Whos in the most trouble when Seattle expansion happens?

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Assuming same rules again...

Toronto, Winnipeg and Tampa are going to have a bad time

bad time.jpg

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So whens Seattle to join the league in 2019-20 or 20-21?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
If Seattle is coming in 2021, Capitals can be in the same situation where Pens was last summer if Samsonov makes the real breakthrough to the NHL level.

Fleury = Holtby
Murray = Samsonov

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
If Seattle is coming in 2021, Capitals can be in the same situation where Pens was last summer if Samsonov makes the real breakthrough to the NHL level.

Fleury = Holtby
Murray = Samsonov

Problem of Pens situation wasn't having two starting goaltenders, one young, one old.

The problem of the Pens situation was that the old one had a full NMC, meaning he had to be protected if they couldn't convince him to waive.

Holtby doesn't have a NMC.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Depends when it is really.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri

I don't know the rules with the NMC which Marleau has if he has to be protected. If so I would seek to trade him but I think that's the plan anyways.

We'll probably lose one of Kapanen, Hyman, Brown or Johnsson, gotta protect the bolded names, accounts for no signings or trades. If the Leafs can get Tavares I'm going to assume one of Kadri or Nylander is out for a Dman.

Rielly
Dermott

Jake is a UFA, if next year Liljegren will still be exempt. I would love to add a D who is better than Zaitsev to protect, although if he doesn't turn it around I highly doubt Seattle wants a 4.5 a year 4/5 D.

Andersen

Expose whichever goalie isn't Andersen.

The Leafs will lose someone good, probably a middle six forward but no one irreplaceable. With four forwards, two D and a goalie of significantly more value than the rest of their teammates, who to protect is obvious.

Again if the draft is 2019, which I think it will be.

Last edited:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Hard to know the specific ins and outs of different teams a couple years from now.

But if the rules are the same as last time, the Jets will for sure be going 7-3-1.

Scheifele
Laine
Wheeler (if we do extend him)
Ehlers
Connor
Lowry
Roslovic

Leaves exposed:
Perreault (if not already traded by then)
Stastny (if we are able to sign him)
Armia (might be traded before then too)
Copp (ditto)

Vesalainen would be exempt I'm assuming.

Morrissey
Trouba
Niku

Leaves exposed:

Myers (will be gone by then one way or another)
Big Buff will be making 7.5M going into year 4 of 5 in his full on mid thirties. If there is any kind of drop off in his play I'd anticipate him being exposed. I expect Niku will be a young top 4 PMD and the Jets wont risk losing him. Some projection involved here obviously.
Don’t think we would need to protect Niku

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When the league expands to Seattle, which team is going to get screwed the most?

For example, the Vegas expansion put the Anaheim ducks in a difficult position where they had to trade vatanen.

On the other hand, a team like the leafs had it very easy as they didnt have that many good pieces to protect

Thinking about expansion to Seattle in the next year or 2 and using the same expansion rules, which teams will be in the most difficult positions in deciding protection and making trades etc etc.
Depends on the year. For some teams there’s a huge difference between it being in 2020 vs 2021.

You mentioned Anaheim in the Vegas one.

Perry and getzlaf have their nmc expire in 2021, so better for Anaheim if it is in 2021. They are still screwed on D regardless with lindholm, Fowler, Manson, montour, Larson, Pettersson, etc who are al eligible in 2020.

It also makes whether teams opt to burn a year on ncaa signings. If Dante fabbro signs in March 2019 and burns a year he is eligible for a 2021 ED. If he only signs a try out for their ahl team he is exempt for 2021.

So, lots of considerations for teams in the coming year plus. A lot will depend on whether either side opts out of the cba by September 2019. That puts the 20-21 season in jeapordy of a work stoppage.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oilers have too many NTC to crappy oldr players.

Theyll lose Yamamoto or Pulujaarvi or Nurse.
Basically only lucics ,sekeras should be done by then.

Oilers should be able to protect everyone important , trade or buyout Russel if they have to

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
So whens Seattle to join the league in 2019-20 or 20-21?

Well, according to what I can see the arena is on track to begin renovations in the fall of 2018, with the intent of being ready for a potential 2020-21 season debut. Based on what I've read, the arena itself will not be ready for a 2019-20 season.

The vote to award a franchise to Seattle by the board of governors is at the earliest this fall. So, should they award a franchise this fall, the expansion draft could be in June of 2019 - but I can't see the team being awarded if they don't have a home arena to play in 2019-20.

KeyArena Renovation Remains on Schedule - Arena Digest

Based on that alone, I can't see the expansion draft being before June 2020.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawks will be fine
7-3-1

Toews
Kane
Saad
Debrincat
Schmaltz
Sikura
Anisimov (if not traded)

Keith
Seabrook (could ask him to waive NMC)
Murphy

Crawford

Leaves exposed
Hayden
Hinostroza (move him to keepers if Anisimov is traded)
Edjsell
Kampf

Rutta (if still there)
Gustafsson
Oesterle
Back up goalie

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo Oilers will be screwed. For instance our defense lacks top end talent but is deep otherwise, and we have NMCs on the team that I'm not sure how we'll deal with.

I think the Oilers will be like Anaheim or Minnesota. We're going to have to give up a good player in a side deal to make sure the rest of our team is safe.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Hard to know the specific ins and outs of different teams a couple years from now.

But if the rules are the same as last time, the Jets will for sure be going 7-3-1.

Scheifele
Laine
Wheeler (if we do extend him)
Ehlers
Connor
Lowry
Roslovic

Leaves exposed:
Perreault (if not already traded by then)
Stastny (if we are able to sign him)
Armia (might be traded before then too)
Copp (ditto)

Vesalainen would be exempt I'm assuming.

Morrissey
Trouba
Niku

Leaves exposed:

Myers (will be gone by then one way or another)
Big Buff will be making 7.5M going into year 4 of 5 in his full on mid thirties. If there is any kind of drop off in his play I'd anticipate him being exposed. I expect Niku will be a young top 4 PMD and the Jets wont risk losing him. Some projection involved here obviously.
Honestly, this isn't nearly as bad as I was fearing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad