Who would you rather have? Best player vs Best GM

Who would you rather have in your organization?

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
pretty sure we are talking about a 10-15 year period not 1 measly year.
I did not see any indication of time. I'm sure after 15 years having the best GM would pay a lot of dividends but I'm not sure the difference between the worst GM and the best is all that large.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Best player easily. Best gm's without good players can do crap.

at least a best player can win the championship for his team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Best player easily. Best gm's without good players can do crap.

at least a best player can win the championship for his team.
you can have good players and not have the best player in the league, so that doesn't really make sense. Also the best players don't win a championship without a good supporting team

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
having the best gm i guess impyling theyre building a good team

so would you rather have a good team or the best player?

to take this out a hypotethical
id rather have the jets than than what the oilers are right now

and I'm not impyling that Chevy is the best gm

lawrence

May 19, 2012
you can have good players and not have the best player in the league, so that doesn't really make sense. Also the best players don't win a championship without a good supporting team

this is obvious, it was more towards the question of between the best gm or best player type.

so yes best player, if you ask me in 2005 would you rather have Crosby or the Best gm in the world, it be Crosby,

today I take McDavid over the top 3 gm of the year nominees easily.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Best player. If your team has a bad gm they eventually get fired. Cant put a price of an elite player

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Gap between McDavid and say the 11th best player in the league is far bigger than gap between whoever you think is a good GM and the 15th best GM in the league too.
True but a bad GM [M.B.] could destroy the team around that best player since the GM holds all the cards.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dunno. The Oilers are a great example. They have the best player and worst GM and the GM has neutralized McDavid by trading his entire supporting cast

Could they be better off with say eichel or Provorov instead plus an average GM (and Hall, eberle, 1st, 2nd etc)? I honestly dont know

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I did not see any indication of time. I'm sure after 15 years having the best GM would pay a lot of dividends but I'm not sure the difference between the worst GM and the best is all that large.
Make no mistake about it, the best GM in the business would keep his team competitive and in good shape for years to come. A terrible GM will make his team worse even if he has the best player.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Make no mistake about it, the best GM in the business would keep his team competitive and in good shape for years to come. A terrible GM will make his team worse even if he has the best player.
Which goes back to...easier to fire and replace a GM than a Franchise player.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
But who's the best GM? They're all pretty bad at their job.

The worst GM in the league also somehow presided over a cup winner, so I guess I'd take McDavid and hope the GM can luck out building the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deficient Mode

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Best GM. Can surround the top players on the team with great depth players, sign players to good contracts, hire the right coach, scouts etc etc.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Which goes back to...easier to fire and replace a GM than a Franchise player.
The best player is there, theoretically, to help you win. If you have the best GM, he will build you a good team. You don't need the best player at that point.
There's no guarantees you will find the right GM any faster than you will find that franchise player.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The best player is there, theoretically, to help you win. If you have the best GM, he will build you a good team. You don't need the best player at that point.
There's no guarantees you will find the right GM any faster than you will find that franchise player.

Most of the past cup winners were built on the back of top 5 picks. Really only the Bruins were built mainly thru non top 5 picks and thru actual GMing

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
True but a bad GM [M.B.] could destroy the team around that best player since the GM holds all the cards.

If Bergevin had had McDavid/Crosby, I highly doubt that player would be traded. Theoretically a GM could do so but not even Chiarelli - for all the elite forwards he has traded away for scraps - would consider trading McDavid.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Every "good GM" ends up going bad eventually. I'll take the player because he'll make the GM look good most of the time (except Chia right now)

member 105785

You don't need a great GM when you have the best player, you just need a competent one.

You don't need the best player when you have the best GM, you just need a lot of good ones on under FMV contracts and drafted NHL'ers on ELC's

See how easily that was debunked?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
"Best" player with the worst GM doesn't make the playoffs. (no/minimal talent to support the player)

"Best" player with an average GM makes the playoffs more often than not, possibly contending for the cup occasionally.

"Best" player with an above average GM (but not the best) makes the playoffs every year and is almost always a threat to win the cup.

The "best" GM will make the playoffs every year (barring catastrophic injuries) because they won't mismanage their assets. The team will be competitive (if not the "best") almost every year. The only exception to that would be if they were just starting at that position and they had to rebuild the mess from the previous GM.

---

Of course who is the "best" player/GM varies from year to year. However I'd guess that, when the "best" player/GM in a given year are on different teams, the team with the "best" GM goes further in the playoffs than the team with the "best" player more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad