Who would you take with Tampa's 1st round pick?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They moved Schenn to wing two years ago before Laughton and Cousins were ready.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They moved Schenn to wing two years ago before Laughton and Cousins were ready.

And why do you think they did that? Probably wasn't to make room for Laughton or someone else, right? Probably was just to take him out of his natural and by all accounts best position. Just wanted to see if he could succeed at a different position. I don't think it had anything to do with the list of centers they currently had in the organization.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I am just talking about prospects here. Schenn and Couturier are well on their way. Laughton I like and I have high hopes for, and next year I think he becomes a regular. But in terms of prospects, NAK is the only guy of note, and he isn't even all that noteworthy.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir about trading picks and prospects. I am just surprised that people would be ok with that since that is what Homer did and he got killed for it. I've got no problem trading a prospect or picks (or both) for that missing piece...but I don't think you should draft with the idea that we can trade a guy later. If we have too many NHLers at his position. If you are looking at player X and player Y and your thought is "Well if we have too many players in the same position as player Y we can always trade him for something else," you should probably just draft player X (unless of course, there is some huge gap between them).

Wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would certainly not put us in a good position moving forward with our prospect pool. Just like when the Flyers kept drafting centers when they had a bunch. Looks great on paper. Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, Cousins. Now they are all ready to crack the lineup and we are either going to force a player to change (Schenn), or trade him (Schenn). Not the end of the world, for sure, but if they would have taken a winger or a defensemen, the team could potentially be in better shape prospect-wise. Obviously their pick could have also sucked, but I just think it is better to diversify, especially in a deep draft when you have two picks, especially when your strength in the prospect pool is concentrated almost 100% on one position.

I agree that there is a lack of talent at the forward position in the farm system, but I would also argue that our biggest need is still quality defensemen. You said yourself that there is a good chance that half of our defensive prospects don't pan out. What happens if three of Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, and Werenski/Provorv bust? The organization would be in an even worse position than it is now. The organization will not have a lack of forwards at the NHL level for at least 6-7 years with what is already in place. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Laughton, Read, and Raffl are not old by any means.

I don't think that this is the best way to build a championship team, but that is the position that the organization is in. I've almost talked myself into thinking that drafting two defensemen in the thing Hextall should be doing.

I'm of the belief that the team should sell again next year. It isn't an outrageous thought to think Streit can fetch a first round pick at the deadline. Imagine what the prospect pool would look like after the 2016 draft if they took two forwards.

Werenski/Provorov
Morin
Sanheim
Ghost
Roy/Kylington/Carlo
Hagg
Friedman
Alt

Forward(2016 Draft)
Forward(2016 Draft)
NAK
Cousins
Leier
Lindblom
Fazleev

Not to mention the other 8 picks we have in this upcoming draft. The farm system is going to be completely restocked no matter what position they draft this year. This team's window to compete will open in 2017-18. The forwards on the current roster will still be young enough to be the top contributors. Finding quality defensemen should be the main objective until it is acheived.

Following that plan would set the organization to contend for a long, long time if they strike gold on two of those defensemen.

Last edited:

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
I agree that there is a lack of talent at the forward position in the farm system, but I would also argue that our biggest need is still quality defensemen. You said yourself that there is a good chance that half of our defensive prospects don't pan out. What happens if three of Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, and Werenski/Provorv bust? The organization would be in an even worse position than it is now. The organization will not have a lack of forwards at the NHL level for at least 6-7 years with what is already in place. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Laughton, Read, and Raffl are not old by any means.

I don't think that this is the best way to build a championship team, but that is the position that the organization is in. I've almost talked myself into thinking that drafting two defensemen in the thing Hextall should be doing.

I'm of the belief that the team should sell again next year. It isn't an outrageous thought to think Streit can fetch a first round pick at the deadline. Imagine what the prospect pool would look like after the 2016 draft if they took two forwards.

Werenski/Provorov
Morin
Sanheim
Ghost
Roy/Kylington/Carlo
Hagg

Forward(2016 Draft)
Forward(2016 Draft)
NAK
Cousins
Leier
Lindblom

Not to mention the other 8 picks we have in this upcoming draft. The farm system is going to be completely restocked no matter what position they draft this year. This team's window to compete will open in 2017-18. The forwards on the current roster will still be young enough to be the top contributors. Finding quality defensemen should be the main objective until it is acheived.

Mentioned this in the other draft thread. Streit could fetch a 1st rounder for next year.
With our Defensive prospect pool stacked, that will make our forwards jobs easier. In the new NHL, having capable defenseman are even more important. Schenn, Couts, Simmonds, are all players that will benefit a lot from having a good puck moving D-man, one that can carry the puck into the offensive zone if need be.

It is also easier to acquire a top winger in FA then a top pairing D man. A 2nd pairing D man has a ton of value, more so than a 2nd/3rd liner which is the equivalent of both picks not reaching their "potential"

If we have a hole to fill at forward.. it will be much easier to get that player having very good trade chips, or by the cap space we will be clearing out within 1-2 years.

Also keep in mind, it usually takes D-men a little longer to establish themselves in the NHL. That makes taking them this year more logical.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Mentioned this in the other draft thread. Streit could fetch a 1st rounder for next year.
With our Defensive prospect pool stacked, that will make our forwards jobs easier. In the new NHL, having capable defenseman are even more important. Schenn, Couts, Simmonds, are all players that will benefit a lot from having a good puck moving D-man, one that can carry the puck into the offensive zone if need be.

It is also easier to acquire a top winger in FA then a top pairing D man. A 2nd pairing D man has a ton of value, more so than a 2nd/3rd liner which is the equivalent of both picks not reaching their "potential"

If we have a hole to fill at forward.. it will be much easier to get that player having very good trade chips, or by the cap space we will be clearing out within 1-2 years.

Also keep in mind, it usually takes D-men a little longer to establish themselves in the NHL. That makes taking them this year more logical.

We are on the same page. It is the most logical thing to do looking at the way the NHL roster is currently constructed. Unless Marner or strome fall to #7, I hope they take Provorov/Werenski. I'd be okay with taking a forward with Tampa's pick if the scouts feel the player is better than any defenseman still on the board.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And why do you think they did that? Probably wasn't to make room for Laughton or someone else, right? Probably was just to take him out of his natural and by all accounts best position.

There a lot of people on this board and in Flyers management who believe he's better suited to the wing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There a lot of people on this board and in Flyers management who believe he's better suited to the wing.

Really? I thought the general consensus was that he was the best fit at center? Whenever discussion about his moving to wing came up I remember it being to make room for someone else, not because he would do better there. Not necessarily that he would do worse at wing, but that moving him to center would be better for the team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You need to actually read other people's posts instead of just assuming they agree with your opinion.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Most of the time I assume people do not agree with my opinion.

I'd like the Flyers to take BPA in both spots in the first round; if it happens to be two defensemen, so be it. The core forward group is still pretty young, so I'm not worried about the lack of depth in the farm system yet.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Same as what i posted in the other thread. My ideal would be Werenski and then Bittner. If they take a forward with the first pick then I'd lean toward a D with Tampa's pick, Roy or Kylington.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
I'm not saying don't draft ANY defensemen, I'm just saying in a year that we have two first round picks, it is poor "asset management" to draft two defensemen in the first round. Take Provorov or Werenski first. Be my guest I'm on board. But if you do, then you gotta take a forward with that second pick (unless there are some unforeseen circumstances...guys slide or we trade back up). You can't put all your eggs in one basket. It looks great to have six high ceiling, young, cheap defensemen. What a great foundation. Until three of them never make the NHL and now we are four years down the road and have no one under 25 that can score a goal besides NAK or whatever (and that's IF he pans out). They have to diversify.

I don't agree. It would be poor asset management to take a forward just cause they already have good d prospects. Defenseman also take longer to develop so you could draft a Dman this year n a forward next year and the forward still may be NHL ready first. I'm all for drafting a forward and if there's 2 similar players that's what I'd prefer with one of the picks. Considering what they already have, BUT like you said it's only a hope at this point that one of them becomes a #1. 3 of them never making the NHL is all the reason to keep stocking up on potential top pairing dmen. If their scouts feel thats where they should go I'm fine with it. The current forward core isn't old either. G, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, and Schenn. It may be the last chance to draft a #1 dman for Giroux's prime too if they don't already have one.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I would try something out of the box with maybe 2nd or 3 Rd rounder. Nashville smashed a homer with Shea weber in the second round. He was out awhile with injury. He is in my humble opinion best dman in the league. A guy of Chris pronger ilk. Go for someone with a high ceiling, that other teams are kicking tires, thinking, ah let's wait injuries and nothing else caused a drop. Swoop in, let the guy recover, sit back and watch him recover, get his game on, and if he cant stay healthy, he would just be a stat for a pick that does not make the nhl, which a large percentage of draft picks are anyways.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would try something out of the box with maybe 2nd or 3 Rd rounder. Nashville smashed a homer with Shea weber in the second round. He was out awhile with injury. He is in my humble opinion best dman in the league. A guy of Chris pronger ilk. Go for someone with a high ceiling, that other teams are kicking tires, thinking, ah let's wait injuries and nothing else caused a drop. Swoop in, let the guy recover, sit back and watch him recover, get his game on, and if he cant stay healthy, he would just be a stat for a pick that does not make the nhl, which a large percentage of draft picks are anyways.

Weber played basically every game during his draft year (he's been durable pretty much his whole career so far). He fell because he was very raw (didn't have much of a offensive game, wasn't nearly filled out, was a really young birthday compared to his peers, etc.) as a player in a deep draft.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Forwards I like late in 1st:

Brock Boeser, RW, 6'1, 192lbs
Joel Eriksson Ek, C, 6'2, 180lbs
Jake DeBrusk, LW, 6'0, 180lbs
Anthony Beauvillier, LW/C, 5'10, 180lbs
Denis Guryanov, LW/RW, 6'2, 183lbs
Thomas Novak, C/LW, 6'0, 180lbs

Dmen I like late in 1st:

Jeremy Roy, RD, 6'0, 185lbs
Jakub Zboril, LD, 6'2, 185lbs
Thomas Chabot, LD, 6'2, 180lbs
Brandon Carlo, RD, 6'5, 195lbs
Noah Juulsen, RD, 6'1, 180lbs

Quite a few of those 11 will be there...

(I think Kylington, White, Konency, Svechnikov, Bittner and Merkley will be gone.)

There are a few other I like who will be there... Lindgren, Foley, Bracco, Andersson, Larsson etc... but I don't think they are worth a late 1st, instead an early to mid 2nd.

It is crazy how many very solid prospects this draft has... I usually find myself trawling through loads of reports and videos to find a handful of late 1st/early 2nd kind of guys I would be very happy to have in our pool... this year so many have awesome skillsets and produce to boot.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I'm liking what I'm reading about Jakub Zboril. Wonder if he's climbing into the top 20 though.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm liking what I'm reading about Jakub Zboril. Wonder if he's climbing into the top 20 though.

I have him at ~15-20 on my own list... but he could be there... there is a lot of shuffling around likely after ~15.

The way I see it:

McDavid, Eichel. Gone first two picks.

Hanifin, Marner and Strome. Gone by #7.

Provorov, Werenski, Crouse, Barzal and Rantanen. Gone by #12.

Zacha, Meier, Connor. Gone by #15.

Svechnikov, Kylington, Konecny, Merkley. Gone by #20.

That is 17 players I think will very likely be gone by 20.

Then:

Bittner
Sprong
White
Boeser
Roy
Zboril
Chabot
Carlo

I think will all be gone by the end of the 1st. So that is 25 guys I reckon are very likely 1st rounders.

Then a few of:

Novak
Harkins
Eriksson Ek
Chlapik
DeBrusk
Greenway
Beauvillier
Guryanov
Bracco
Meloche
Juulsen

will complete the top 30... though ofc there will be risers, fallers and surprises!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was always hurt when I went to watch Saint John. I think Chabot is going to be the better pro but I need to see more of this kid.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
The problem is the draft is so deep I think that teams from 20-60 will have completely different draft boards. This is going to be fun. I'd love to see them go Crouse>D>and pray that maybe a guy like Greenway falls to them in the second. I doubt it but a guy can dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad