Who would you rather have on your team: Jack Eichel or Alex Tuch?

Who do you choose

• Jack Eichel

Votes: 90 48.4%
  • Alex Tuch

Votes: 66 35.5%
  • Why did you make this poll you fool???

Votes: 30 16.1%

• Total voters

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Who would you rather have on your team now and going forward? Alex Tuch or Jack Eichel
Tuch was drafted 2014 Eichel drafted 2015
Tuch this season: GP:50 G:25 A:31 P:55
Career: GP:355 G:97 A:135 P: 232
Height 6'4 Weight 219 Age 26 Birthday May 10 1996
Eichel this season: GP:38 G:15 A:19 P:34
Career: GP:447 G:168 A:246 P:414
Height 6'2 Weight 214 Age 26 Birthday October 28 1996
Interesting facts: Tuch grew up a Syracuse native rooting for the Buffalo Sabres living his childhood dream and Eichel has a broken neck.

• Haha
Reactions: sufferer

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's a funny question to ask...but i think there's some merit in it.

Eichel is clearly the vastly superior player. But...the reality is, if you take Eichel here, he's going to be one of your absolute "core" players. You're going to have to build around him as one of only a few megacontracts that you can afford to have on the books. I think it's valid at this point, to question how viable it is to build around Eichel as your lead off "superstar" sort of player.

Tuch is also a pretty unique player. He's one of the better "power forwards" in the league these days. Those players are hugely coveted and hard to find. Especially on a reasonable contract like Tuch. He's not really a guy you entirely "build around" like Eichel...but he's not paid in a way that you have to build around him. He can very much just be a complementary piece to your core.

But it's an interesting question, because going with Tuch provides you the theoretically implied option of finding some other core player to build around. Yet it isn't a guarantee. Where Eichel is a very talented player that is a guarantee in this scenario. So it's almost a question of...how confident are you that you can find an impact "superstar" player at least as good or better than Eichel, somewhere else?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Tuch. Half the price, great player, currently out-performing Jack this season and an unbelievable locker room "vibes" guy. His energy is infectious and his speed and forechecking are incredible. I don't think Tage could have this type of season without Tuch (and vice versa).

Of course Eichel is more talented, but I'm taking Tuch. There's a good chance that Eichel will bounce back and be elite at some point, but he isn't right now and he comes with a full set of baggage.

Reactions: bert and Faceboner

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Tuch does looks like the choice right now based on his performance/salary value, but the thing with Eichel is that he's so talented that he could easily break 100pts in the next season and all these threads will look silly.

Reactions: Faceboner

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If your picking eichel, your wrong, very wrong. Especially factoring in contracts. I see a lot of ppg players making less than 5 schmill winning cups, I have yet to see one $10 million caphit player win a cup….

Reactions: bert

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Sabres fan picking Eichel, but it's a tough decision. Eichel plays a prime position (Center), and to me is more skilled. Tuch is a really solid first line player, but will never have that superstar ceiling Eichel has. I'd always rather take the guy with the higher ceiling, and trust that I could realize that potential.

Tuch - at his best - is a PPG winger at a great cap hit
Eichel - at his best - is a 100+ point all situations superstar center

If, 2-3 years from now, Eichel is still struggling with that consistency and not dominating like he has the potential to, my choice shifts to Tuch

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Tuch does looks like the choice right now based on his performance/salary value, but the thing with Eichel is that he's so talented that he could easily break 100pts in the next season and all these threads will look silly.
Sabres fan picking Eichel, but it's a tough decision. Eichel plays a prime position (Center), and to me is more skilled. Tuch is a really solid first line player, but will never have that superstar ceiling Eichel has. I'd always rather take the guy with the higher ceiling, and trust that I could realize that potential.

Tuch - at his best - is a PPG winger at a great cap hit
Eichel - at his best - is a 100+ point all situations superstar center

If, 2-3 years from now, Eichel is still struggling with that consistency and not dominating like he has the potential to, my choice shifts to Tuch
That is my opinion on eichel as well he has that ability you can see clear as day to be a 100+ point player but he gas yet to realize that potential and the early comparisons people made about him being a rick nash or seguin seem to be coming to fruition at this point in his career now this is first season really back from injury and I could see that next year he rebounds but, at the same time he has been injured again and missed more time this year, at this point his health is a concern imo.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Right about now I wish we never made the trade. But all things considered, it's still Eichel.
I always considered Tuch to valuable to lose even for Eichel. Heck especially with how Carrier has played this year, I think a line with Tuch and Carrier would be scary, not just for offence, but the physical game and their speed and bull like tenacity.

Reactions: HanSolo

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Last year when people were critical of Eichel for his poor performance people said "wait until next year when he gets a full camp and adjusts to his new team"... well he went on to pace for a 73 point season.

Let's face it, he may always be a 100 point talent but he'll never likely get anywhere near that with his 10 cent attitude and brain.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Last year when people were critical of Eichel for his poor performance people said "wait until next year when he gets a full camp and adjusts to his new team"... well he went on to pace for a 73 point season.

Let's face it, he may always be a 100 point talent but he'll never likely get anywhere near that with his 10 cent attitude and brain.
Crosby and mcdavid are where they are because the core of them as human beings (character) is rock solid (work ethic and humble). Skill can only get you so far in hockey. Hockey requires a ton of effort, exerstion. Kovalev was considered one of the most talented players to lace of skates, but laziness and attitude was his downfall.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

Maybe you are right, but then again most people also gave up on Karlsson, and now he seems to be the front runner for Norris. So you never know..

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Maybe you are right, but then again most people also gave up on Karlsson, and now he seems to be the front runner for Norris. So you never know..
Karlsson has one of the most decorated careers of any defenseman in recent history.

With Eichel, it’s always been the perception of what we think his ceiling is (a top 5 player in the world) vs. the reality of what he is (a pretty run of the mill top line player).

Anyone that saw Eichel play as an amateur was struck by how he looked: length, powerful and smooth stride, hands, shot, creativity. It was impossible to miss. And to some degree, it’s translated. But it never translated all the way, and a lot of people are still holding onto that. Maybe it’s time to let that go and just recognize what he is, which is a really nice player, but not the franchise changer we all thought he could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad