Who would you have replacing Poile?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'd say Poile has a big decision in his hands, does he:

1) Change coaches and try once more with this (relatively young) core. Maybe end selling some upcoming UFAs and try to make a push next year with a new coach and with Forsberg' and Ekholm's deals coming up.

2) Ride with Hynes, sell off important pieces like Ekholm and set this team back for a few years essentially leading to us missing "the window" with this core.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'd say Poile has a big decision in his hands, does he:

1) Change coaches and try once more with this (relatively young) core. Maybe end selling some upcoming UFAs and try to make a push next year with a new coach and with Forsberg' and Ekholm's deals coming up.

2) Ride with Hynes, sell off important pieces like Ekholm and set this team back for a few years essentially leading to us missing "the window" with this core.
Firing hynes should of already happened. He needs to get rid of him now so we can see if another coach can turn it around before the trade deadline. And fire the whole staff not just hynes. Bring Taylor and his staff as a intern for the rest of the year

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
heh Pierre. McGuire. and I just vomited in my mouth
trouble.gif

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Alls I'm saying if Poile starts trading away core pieces like Ekholm without firing Hynes and trying a different coach first, then I would seriously consider his future with the organization as well.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
One thing I've forgotten to mention about Poile, he does not know how to construct a team based on salary. What I mean by this is never giving out big money contracts to the guys who really warrant them and filling the roster with plugs who will get the job done in the bottom 3, if not bottom 6.

What I mean by this is if you have to pay to get the elite players. Josi is the one player he gave out a big money contract who deserved it. Guys like Joey and Duchene, while solid, were they worth the $8 mil a season they're getting? Why not spend a little more and get guys who actually produce at that level? He would've had the money to do so if he hadn't given out stupid long term deals to guys like Sissons and Jarnkrok. Players like these are a dime a dozen in the league and can be had relatively cheap. Pay your top end guys top end money, fill the roster with young players on ELC's or plugs. It's not brain surgery.

Also, you're not going to win Cups without top end talent up front. Look at the last decade or so of Cup winners and every team had top end forwards as well as defensemen. It can't be one or the other. You can't skrimp. Boston and St. Louis didn't have the stud offensive center that the other teams had BUT, Bergeron and O'Reilly were so good with their two way play, it made up for any of their offensive deficiencies and even then, they were good output producers.

Sorry folks, I'm just down on Poile as a GM, have been cooped up to long and the frustration is boiling over. Thanks for giving me a place to vent.

Reactions: predhead1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m not really sure what other centers we were supposed to have gotten. Duchene has been the second best free agent center on the market in several years. The only better one would have been Tavares but he wasn’t going anywhere except Toronto. I suppose we could have made a trade for O’reilly but the at the time of that trade Turris seemed like he could maybe work as our 2C. Not to mention O’reilly was seen as a big risk when that trade occurred too. I’m ready to move on from Poile just because I think you need a fresh perspective sometimes, but I also have a hard time faulting him for most of the individual moves he has made.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
What I expect to happen is Poile to get "promoted in the off-season to an advisory roll and a new GM to come in to make roster decisions.

If the Preds lose tonight, I think Hynes is fired.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I’m not really sure what other centers we were supposed to have gotten. Duchene has been the second best free agent center on the market in several years. The only better one would have been Tavares but he wasn’t going anywhere except Toronto. I suppose we could have made a trade for O’reilly but the at the time of that trade Turris seemed like he could maybe work as our 2C. Not to mention O’reilly was seen as a big risk when that trade occurred too. I’m ready to move on from Poile just because I think you need a fresh perspective sometimes, but I also have a hard time faulting him for most of the individual moves he has made.
Probably could have been in on Seguin, but I don't think we had the assets. I think we'd just traded the closest analogue we had to Loui Eriksson in Erat and I doubt Hornqvist would have been enough. Our 1st that year would have been Jones. If we swap Seguin in for Johansen, do we wind up any better? I know what I'd prefer to have done now (which probably also involves letting Weber go to Philly on that stupid-ass contract and taking the four 1st rounders--though those probably all bust for us or end up as 3rd/4th liners).

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I was still so disappointed that we didn't get Barkov in the draft. He was projected to us at#4 the whole time and if not it would be Drouin (that would have sucked), and Jones was supposed to go #1... then we know how that went. Drafting Barkov would have gotten us a better player than Johansen, a true #1, and have him cost controlled for a long time.

Then again, it's Nashville, so Barkov probably tops out at 60 points here.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was still so disappointed that we didn't get Barkov in the draft. He was projected to us at#4 the whole time and if not it would be Drouin (that would have sucked), and Jones was supposed to go #1... then we know how that went. Drafting Barkov would have gotten us a better player than Johansen, a true #1, and have him cost controlled for a long time.

Barkov would have been another Legwand for us... which, still, ain't so bad. Still net better than Johansen?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What I expect to happen is Poile to get "promoted in the off-season to an advisory roll and a new GM to come in to make roster decisions.

If the Preds lose tonight, I think Hynes is fired.
I imagine they'll give him at least the Detroit series first. But that's "imagine"... the cynical voice in my head says he's our head coach this entire season, even if we lose every single game the rest of the way. :S

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Barkov being taken in front of Jones was really no surprise. It was a GM choice Florida needed both a 1C and a 1D so in 13 they took Barkov and the next year Ekblad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad