Who's our 13th best prospect?

Who's our 13th best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay, I'm a little bit creative now. Saarijärvi, Hicketts and Larsson were almost equal on last rounds and now Hicketts and Larsson were almost equal. This is just splitting hairs. I take them all out from voting, to get faster forward.

Adds are Pearson and Turgeon.

1. RW - Filip Zadina, 93.2%
2. C/LW - Michael Rasmussen, 63.0%
3. RD - Filip Hronek, 64.9%
4. LD - Dennis Cholowski, 60.0%
5. C - Joe Veleno, 47.7%
6. W - Jonatan Berggren, 60%
7. W - Evgeny Svechnikov, 76.4%
8. LD - Jared McIsaac, 40.2%
9. RD - Gustav Lindström, 43.9%
10.-11. RD - Vili Saarijärvi / LD Joe Hicketts 25.3%
12. G - Filip Larsson 23%

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There's a severe drop off after #7 and I would argue if reordered while the drop off would be more gradual, the pool isn't very good.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
There's a severe drop off after #7 and I would argue if reordered while the drop off would be more gradual, the pool isn't very good.
I think the drop-off starts around 10. Probably going to get roasted here, but I think both McIsaac and Lindstrom have top-pair potential. I personally think these kids get labeled as having top-four or top-six upside before we really know much of anything about them. Speaking literally, there are 62 top-pairing defenseman in the league and I'd guess only about half of those guys were pegged as having top-pair potential before establishing themselves in the NHL. Now I think it is much more likely these two dudes develop in to middle or bottom-pairing defenseman.. I guess I just choose to be optimistic about their development.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
How far are you going to go on this Henkka ?

13th best prospect seems a little too stretched out if you ask me.

One month later "who is our 26th best prospect ?"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kotkansalo is a decent under the radar prospect.

He was the only regular on Finland’s blue line at the WJC that wasn’t a first rounder, and he also was a regular on a stacked BU team as a freshman. I think there is more to him and his game than we have seen thus far.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Regula is going to be a stud..hopefully he’s back in London for Flint’s opening night

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the drop-off starts around 10. Probably going to get roasted here, but I think both McIsaac and Lindstrom have top-pair potential. I personally think these kids get labeled as having top-four or top-six upside before we really know much of anything about them. Speaking literally, there are 62 top-pairing defenseman in the league and I'd guess only about half of those guys were pegged as having top-pair potential before establishing themselves in the NHL. Now I think it is much more likely these two dudes develop in to middle or bottom-pairing defenseman.. I guess I just choose to be optimistic about their development.
Even the Wings top d prospects aren’t likely to be top pairing. McIssac looks like a bottom pairing guy, and Lindstrom is more likely to never stay in the league than to be top pairing.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Even the Wings top d prospects aren’t likely to be top pairing. McIssac looks like a bottom pairing guy, and Lindstrom is more likely to never stay in the league than to be top pairing.
You may be right - you probably are actually. My point is that guys like Josi, Letang, Pesce, Slavin, Parayko, Klingberg, Barrie, Gostisbehere did not project to be top-pair guys shortly after their drafts and probably were not amongst their team's top tier of prospects at that point either, but they developed in to elite defenseman.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You may be right - you probably are actually. My point is that guys like Josi, Letang, Pesce, Slavin, Parayko, Klingberg, Barrie, Gostisbehere did not project to be top-pair guys shortly after their drafts and probably were not amongst their team's top tier of prospects at that point either, but they developed in to elite defenseman.

That’s not true, people saw their ceiling but thought they were long shots to hit them. When scouts talk about cholo’s ceiling none talk about even first pairing. And it goes downhill from there. Gostisbehere was compared to Coffey in his draft profile. Josi and Letang were both highly regarded but thought to be project players. I could go on but they weren’t massive surprises when it came to what their ceiling was, but that they did. None of the Wings defense prospects are in the same boat.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That’s not true, people saw their ceiling but thought they were long shots to hit them. When scouts talk about cholo’s ceiling none talk about even first pairing. And it goes downhill from there. Gostisbehere was compared to Coffey in his draft profile. Josi and Letang were both highly regarded but thought to be project players. I could go on but they weren’t massive surprises when it came to what their ceiling was, but that they did. None of the Wings defense prospects are in the same boat.

Quotes from his coach:

"But I didn't realize how good he was. He's a better player than I even though the was. He's very good defensively and I compare him to (Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman) Seth Jones, who we had several years ago. Seth never ran over you physically, but he was strong, he used his body well, he had a good stick defensively, and then when he got the puck his transition pass or skating was really good and I think Dennis is a lot like that. He's a better defensive player than I thought."

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just wondering why Hicketts is listed as tied with Saarijarvi when they each won in separate rounds? Also where was the 12th round decided, I don't see a thread for it?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's rare for top-pairing potential to be outright mentioned, even for d-men drafted in the top 10.

Still,

Breaking down Red Wings’ 2016 NHL draft class
Hakan Andersson, the team’s director of European scouting, brought up an interview he’d read with Edmonton general manager Peter Charelli where he’d said there are “only 10-15 elite defensemen in the league, and there are 30 teams, so they are hard to come by,” Andersson said. “That was our objective, trying to draft a guy that we hope can be one of those guys.”

Reactions: A Few Good Males

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI

So who's to say the Wings' scouts don't see a higher ceiling in our guys than other scouts do?

The Gostisbehere / Coffey parallel is a stylistic comparison, which are tossed around all the time. But if you are taking those literally, this link here could give you some optimism regarding McIsaac (Jared McIsaac Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #21 - Last Word on Hockey), where he is compared to Doughty.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's rare for top-pairing potential to be outright mentioned, even for d-men drafted in the top 10.

Still,

Detroit's scouts lack of drafting an impact defenseman since 2000 makes me take their assessments with a ton of salt.

So who's to say the Wings' scouts don't see a higher ceiling in our guys than other scouts do?

The Gostisbehere / Coffey parallel is a stylistic comparison, which are tossed around all the time. But if you are taking those literally, this link here could give you some optimism regarding McIsaac (Jared McIsaac Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #21 - Last Word on Hockey), where he is compared to Doughty.

Every other report I have seen on McIssac has said he is a bottom pairing guy. And given some of the off the wall things I have seen from LWH, especially in reference to draft picks and prospects, I tend to put them near the bottom of reliable sources.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Quotes from his coach:

"But I didn't realize how good he was. He's a better player than I even though the was. He's very good defensively and I compare him to (Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman) Seth Jones, who we had several years ago. Seth never ran over you physically, but he was strong, he used his body well, he had a good stick defensively, and then when he got the puck his transition pass or skating was really good and I think Dennis is a lot like that. He's a better defensive player than I thought."

I mean its great his coach is pumping his tires, but that's his coach. Even when Blash and AA were privately seemingly at odds with each other Blash still had good things to say about him to the media.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit's scouts lack of drafting an impact defenseman since 2000 makes me take their assessments with a ton of salt.

Every other report I have seen on McIssac has said he is a bottom pairing guy. And given some of the off the wall things I have seen from LWH, especially in reference to draft picks and prospects, I tend to put them near the bottom of reliable sources.

I mean its great his coach is pumping his tires, but that's his coach. Even when Blash and AA were privately seemingly at odds with each other Blash still had good things to say about him to the media.
Not sure what you’re looking for. Most scouting reports don’t throw out ”top-pair potential” very often, it’s just not smart unless it’s a very high ranked D. If he was projected as top-pairing he would have been drafted top 5. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have that potential. Most of his ”issues” were based on being weak physically. In terms of his ability there’s not really anything that stands out as being a limiting factor.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why would a projected bottom pairing defenseman be as highly ranked as he was? Especially early in the year when he was in the top 10, but even at his worst he was considered a possible rate first round pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah yeah, all the reports say that he is a bottom pairing guy.

Jared McIsaac Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #21 - Last Word on Hockey

Projection and Comparison

McIsaac has all the upside and skills necessary to be a top-four defenceman at the NHL level. While he is not NHL ready yet, another year or two in junior, rounding out his game will serve him well. He should continue to play big minutes, and in all situations. This is something that will serve him well in his development. McIsaac’s game is reminiscent of Drew Doughty, however this is a style comparison only and not reflective of potential or ability.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A Few Good Males

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Ignore Shaman - almost every single post in every thread is negative, whether about players, staff, prospects, the future etc. Almost every comment citing sources relies upon whichever source has the most negative stance.

For the record I think LWH is pretty unreliable, but I've seen plenty of positive comments about a number of our defensive prospects from a variety of better sources. Sure none are projected to be franchise D, but even if you focus on the rankings which have a whole load at middle pairing potential, we only need one to exceed that expectation to make D by committee a possibility.

Obviously in realistic terms, this prospect pool doesn't represent the entirety of the d core of a competitive team. But one has to assume the likelihood of that being a focus of future drafts - unless of course more potential franchise forwards fall into our lap

My choice this time would be Pope simply because he has proven more at a higher level and has shown year on year improvements

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad