Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stamkos was way more of a quiet first overall than Tavares. Tavares' season at 17 blew Stamkos' draft year out of the water, and Patrick Kane's year in the OHL was also statistically way more amazing than what Stamkos managed in 2008. Steven Stamkos' rapid development in his sophomore year and the Rocket Richard years he's had are what was expected of John Tavares when he was scoring 72 goals before his draft year. I don't recall Stamkos being billed as quite the sniper he turned into, he was supposed to be more of an all round offensive threat who could play defense too.

I think Hall was also hyped a little more than Stamkos too.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If Tavares was in the 08 draft, Stamkos would have went 2nd overall. Kind of like the Seguin Vs Hall situation. Tavares's potential and hype would be too hard to pass up on.

KesGold17

Dec 23, 2011
Vancouver
Tavares was hyped for years before his draft. You'd constantly hear about the "Tavares watch" and what team was in last place would get him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Bold.

Stamkos 2 time Rocket Richard winner, a 60 goal season and the league leading goal scorer by a mile over the past 3 seasons.

Tavares, exceptional junior player, ridiculous potential, PPG season, still improving

And RNH is going to end up the best?

As to hype Tavares AINEC

excellent points.

RNH is .2 above their rookie ppg, but he did drop off a bit at the end of the season...and didnt play a full season.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Curious, during their days in minor hockey and their OHL career who was the more hyped? A year before their draft years.

Taveras was hyped 5, 6 years before being drafted. And he lived up to it, one of the greatest OHL careers ever. Broke OHL goals mark despite having a few more seasons of eligibility left.

there was always nagging questions about his high end NHL potential, and he was not as hyped for the NHL as Crosby for example, but everyone knew he would likely be the best player out of his draft.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
excellent points.

RNH is .2 above their rookie ppg, but he did drop off a bit at the end of the season...and didnt play a full season.

Difference being Stamkos had an awful rookie year with problems top to bottom in the organisation, Melrose etc

RNH could well become better, but that would put him on a Crosby/Malkin level, not impossible but highly unlikely.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Difference being Stamkos had an awful rookie year with problems top to bottom in the organisation, Melrose etc

RNH could well become better, but that would put him on a Crosby/Malkin level, not impossible but highly unlikely.

Awful? He was 23-23-46! I don't know how people can expect rookies to bury 50 coming into the league anymore, this is ridiculous.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
If Tavares was in the 08 draft, Stamkos would have went 2nd overall. Kind of like the Seguin Vs Hall situation. Tavares's potential and hype would be too hard to pass up on.

Definitely would have been interesting. At the same time when Bob McKenzie did his "poll 10 scouts" for his annual final draft rankings he also asked the question of if eligible, would you take Stamkos or Tavares? 7 of 10 said Stamkos would have been their selection, which at the time, floored me. Tavares certainly had more hype prior to his draft year.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Awful? He was 23-23-46! I don't know how people can expect rookies to bury 50 coming into the league anymore, this is ridiculous.

Exaggeration, more awful compared to what he is now.

He came into an awful situation, which once that calmed down and he got used to the league he hit his rookie standard.

You have to agree 1st half vs 2nd half Stamkos weren't comparable.

Edit: First 40 games, 15 points.

Second half 39 games, 31 points. Which is 65 point pace, better than I was expecting. Rookie season I was hoping for 20-35-55

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Bold.

Stamkos 2 time Rocket Richard winner, a 60 goal season and the league leading goal scorer by a mile over the past 3 seasons.

Tavares, exceptional junior player, ridiculous potential, PPG season, still improving

And RNH is going to end up the best?

As to hype Tavares AINEC

He said MIGHT end up the best player, not a guarantee.

RNH outscored Stamkos by 6 points in 19 less games during their rookie years, and Tavares only beat him by 2 in 20 more games. Nugent-Hopkins could pass them both by the end of next year for all we know (unlikely but possible).

startainfection*

since the lock out

crosby > tavares >>>>> Mackinnon = Yakupov = Stamkos > RNH > Kane > Hall > Johnsson
there was a serious push to allow tavares to get drafted a year early because eof how amazing he was in juniors and the fact that he started juniors at 15 instead of 16 because, and after breaking gretzky's ohl record he was worthy of that hype

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Tavares wins hype competition.

Better player?

Strictly comparing numbers: Stamkos... Although one could easily argue that he has a much better supporting cast in Tampa (MSL) than Tavares in Long Island.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
tavares ainec.

his agents tried to get him declared eligible for the 2008 draft...and when that didn't work he tried to go to the ahl. also you would hear about him a lot more in the main stream media than stamkos.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
I think it is Tavares>Stamkos=Hall=Yakupov>Nuge

Stammer was Stammer, Hall was the Memorial Cup beast, and Yak was shown as to have been better than Stammer in Sarnia.

Tavares was hyped b/c he was beast as an underager and broke Gretzky's records.

Nuge last because although they said he had vision, everyone questioned his physical abilities.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Tavares, but after Stamkos was drafted by Tampa Bay he was being advertised like crazy. Anyone remember this?

seenstamkos.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He said MIGHT end up the best player, not a guarantee.

RNH outscored Stamkos by 6 points in 19 less games during their rookie years, and Tavares only beat him by 2 in 20 more games. Nugent-Hopkins could pass them both by the end of next year for all we know (unlikely but possible).

Thing is you can't extrapolate anything from Stamkos' rookie year as a comparable to other rookies because he took five, six, seven steps forward in development in his sophomore year that simply doesn't happen that often. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if it took RHN or Tavares their entire careers to just get to where Stamkos already is, which is a steady 90 point player up to this point.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Tavares was more hyped in the media and among the fans, but the scouts told a different story when they were asked their opinion before the 2008 draft.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Thing is you can't extrapolate anything from Stamkos' rookie year as a comparable to other rookies because he took five, six, seven steps forward in development in his sophomore year that simply doesn't happen that often. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if it took RHN or Tavares their entire careers to just get to where Stamkos already is, which is a steady 90 point player up to this point.

if those same steps are taken by Eberle and Hall (also in Biosteel....apparently), then all is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00