Who would you start against Boston on Tuesday and why... Anderson or Hammond

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I'll say it again - I strongly believe that if we make the playoffs, Andy's our best chance at winning a series. Hammond's been playing lights out, but Anderson's our franchise goalie for a reason. Can't say that third period last night didn't make me a bit nervous though.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Anderson and Lehner couldn't even string together 4 games in a row, right?

So yes. You go with Hammond. The goalie who put you in this position. The goalie the team seems to play better in front of.

Not sure if you were watching the first half of the season but the team was awful, forwards could not score and the defense hung the goalie to dry night after night after night allowing teams to pepper Anderson. He stood on his head for many of those games.

I understand your reasoning that you believe the team is more motivated to win with him and that may have been true to some aspect, but there is nothing to rally for anymore with Andy back. I can't begin to believe they won't keep that same motivation for Andy. If they can't they don't deserve to win.

Last edited:

RedSeven*

Anderson sucked last night. he's a cry baby, perennial IR candidate.

Start Hammond.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No point in addressing the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd on their terms, as there is no real point.

However,

There is an old hockey adage that says that "you don't lose your spot because of injury".

Andy is our starter, he will start the important games from here on out.

Jaromir Jagrbombs

Sep 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've kinda been flip-flopping. I think Hammond has been lights out and in some sense deserves the start, but at the same time Andy is our starter and I think you have to go with him in a must-win game.

Courty

Apr 13, 2007
Anderson is the right call, and the only call if this team is serious about making the playoffs.

The road to the playoffs is a marathon, and if we happen to make it there Anderson is the only goalie who can give us a chance to win a 7 game series. We need to start playing him now and stick with him.

Not be mention going head to head against a Carry Price or Ben Bishop... we need a goalie who can steal a game and make the right save at the right time because of experience and skill. There is a huge difference between a goalie who makes the saves due to calculated and technically executed positioning and skill, and that comes with years of NHL goalie coaching and experience. That's the kind of goalie that wins playoff series for teams because they are solid and reliable. Therefore, Anderson is our guy.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
No point in addressing the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd on their terms, as there is no real point.

However,

There is an old hockey adage that says that "you don't lose your spot because of injury".

when you need to go 13-5 or better to get the last playoff spot, all the games are important

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Anderson sucked last night. he's a cry baby, perennial IR candidate.

Start Hammond.

You're a joke.

Goalie who's been playing solid in front of a team playing good (for 9 games)

OR

Goalie who's been bailing us out for 3 years even when we we're playing like crap

Hammond deserves the start but saying Andy sucked last night is a lack of hockey knowledge. He's been left all alone for the 3rd period facing 25 shots (that's the amount of shots you face in a game usually) and it was his first game back in more than a month and he made more than 40 saves. This team has never let down on Hammond like they did last night, the result would've likely been the same with him in net. Andy has been the best goalie this team has had in a decade and if you're more than 15 years old you should know how much this team struggled to find it's identity in net. We finally have an excellent goalie who can bail us out and people like you need to realize how lucky we are to have a goalie like Anderson.

I really don't mind who is in net, both are solid goalies and give us a good chance to win. The only thing I hate about this situation is, if we lose, whoever is in net, some guy like you will come and say we would've won if the other goalie was in net.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I find myself agreeing with points people are making on both sides, which means that I ultimately don't think it is decisive one way or the other. I will be fine with either in net tomorrow.

The interesting side bar here is that Cameron will ultimately be judged by whether the team wins tomorrow. If the Sens win fans will think he was wise for choosing the right goalie. If the Sens lose, a portion of the fan base with thing he effed up royally by picking the wrong goalie.

It is a results orientated business, and Cameron is getting his first taste of the Kobayashi Maru.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wow, I took so much crap for even suggesting this after the game & now there is a poll where it is almost 50/50 between the two goalies as to who should start. I like the run Hammond has been on & think he has the potential to write a pretty good story for the Ottawa Senators this yr.

It could come to an end at any time but until it does they should ride him & let him try & create a "miracle run" that will have the hockey world talking about a great "feel good story" about our team. Something that doesn't happen a lot instead of the negative stories that seem to surround this team more often.

It may not be fair to Anderson but this is a business & IMO Hammond is putting bums in the seats more so than Anderson at this time. Tuesday is a huge game for this franchise this season, win & you stay in the race, lose & it's quite likely your out. Who gives Ottawa the best chance to win that game the vet or the new guy? Interesting & somewhat ironic to see how many people on here who are so quick to dismiss the veteran forwards & defencemen on this team & yet defend the veteran goalie over the younger challenger who has been playing so well. The best players play, I heard that a lot.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Anderson's the #1 and this is where a coach is forced to show that.

While playing Hammond from now until the magic wears off might seem like the thing to do from a story perspective, I think you need to get Anderson back in net regularly if we have a chance to move on this year.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
and just like that our slide out of post season contention begins...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

However,

I hope you feel the same way when Smith & Neil are ready to return.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I hope you feel the same way when Smith & Neil are ready to return.

theres got to be an exception to the rule though, i mean posting a top 5 save % is something that gets anderson some leeway, whereas phillips/neil/smith haven't done anything this year that earns them the same leeway

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't understand why some people are against Anderson.

He was very good in the first two periods against the Flames. He made some awesome saves.

Then the team just stopped skating. Anderson hasn't played in more than a month. It is understandable why he wouldn't really be at the top of his game. If you want to blame somebody for what happened, blame the team in front of him. They shouldn't have left him out to dry like that by making him face 20+ shots in that period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad