who would you want to manage the leafs next year

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
nope. not one peep
again - also like to point out - Mr. Burke was all "teams are built through drafting." now in Calgary. Seriously, I wanted to hulk-smash him so badly.

hearing Poulin speak right now - will not shed tears if/when the management corps gets turfed.

Too bad Leaf fans had to have Burke learn that lesson the hard way and unfortunately we'll be paying the price for his failed accelerated rebuild for years to come .

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
The real rebuild just began with Bernier/Rielly, as far as I'm concerned.

That's part of the core I'd like to build around. It's also the idea that you build from the net out. I'd consider moving Kessel for Shea Webber or Ekblad as well. That's a rock solid foundation to build upon. For Ekblad I'd be a little worried, but I think he can be at least a Bouwmeester type.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That wouldn't signal a rebuild, nor is one needed.

considering we're capped out with a core that can't even get us into the playoffs in a 82 game sked maybe you should enlighten us with what is needed

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
We are too impatient as a franchise to do a proper rebuild, and we build through free agency and guys on the trade block. Our past management has put us in a hole trading away key future pieces like Steen/Rask as well as trading away high picks (Toskala, Biggs, Bollad etc) and signing albatross of free agency contracts (McCabe, Blake, Tucker, Komisarek, Grabovski, Clarkson). In regards to free agency it feels like we get over the hump with one bad contract and we sign another guy to ridiculous money. Leaf Management the big picture is you over-value players in free agency that are fringe. Instead of being a dumb broad who goes back to a boyfriend who cheats on her all the time STAY AWAY FROM FRINGE PLAYERS IN FREE AGENCY. We have a good core of players: JVR, Kessel, Bozak, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier. I'm not convinced the rest fit into the picture and yes I mean Phaneuf, Kadri, Lupul. We need a complete overhaul of dead-weight and need to bring in more balanced players. Our team is the land of misfit players with no identity or culture. We want to be a gritty team hard-hitting team like St. Louis/Boston? Our forward group is softer than a box of kittens and our defenseman (minus Rielly/Gardiner) are as fast as a prime-time Jason Allison

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That wouldn't signal a rebuild, nor is one needed.

If we fired the GM, then yes, it would do a pretty good job indicating that we're about to rebuild again.

You can't reasonably expect to hire a GM with the mission to continue on doing exactly what Nonis was doing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we fired the GM, then yes, it would do a pretty good job indicating that we're about to rebuild again.

You can't reasonably expect to hire a GM with the mission to continue on doing exactly what Nonis was doing.

If Nonis remains I don't expect him to keep the status quo.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His team is still here. He doesn't seem to be asking for any credit for it this year.

Too funny and true....

We need to purge our self of many of Burke moves that brought in players who were tested and found wanting on other teams....we are the team that collects these flawed players and pay them like they are gold when in fact they are copper. We have them wearing letters on their jerseys when their former team found them flawed!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If Nonis remains I don't expect him to keep the status quo.

Of course not, he's going to continue to evolve the group he already has.

However, if you bring in another GM, he's going to have a different tact, and want to rebuild the team with his philosophy.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Of course not, he's going to continue to evolve the group he already has.

However, if you bring in another GM, he's going to have a different tact, and want to rebuild the team with his philosophy.

tweak the Team, not rebuild.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, that's what Nonis is going to do.

Any other GM we bring in is likely going to have a different vision as to how this team needs to be built, and needs to be be given the freedom to execute on that.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

We need 2 top 4 defencemen, a serious upgrade or two down the middle one of which would be in the top six. Then we need some some extra forwards who can actually play some defence.

That's basically, everything... except Kessel, JVR and Kadri OR Bozak.

Rielly is really the only source of improvement we can expect to get internally that would be significant.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We need 2 top 4 defencemen, a serious upgrade or two down the middle one of which would be in the top six. Then we need some some extra forwards who can actually play some defence.

Rielly is really the only source of improvement we can expect to get internally that would be significant.

Yep, pretty much.

Going to be a pretty interesting summer.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Well said , unfortunatley this pretty much means we're back to square one .

MugenSilverSiR

Jun 30, 2008
Give it to Don Cherry. :laugh:

Give me a 1 year contract and then resign him after his glorious house cleaning.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We are too impatient as a franchise to do a proper rebuild, and we build through free agency and guys on the trade block. Our past management has put us in a hole trading away key future pieces like Steen/Rask as well as trading away high picks (Toskala, Biggs, Bollad etc) and signing albatross of free agency contracts (McCabe, Blake, Tucker, Komisarek, Grabovski, Clarkson). In regards to free agency it feels like we get over the hump with one bad contract and we sign another guy to ridiculous money. Leaf Management the big picture is you over-value players in free agency that are fringe. Instead of being a dumb broad who goes back to a boyfriend who cheats on her all the time STAY AWAY FROM FRINGE PLAYERS IN FREE AGENCY. We have a good core of players: JVR, Kessel, Bozak, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier. I'm not convinced the rest fit into the picture and yes I mean Phaneuf, Kadri, Lupul. We need a complete overhaul of dead-weight and need to bring in more balanced players. Our team is the land of misfit players with no identity or culture. We want to be a gritty team hard-hitting team like St. Louis/Boston? Our forward group is softer than a box of kittens and our defenseman (minus Rielly/Gardiner) are as fast as a prime-time Jason Allison

Once again, 5 years ago, the city was ready for it and Burke comes in and went "oh no, draft schaft, gd lottery, we're just going to do an accelerated retool on the fly."

then went that pooped out. "oh we weren't as good as I thought."
etc etc etc etc. and now here we are. he might as well have rebuilt through the draft. seriously, I am going to say this over and over again, to people who want Burke back here. He screwed over this team at a point that had he stopped and taken the time to see what we had, that we needed time to rebuild through the draft. but he didn't, he played with the fact that at the time we had missed the playoffs for 4 years, and that we were desperate to see good hockey, and most people ate that up with a spoon.

then he gets fired and goes to Calgary and the first few words that comes out of his mouth is "Well, the best way to fix this team is through the draft, that's how it works, we're not sacrificing the future."

the [bad word bad word]? Seriously - that's why - and maybe a part is tongue in cheek, but I would pay good money for Nonis to to try to ship pieces for Monahan or their first, just to see what he'd say.

At any rate I honestly think if there was a real effort to actually rebuild the city would be patient because at the end of the day we simply want to win. and that's why i give Nonis credit for coming out and saying under his watch he's not trading his young chips for 35 year old men - why? because Quinn did it. JFJ did it. Fletcher might as well have done it.

people will still kevetch about it, and honestly until this total toilet plummet I was like you know - let's just ride it out and see what we've got - but there is some luggage on this train I think we need to toss out and use the rest to somewhat insulate the rookies that do end up coming up. but it's not just the Leafs.

the Marlies need to continue get better in terms of prospects - someone who can come up from the Marlies and play 2nd line impactful minutes, or third line quality minutes. I think if New GM comes out and flat out says, "y'all were hosed, i'm going to do my best to fix it, it WILL take time, and it will take patience, and i understand the screaming that will happen on the radio, but it will be worth it" I think a good chunk of people would swallow that. I would.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Once again, 5 years ago, the city was ready for it and Burke comes in and went "oh no, draft schaft, gd lottery, we're just going to do an accelerated retool on the fly."

etc etc etc etc. and now here we are. he might as well have rebuilt through the draft. seriously, I am going to say this over and over again, to people who want Burke back here. He screwed over this team at a point that had he stopped and taken the time to see what we had, that we needed time to rebuild through the draft. but he didn't, he played with the fact that at the time we had missed the playoffs for 4 years, and that we were desperate to see good hockey, and most people ate that up with a spoon.

then he gets fired and goes to Calgary and the first few words that comes out of his mouth is "Well, the best way to fix this team is through the draft, that's how it works, we're not sacrificing the future."

the [bad word bad word]? Seriously - that's why - and maybe a part is tongue in cheek, but I would pay good money for Nonis to to try to ship pieces for Monahan or their first, just to see what he'd say.

At any rate I honestly think if there was a real effort to actually rebuild the city would be patient because at the end of the day we simply want to win. and that's why i give Nonis credit for coming out and saying under his watch he's not trading his young chips for 35 year old men - why? because Quinn did it. JFJ did it. Fletcher might as well have done it.

people will still kevetch about it, and honestly until this total toilet plummet I was like you know - let's just ride it out and see what we've got - but there is some luggage on this train I think we need to toss out and use the rest to somewhat insulate the rookies that do end up coming up. but it's not just the Leafs.

the Marlies need to continue get better in terms of prospects - someone who can come up from the Marlies and play 2nd line impactful minutes, or third line quality minutes. I think if New GM comes out and flat out says, "y'all were hosed, i'm going to do my best to fix it, it WILL take time, and it will take patience, and i understand the screaming that will happen on the radio, but it will be worth it" I think a good chunk of people would swallow that. I would.

Based on what?

MugenSilverSiR

Jun 30, 2008

The blueprint is not the same for all Cities. Each situation is different. I agree that your farm system needs to be strong in order to provide the mother club with an endless bounty of talent similar to how the Wings have done it. The Wings are a few years to be going back to the big dance and believe it or not these past few years have been their rebuild.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
The guy in charge now took over a mess of a team that had finished 2nd-9th-5th last in the NHL the previous 3 seasons before he assumed control . He made a few changes and led them to there first playoff series in a decade , albeit in a strike shortened season .

Also i wasn't asking you to build a fantasy team , i was just asking what you would have done with the core that Burke assembled who's contract were coming up for renewal . The reason i asked is , you seem to be very critical of Nonis so i just wanted to know what it is that you think he should have done differently with the core that has led us to our 3rd straight collapse .

First, what did Nonis really do in the 40 games leading into the 2013 Playoffs? Please don't provide the "sent Komi to the minors" answer; my 9-year-old nephew would have done that.

Second, I still don't understand why you're asking what I'd do with the contracts of the core players. Unless you think (much like your idea that I'm defending Burke) that I'm content with this core. Both incorrect.

I will remind you of what I did say: as unstable as the core players are, this is far from their problem. Shea Weber replacing Dion Phaneuf wouldn't force all 12 forwards to back-check. It's about depth, defensive talent and coaching systems.

Nonis has failed at addressing a lot of those needs. I give him full credit for Bernier - his only redeemer. Everything else has been a disaster and a giant mismanagement of cap space, buyouts, re-signings, and trading chips. We saw too much of that with Burke. I expected a renewed vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad