Who would you keep?

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
I know there are still months of offseason to go, but I'm already thinking about this.

This past season I finished 2nd in an 8-player points league. It was pretty surprising because my team seams really lousy. I have none of the huge big-name assets and the stars I do have underperformed last year (Sedin, Seguin and Eberle were all really disappointing keepers). Semin was a late season acquisition, so the only really solid player I had all year was Ribeiro. I guess my secret was rolling sweet backup goalies for easy wins.

Keepers are 1 C, LW, RW, D and 2 others for a total of six.

My roster is:

Henrik Zetterberg (DET - C, LW)
Mike Ribeiro (PHO - C)
Tyler Seguin (DAL - C, RW)
David Krejci (BOS - C)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (EDM, C)
Johan Franzen (DET - LW, RW)
Daniel Sedin (VAN - LW)
Joffrey Lupul (TOR - LW, RW)
Jordan Eberle (EDM - RW)
Justin Williams (LA - RW)
Phil Kessel (TOR - RW)
Alexander Semin (CAR - RW, LW)
Mark Streit (PHI - D)
Dustin Byfuglien (WPG - D, RW)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (PHO - D)
Shea Weber (NSH - D)
Mike Green (WAS - D)

Robin Lehner (OTT - G)
Anton Khudobin (CAR - G)
Cam Ward (CAR - G)
Tomas Vokoun (PIT - G)
Ray Emery (PHI - G)
Jonas Hiller (ANA - G)
Carey Price (MTL - G)

I don't necessarily need to pick a goalie, but it's probably a good idea, no? But I dunno, goalies are impossible to rely on, and it's really easy to pick Montreal/Price as likely collapses this year (and Price is the only goalie worth keeping). Last season, so many of the keeper goalies and early draft pick goalies ended up being busts, so maybe I should just cut them all loose and keep an eye on the early performers? Plus, nobody else seems to have caught on to the strategy of just rolling backup goalies on winning teams, so maybe I'll just play that game again. Scoop up Vokoun in a late round and grab Khabibulin and Boston's backup from free agency? Is it crazy to not keep Price, because I have a bad feeling about him.

Defense is probably just going to be Weber. Buff was solid and will be solid, but he's probably not as valuable as my forwards. And as promising as OEL is, again, I think my forwards are more valuable.

So that leave 4 forwards. As good as Lupul and Semin were last season, they probably aren't keeper quality, so I'm probably just banking on Sedin again. There's my LW slot. For the other three slots, I figure I have to choose between Seguin, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Kessel. It's a tough call balancing "potential" with actual results, especially considering most of these guys underperformed last year.

Ugh... so...

Seguin C
D Sedin LW
Eberle RW
Weber D
Kessel
Price

Abandoning RNH? Or is that crazy? What would you do?

Reel2Reel

Aug 3, 2013
C- RNH (potential too high to not keep imo)
LW- Sedin
RW- Kessel
D- Buff
Price
Eberle

It's hard to only pick 6!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad