Who would you rank Top 5 in the NHL for Puck Handling Skills?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Mine:

1. McDavid
2. Kane
3. Eichel
4. Crosby
5. Matthews

Probably over evaluated some guys and missed some but please let me know your list and let me know if I have faults in mine. Thanks for reading.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Efficiant puckhandling or just skick. moves that rarely gives the player any real advantage in the games?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Malkin
Kane
Mcdavid
J hockey
Karlsson

Hm: Crosby, drouin
From somewhat limited viewings marner and radulov looked good too

McPheesMoustache

No Scrubs...
Jul 11, 2009
Victoria
Have to think about now that Datsyuk and Kovalev are gone...

Kucherov comes to mind. Kane, Panarin, Subban, McDavid and Pavelski too (in no particular order).

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
1. Kane
2. Malkin
3. Gaudreau
4. Drouin
5. McDavid

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mine:

1. McDavid
2. Kane
3. Eichel
4. Crosby
5. Matthews

Probably over evaluated some guys and missed some but please let me know your list and let me know if I have faults in mine. Thanks for reading.

Matthews has some amazing hands in the corner and along the boards but he doesn't usually pull of a lot of wow type of moves. I tend to see marner try those loves more often. I think as Matthews gets more experience he will make this list but right now i would say in no order the top 5 is Crosby, Malkin, Mcdavid, Kane, Gaudreau

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Matthews has some amazing hands in the corner and along the boards but he doesn't usually pull of a lot of wow type of moves. I tend to see marner try those loves more often. I think as Matthews gets more experience he will make this list but right now i would say in no order the top 5 is Crosby, Malkin, Mcdavid, Kane, Gaudreau

I think Marner will be on a similar list this time next year. If I had to bet on a player to deke from a stand still around a cpl guys my 1st pick is Kane then Marner.

Those are really the only 2 that excel in that "phone booth" puck in feet style moves. The other guys are elite but they use a different style. An other way to put it is Kane/Marner will use 5-8 touches in 2-3 secs to deke while guys like J.G, Crosby, McDavid will use 2-5 for their Deke.
Usually the 2-5 touch deke is successful so if we are purely looking at success rates presently then Marner is not in top 5
But if we are looking the technical ability going into said moves Kane and Marner are up there

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
A good stat for this is the total time with the puck on said players stick per game. Usually the best skaters + stick-handlers are leading this category.

I'd say overall Crosby is better than Kane in terms of puck-handling. Its close, but Sid handles the puck better than anyone else in the league. I feel he is one of the few that can really do whatever he wants to with the puck and can put it in any area he wants to. Similar to how elite golfers can hit a green 150 yards away with every one of their clubs.

1. Crosby
2. McDavid (fastest hands of all time?)
2. Kane
3. Malkin
4. Eichel/Matthews
5. Mackinnon/Tavares

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Not usually, but he did dangle through Hedman on his knees before he even played an NHL game.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
LMAO @the mention of Matthews

Kane
McDavid
Gaudreau
Karlsson
Crosby

@32 seconds if it doesn't start there.

As already mentioned, he dangled Hedman at the worlds, and there are combilations on youtube these are the first two results I found. To be nice, you have no idea what you are talking about, try watching the player before dismissing things.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Karlsson isn't a top 5 stickhandler in the league....

His game is more about skating than stickhandling.
He's way below guys like Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, Malkin...
Also Nash, Giroux, Sedins etc. who I haven't even seen mentioned yet..

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Kane
Malkin
Gaudreau
Karlsson
Ovechkin
Ovi handles it like a hot potato.

Srs though I wouldn't rank him top-5 in that category. He does have some pretty quick hands and can dangle anyone, but you'd be hard pressed to find lots of folks who'd consider him to be that high when it comes to puck handling.

Kane (obviously)
Karlsson (dat finesse)

Crosby, Malkin, Gaudreau of course. And then McDavid just doing it incredibly fast at supersonic skating speed isn't fair.

Datsyuk might be the best ever at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad