crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Assuming this fixed lineup:

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchy - Pleks - Gally
Prust - Eller - RW
Moen - White - Weise

And that Pleks/Eller are interchangeable.

For 2014-15, out of (alphabetic order):
Andrighetto, Briere, Bournival, Bourque, Gionta, Leblanc, Thomas

Place in order of preference - by considering size, skill, speed and versatility - who gets the 3rd line duties on RW, for example:

Gionta >> Bourque >> Bournival >> Leblanc >> Andrighetto >> Thomas >> Briere

It's a one-liner reply.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchy - Pleks - Gally
Prust - Eller - RW
Moen - White - Weise

Andrighetto, Bournival, Bourque, Gionta, Leblanc, Thomas

Place in order of preference - by considering size, skill, speed and versatility - who gets the 3rd line duties on RW, for example:

Gionta >> Bourque >> Bournival >> Leblanc >> Andrighetto >> Thomas

It's a one-liner reply.

Battle would be between Andrighetto and Bournival. Remains to be seen, we don't know how Andrighetto will handle the NHL. Safest bet is Bournival. Most likely the answer will be....Brière.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
... And Bourque got two more years on his contract... How can we get rid of him + Brière ????

Bourque is on the OP list!

Also Bourque's contract actually helps bottom spending teams for his last 2 years. I'm sure he will be moved ( but don't expect much)

Bourque has a 3.33 cap hit but will be making 5 million on his last 2 years. So a bottom spedning team will benefit for that 800 000 they save per year

habitue*

Bourque is on the OP list!

Also Bourque's contract actually helps bottom spending teams for his last 2 years. I'm sure he will be moved ( but don't expect much)

Bourque has a 3.33 cap hit but will be making 5 million on his last 2 years. So a bottom spedning team will benefit for that 800 000 they save per year

That might help, but it's gonna be hard to trade him. Habs will have to retain a % of his salary on top of that.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
For this year, right now:

Briere > Gionta > Bourque >> Andrighetto > Bournival (off-wing) > Thomas > Leblanc

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Patches - DD - Vanek
Galchy - Pleks - Gally
Prust - Eller - RW
Moen - White - Weise

Andrighetto, Briere, Bournival, Bourque, Gionta, Leblanc, Thomas

Gionta >> Bourque >> Bournival >> Leblanc >> Andrighetto >> Thomas >> Briere

It's a one-liner reply.

No they're not.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Buyout Bourque.

Trade Briere to a team who needs to make it to the cap floor.

math doesn't make sense to buyout Bork and then pay someone to replace him in the line up next year. Maybe in 2016 but barring a trade, I can't see how he's going to be bought out and we manage to fill out the roster to our liking. He's a necessary evil at this point and, barring a trade. Same for Briere.

Also, how are Plex and Eller "interchangable?" Eller is nowhere near Plex's ability and usefullness.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Brière will be in the line-up and I think Gachenyuk will finally be used as a center.

Assuming Vanek resigns (I wouldn't bet on that, personally), I think it could look something like this.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Brière - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Galchenyuk - Gionta or Bourque
Moean - White - Weise

No, I didn't forget Eller. I simply think his days are counted with the Habs, unfortunately. As much as I like him when he's playing with confidence, I hate to see him being as inconsistent as he's been this season. He's been passed on the depth chart by three other natural centers, and that's excluding Brière. I really doubt, based on the utilization Therrien has made out of him and the rumors at the trade deadline that he may be on the market, that the organization views him as highly as some fans around here.

I won't speculate as to what will Bergevin target in return for Eller on the trade market... It could be anything and will depend on who we resign this summer and if we can attract some free agents. But I really do think that Eller is as good as gone right now.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Also, how are Plex and Eller "interchangable?" Eller is nowhere near Plex's ability and usefullness.

Not interchangeable in the sense that they are similar players. Interchangeable in the sense that they could center either one of the lines on which they are found within the fixed lineup.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Not interchangeable in the sense that they are similar players. Interchangeable in the sense that they could center either one of the lines on which they are found within the fixed lineup.

They are not interchangeable and they are two very different players. At this point if Eller becomes slightly close to the kind of player that Pleks is, it would be a huge victory for this team.

If you compare Pleks first 4 seasons with Eller's you can argue that they are simply not on the same level.

Something has to happen for Eller or he will have a short and frustrating career in the NHL.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I know what you mean but I still disagree. The top two lines play more minutes which is another reason why they're not interchangable. Throwing Prust on with Plex and an unknown RW on the 3rd line while Eller plays with Gally and Chuckie makes no sense.

Not a big deal, just say in'..

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I know what you mean but I still disagree. The top two lines play more minutes which is another reason why they're not interchangable. Throwing Prust on with Plex and an unknown RW on the 3rd line while Eller plays with Gally and Chuckie makes no sense.

Not a big deal, just say in'..

Totally fine with you disagreeing. What I would weight in is that we have seen Plex with worst linemates in the past - D'Agostini comes to mind. I would even argue that Plex would probably bring some upside out of Prust's game.

I have said it many times before, Plex on 5-on-5, Plex on PK, Plex on PP, Plex on the zamboni, Plex picking up the ice during commercials....There will come a time were he won't be able to carry all of those duties while still being efficient (playoffs anyone?). He will need to settle down in a specific role that will ensure a very very long career.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think if we resign Vanek something could work like

Patch-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Vanek-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Prust-White-Weise

Switch Pacioretty and Vanek if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad