization.

Who's our 22nd best prospect?

Now, 20 games into the NHL, he's the team's far and away best prospect and is a lock to have a decade-long career as a top pairing blueliner?

The folks anointing Cholowski were probably the same people ready to give up on him after his NCAA career fizzled and are now doing the same thing to Zadina, even though he's having a fine season in Grand Rapids.

The point is, everyone just needs to calm the hell down and let these kids develop at their own pace.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Hronek is up to 8 pts in 12 games in GR. He’s coming along nicely just like Cholowski is.

2020 is looking like it will have some promising defenseman. I like Barron and Drysdale from the very little I’ve seen. Couple of promising RHD.

I can see our future d core as:

Cholowski-Hronek
McIsaac-Barron/Drysdale

Could be where we put the finishing touches on this re-build if all goes well and we catch some breaks.
Wouldn't want Cholo on Hrony on the same pairing. Hope Trouba decides to come home in a few years, he'd be a good partner for Cholo, we could have

Cholowski - Trouba
McIsaac - Hronek

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The main difference between Cholowski and Zadina in their D+1 year, is the amount of physical maturity. Zadina is much closer to his final growth point than Cholowski ever was. Cholowski's growth curve is much latter than most prospects, he is only now getting close to his end point. Yet, Cholowski still needs to develop his strength, both upper body and skating explosvieness.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The main difference between Cholowski and Zadina in their D+1 year, is the amount of physical maturity. Zadina is much closer to his final growth point than Cholowski ever was. Cholowski's growth curve is much latter than most prospects, he is only now getting close to his end point. Yet, Cholowski still needs to develop his strength, both upper body and skating explosvieness.

Weight wise, maybe.

Zadina’s not that strong for being 190-200 lbs, and he needs to improve his skating.

He’s more raw than you lead on, IMO.
Wouldn't want Cholo on Hrony on the same pairing. Hope Trouba decides to come home in a few years, he'd be a good partner for Cholo, we could have

Cholowski - Trouba
McIsaac - Hronek

Never been scared to have 2 great puck movers together. Once Hronek catches up they should complement each other very well.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Weight wise, maybe.

Zadina’s not that strong for being 190-200 lbs, and he needs to improve his skating.

Raw and under developed are two different things. Both greatly need to get stronger. The question we will find out in a couple of years is how much stronger and better can Zadina become. Cholowski has shown he is willing to put in the time and effort.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Never been scared to have 2 great puck movers together. Once Hronek catches up they should complement each other very well.
Not really scared, just feel like there are diminishing returns on having them together, would rather have 1 good OFD on the ice for 45-50 minutes of the game rather than have 2 on the ice together for 20-25. Also just don't think either will be a #1, which is partly why I want Trouba.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
half kidding but Big Bert didnt put up big numbers till he was a bit older.

my thinking is rasmussen is comparably skilled, bigger, faster.
i think he has a high ceiling.

...or until Big Bert had Brendan Morrison and Markus Naslund dishing to him. If Ras gets linemates like that, your projection seems pretty legit.

To answer the thread topic, my choice is Zadina. If he turns out the way the scouts projected, he easily leaves no doubt about the topic.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I went with Hronek, though mostly just because I enjoy his game the most. I think Zadina has the highest ceiling on this list, but Cholowski will end up being the most valuable player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Weight wise, maybe.

We new this before draft about Zadina , but still draft him , because his potentials are higher than for example Tkachuk.
Both Hronek and Cholo progressing very well . In about 4-5 years we might have :
Cholowski- McIsaac
Hronek-DD
not bad at all

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Cholowski and Rasmussen are not prospects anymore...

1. Jared McIsaac
2. Joe Veleno
3. Filip Zadina
4. Filip Hronek
5. Evgeny Svechnikov

In that order

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad