who would you rather McDavid or Matthew's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMKT87

Jul 8, 2008
I voted other because I wasn't sure what Matthews was in possession of. It never was specified... The guide from back to the future? Sole access to Gary Roberts?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Poor Matthews. :laugh:
I can see it now. we win the lottery, we draft him and everyone is gonna be "But he's not Conner..."

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Poor Matthews. :laugh:
I can see it now. we win the lottery, we draft him and everyone is gonna be "But he's not Conner..."

I think it will take a good three years in the NHL for both, to make a true comparisson and to know who the better catch was..., Daisy.. Who knows..? McDavid could turn out to be injury prone... Matthews could give up hockey and become a figure skater.. Morgan Rielly could come back next season and add his defensive game to his WHL offensive totals... and wow everybody..?

Too many people get way too over-hyped by what a few media people say... Everything is speculation, until we see these guys play in the big league for awhile..

But.., for the question to this thread.., It's Micky-D for me...

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Eichel and Matthews have put up nearly identical numbers in the USHL -- Matthews in 2015, Eichel in 2014:

2014 USHL Eichel 1.875ppg (302% of average) starting the season at 16.94 years old
24 GP, 20G, 25A (45P)

2015 USHL Auston Matthews 2.00ppg (296% of average) starting the season at 17.05 years old
24 GP, 20G, 28A (48P)

Matthews = Eichel.

McDavid is a generational player. Eichel and Matthews are good, but not nearly that good.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Matthews.

McDavid's career will not be what people think.
Absolutely McDavid is more talented ... but the Edmonton curse and NHL hits will add up.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The answer is unquestionably McDavid...but we don't have him so why dwell? If Matthews can become a Stamkos-Tavares-Seguin level player, that's also good for us.

Marner-Matthews-JVR
Kapanen-Nylander-Komarov
Holland-Kadri-Leivo
(4th line)

Or if we get Stamkos (I think we won't but less and less so every day)...

Marner-Stamkos-JVR
Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Holland-Kadri-Komarov
(4th line)

And of course guys like Brown, Timashov, Lindberg, Gauthier, Dzerkals, Leipsic and Johnson, in addition to the picks (11?) we have this year. Looks like a forward group with a great mix of size and skill - I daresay that (IF - these guys reach or come close to reaching their true potential) it could even be a Stanley Cup contending caliber group of forwards.

By comparison, Edmonton...

Eberle - McDavid - Pouliot
Hall - RNH - Yakupov
(3rd line with Draisatl)
(4th line)

McDavid is God.
Eberle is highly skilled, but small, soft and easy to play against.
Pouliot is a surprise but he's a 2nd-3rd liner not a top liner.
You can already see Hall's past injuries slowing him down.
RNH...like Eberle but a little more complete but injury prone.
Yakupov is a bust, he looks like the worst 1st overall since Patrik Stefan.

Others, like Draisatl look great...but the rest of them are terrible. And don't even start me on that defense - even after trading our best defenseman, we still have two guys better than anything they have and better prospects.

The NHL isn't the NBA - one superstar doesn't make you into a championship contender.

And for the love of god...let's let McDavid play a few full seasons before we say he's better than Wayne Gretzky (the most prolific player ever) or Mario Lemieux (the most dominant forward ever)!

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
There is no player in the league (or world for that matter) that I would want more than McDavid for this team as it sits.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
This is a landslide.

I wonder if having the two Fins or Matthews and a Fin vs McDavid would sway some votes.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I wouldn't care if McDavid was born in Moscow to a former KGB Agent and Matthews grew up at Maple Leaf Square Condos.

I'm taking McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad