Who would you want as GM?

Who would you want as Sabres GM if you were the owner?

• Chris Drury

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Danny Briere

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Mike Grier

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Kevyn Adams

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Steve Yzerman

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I think KA has done a good job so far. Not every move has been top notch, but he's done something past GM's haven't, he's show patience with the young players and so far it's paying dividends. Grier and Briere haven't done much as of yet, Drury has the benefit of being the GM for one of the most desirable markets in the league, and Yzerman has made a lot of moves and signings I'm not too fond of.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Three guys who haven't done squat as a GM?

Yzerman has a good track record despite the floundering in Detroit for now, but KA has a connection and understanding for what's right in Buffalo. Most importantly, he's bringing the organization in a little tighter after a semi-toxic environment, and simply getting out of the way of his scouting dept to allow them to cash in on the draft chips they collected over the years.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Whichever one will address goalie and top 4 defense in a timely manner. Thus eliminating one name for sure. Give a GM who will do something our set-up and they can build a winner instead of talking about a future that never arrives.

Reactions: Bendium

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yzerman would be my choice just based on Tampa and the job he did there. But I don’t think any GM has really done anything to make themselves an obvious “other” choice with their current teams. With that said, Adams hasn’t done anything extraordinary that would make him anything special. His best move was getting the return he did for Ristolainen.

I think KA has done a good job so far. Not every move has been top notch, but he's done something past GM's haven't, he's show patience with the young players and so far it's paying dividends. Grier and Briere haven't done much as of yet, Drury has the benefit of being the GM for one of the most desirable markets in the league, and Yzerman has made a lot of moves and signings I'm not too fond of.

No, ownership has finally decided to become patient.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Whichever one will address goalie and top 4 defense in a timely manner. Thus eliminating one name for sure. Give a GM who will do something our set-up and they can build a winner instead of talking about a future that never arrives.

While you’re looking in to your crystal ball, wanna give me next weeks Lotto 6/49 numbers with the Encore? Or does that only allow you to look 6 years into the future?

Yzerman would be my choice just based on Tampa and the job he did there. But I don’t think any GM has really done anything to make themselves an obvious “other” choice with their current teams. With that said, Adams hasn’t done anything extraordinary that would make him anything special. His best move was getting the return he did for Ristolainen.

No, ownership has finally decided to become patient.

I read that as Ruotsalainen, and was wondering when the Sabres traded Arttu’s rights.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
To get to this point in time is something I'll give Adams credit for. To be nit picky about a couple spots to fill is silly in my opinion.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
honestly, I wish we never fired Darcy. His firing was an impulse Pegula move.

The first rebuild would have had a greater chance of success had we let him see it through.

He had a very successful rebuild in the early 2000s

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Jason Karmanos if not Adams.

If it has to be from the poll, it’s Yzerman if not Adams.

Reactions: Club

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yzerman because he built a winner already. Then Adams but I wouldn’t fire Adams to hire Yzerman. Then Briere and Grier because who knows they haven’t done anything but I haven’t liked how Grier is handling his tradeable assets. Then Drury because I really haven’t liked his work downstate. Drury not landing Eichel will eventually cost him his job.

So I guess Adams because if I became owner today I wouldn’t fire him to hire anyone else.

But agree with everyone else, weird thread, weird poll.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
None of the others have accomplished anything of note so it doesnt really matter.
Yzerman is the most accomplished on the list. But, he has also had issues trying to speed up the rebuild in Detroit.

For me, I'd probably rank them like this:

1) Adams
2) Briere
3) Grier
4) Yzerman
5) Drury

I prefer a patient GM like Adams. And I have a lot of respect for the culture change that Adams has pulled off both among the front office staff, the coaching staff, and the players.

I have Briere over Grier in the "no real track record" group just because of my respect for what he has done prior to becoming the Flyers GM and his stones in taking Michkov.

Yzerman is above Drury because he has the better track record.

I have Drury last because he seems like a Peters and Rivet GM. Hard pass.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Knowing what I know now, Adams was the best GM to handle our rebuild out of the voting options. Hes exceeded my expectations but he hasnt shown the cojones to make the trades that hurt to improve the NHL roster. With that in mind, I chose Stevie Y because he showed he could make the trades to build a championship team.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nah. This is lame. Too simple of a view, especially considering Adams and co. have this team to the point where all we need is, by your logic, a #4 RD and a goalie in the short-term to become a very good team, especially considering they started a mini rebuild three seasons ago and have been steadily improving.

You'd rather throw away the GM who has laid an incredibly strong foundation for a GM who would sign/trade for a top-4 RD + obtain a goalie for the short-term, and nothing else matters? That's all it takes in your opinion? There's so much more that goes into being a good GM that it's honestly laughable that's your only criteria for getting rid of Adams.

This doesn't even take into account Adams ADDRESSED the defense heavily this offseason. Signing two regulars. One of which may very well become Power's partner for the foreseeable future for a solid 3M/year. Different plans of attack to find Power's partner, but Adams plan isn't stupid. It's risky in the short-term but could pay dividends if it works out.

And that's how a long-term contender can come to fruition. You sign guys like Thompson, Samuelsson, Cozens quickly to deals that will be team friendly. A good GM identifies these players early and signs them as core players like Adams did. Then, if you can throw a few darts at the board (Clifton) in hopes they gel with your young players, all of the sudden- you have a damn good squad that isn't in cap hell, which gives you a leg up on other contenders who have had to pay out the ass in the past to get out of shit contracts.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
honestly, I wish we never fired Darcy. His firing was an impulse Pegula move.

That's a fiction. 2 playoff births in 7 years. The Pegula's opened up the check books to make them a contender. He failed. He let him fire Ruff, he didn't do a real coaching search and promoted a guy who was ill suited.

I've criticized the pegula's for quite a bit over the years, especially in the last 4 or 5. But firing Regier was absolutely justified.

The first rebuild would have had a greater chance of success had we let him see it through.

He had a very successful rebuild in the early 2000s

Huh? Post Hasek the team was abysmal. Part of that wasn't his fault (team in bankruptcy), but even the 05-07 teams were more a bit of catching lightning in a bottle than anything skillful. The failure of letting both co captains leave, the failing to ever replace center depth after losing top two centers, etc.

Regier had burned his bridges with most other teams by trying to win every single trade and over valued his own players. Regier was a great asset manager, but a poor team architect.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My ranking:

1. Adams
2. Yzerman
3. Grier
4 Drury
5. Briere

Seems like some minor mistakes by Briere. Having Sanheims name out there and not trading him as an example. I guess you could blame the Blues, but you don't see this happening to Lou L.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad