Whos in the most trouble when Seattle expansion happens?

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
When the league expands to Seattle, which team is going to get screwed the most?

For example, the Vegas expansion put the Anaheim ducks in a difficult position where they had to trade vatanen.

On the other hand, a team like the leafs had it very easy as they didnt have that many good pieces to protect

Thinking about expansion to Seattle in the next year or 2 and using the same expansion rules, which teams will be in the most difficult positions in deciding protection and making trades etc etc.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Not only Anaheim got screwed. Remember Nashville had to expose James Neal.
As for who's in the most trouble when Seattle enters the league, probably Tampa Bay, but Winnipeg also could be heavily affected.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Do we know of the expansion draft rules? Or would they probably the same as last time

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If it's the same rules the Flyers will end up losing a good young defenseman. If they can only keep 3 defenseman I would think it would be Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim. That would leave Myers and Morin unprotected.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For the Islanders at least we won't have to protect Ladd and Boychuk this time around. lol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When the league expands to Seattle, which team is going to get screwed the most?

For example, the Vegas expansion put the Anaheim ducks in a difficult position where they had to trade vatanen.

On the other hand, a team like the leafs had it very easy as they didnt have that many good pieces to protect

Thinking about expansion to Seattle in the next year or 2 and using the same expansion rules, which teams will be in the most difficult positions in deciding protection and making trades etc etc.

Do you have the date of expansion? If so please share.

we maybe between 2 to 4 years for the expansion to be announced.

Some believe it will be tied to the next CBA and the team wont start till the new cba kicks in

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hard to know the specific ins and outs of different teams a couple years from now.

But if the rules are the same as last time, the Jets will for sure be going 7-3-1.

Scheifele
Laine
Wheeler (if we do extend him)
Ehlers
Connor
Lowry
Roslovic

Leaves exposed:
Perreault (if not already traded by then)
Stastny (if we are able to sign him)
Armia (might be traded before then too)
Copp (ditto)

Vesalainen would be exempt I'm assuming.

Morrissey
Trouba
Niku

Leaves exposed:

Myers (will be gone by then one way or another)
Big Buff will be making 7.5M going into year 4 of 5 in his full on mid thirties. If there is any kind of drop off in his play I'd anticipate him being exposed. I expect Niku will be a young top 4 PMD and the Jets wont risk losing him. Some projection involved here obviously.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Would Ilya Samsonov be eligible to be taken? He just signed a contract in April.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

Vatanen was traded like six months or so after the expansion draft took place. By the time it happened it had nothing at all to do with Vegas. We traded Theodore so they would keep their hands off Manson/Vatanen.

And to answer your new question, Anaheim will likely lose another great young defenseman to Seattle when the time comes.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Do you have the date of expansion? If so please share.

we maybe between 2 to 4 years for the expansion to be announced.

Some believe it will be tied to the next CBA and the team wont start till the new cba kicks in

Sorry I dont have a date. I'm just thinking there will be expansion soon with all the talk weve been hearing.

Vatanen was traded like six months or so after the expansion draft took place. By the time it happened it had nothing at all to do with Vegas. We traded Theodore so they would keep their hands off Manson/Vatanen.

And to answer your new question, Anaheim will likely lose another great young defenseman to Seattle when the time comes.

Oops my bad. I remeber something going on with theodore but I wasnt actually paying attention during expansion so thanks for the correction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad