Who would you have drafted?

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
20 - Rubtsov
46 - Girard or Clague(Dahlen was who I REALLY wanted in the 2nd. We'll see how that works out for Ottawa. Smith isn't a bad choice since we took a D in the first)
53 - Niemeläinen (Hronek is fine. He just wasn't on my radar)
107 - Moverare or Carlsson
137 - Sambrook is fine with me.
167 - Tim Wahlgren or Vladimir Kuznetsov, but a token goalie is fine.
197 - See above, but a Hakan special is just fine.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Meh, I'm pretty happy with keeping all their picks, looks like a promising draft. The Swede in the 4th round seems underwhelming but gotta throw Hakan a couple bones.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wanted a defenseman in the first round as well. But with Chychrun, Fabbro, and Stanely going in picks 16-19 I'm not sure he best option was taking a defenseman at 20.

If I wanted a defenseman I would have stayed at 16 and taken Chychrun or Fabbro.

Clague is actually very similar to Cholowski, IMO.
I have to trust our scouts on this one for now. I really like what I see and hear from Cholowski. If the scouts didn't absolutely love Chychrun/Fabbro then it was the right move to trade down, getting rid of the Datsyuk contract and adding Hronek in the process.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have to trust our scouts on this one for now. I really like what I see and hear from Cholowski. If the scouts didn't absolutely love Chychrun/Fabbro then it was the right move to trade down, getting rid of the Datsyuk contract and adding Hronek in the process.

Time will tell, I like what Wright has done so far. Actually really like the Hronek pick, and Givani seems like a really good kid that could become a fan favorite.

I like the draft for the most part, just think it is fun to kick around who you would have picked if you have been following the draft the last few months.

Can't believe Noah Gregor made it to the 4th for example, and Sokolov is a very intriguing talent to be able to get in the 6th round.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is a tough one. I am generally pretty satisfied with the draft class although I know next to nothing about the Swedes we took this year. Cholowski was arguably the best defensemen left on the board at 20 and I can understand the pick. Had you, however, asked me on Friday what to do, I would have said:

20. Rubtsov (again, no real issues with Cholowski).
46. Clague (I like the Smith pick a lot though. I said it when he was drafted: stylistically we need more players like him in the organization).
53. Hronek (I asked for him on draft day and am thrilled about the pick. Green was other player I would have like here).
107. Stillman (I know nothing about Malmstrom though)
137. Sanbrook
167. Sokolov (would have also considered Mattinen. I am not a goalie guy).
197. Elfstrom (would have also considered Michael Graham).

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Just me alone at the table without Hakan or any experts:

20. Rubtsov
46. Adam Fox
53. Cam Dineen
107. Noah Gregor
137. Connor Bleakley
167. David Quenville
197. Brayden Chizen 6'6" to compensate all the small D I monopolized

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The one thing I would have done is made an effort to move up to draft Juolevi or Sergachev. So I would have offered something like:

Nyquist or Tatar + Mantha + 16OA to move up to draft Juolevi.
Nyquist or Tatar or Mantha + 16OA to move up to draft Sergachev.

Once Bean was gone my only goal was to go heavy on offensive defensemen which we did. From 20 on it's pretty much a crapshoot so I didn't feel really strongly about anyone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The one thing I would have done is made an effort to move up to draft Juolevi or Sergachev. So I would have offered something like:

Nyquist or Tatar + Mantha + 16OA to move up to draft Juolevi.
Nyquist or Tatar or Mantha + 16OA to move up to draft Sergachev.

Once Bean was gone my only goal was to go heavy on offensive defensemen which we did. From 20 on it's pretty much a crapshoot so I didn't feel really strongly about anyone.

Those trades would have been gross, gross overpayments to move up for those two. Juolevi and Sergachev are nice players, but aren't nearly as strong as the top defensemen in the last three draft classes.

If you want to use those assets to acquire a young defensemen, make sure you are getting someone more established than those two.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
20: German Rubtsov (C)
46: Givani Smith (Really like the pick) (RW)
53: Adam Fox (D)
107: Lucas Carlson (D)
137:Conner Bleackley (C)
167: Tyler Wall (late round goalie pick plus his last name is wall, who doesn't want a wall in net?) (G)
197: Mattias Elfstrom (D)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Those trades would have been gross, gross overpayments to move up for those two. Juolevi and Sergachev are nice players, but aren't nearly as strong as the top defensemen in the last three draft classes.

If you want to use those assets to acquire a young defensemen, make sure you are getting someone more established than those two.

The goal isn't to say you kicked the tires and came up empty handed yet again. The goal is to acquire a #1 d-man, the one piece that is truly holding the entire organization back. So you make a very compelling offer. Then you wait a couple years and see if the guy you drafted turns into a true #1. You're not getting a #1 d-man via trade and this organization has already proven they can't draft and develop a d-man with our typical low drafting position.

I'm glad you agree those offers would have likely landed us Juolevi or Sergachev. Now we wait and see how their careers develop and how Nyquist, Tatar and Mantha do over the next 3-5 years. :popcorn:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Should have taken Chychrun at 16.

The only way I will be happy is if we end up getting Stamkos, otherwise should have taken Chychrun at 16.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I liked our draft... I'm just happy that we heavily addressed the defense, instead of picking a bunch of wingers.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Hey guys

I'm sorta newer to the site and sorta wanted to introduce myself first to my fellow wing fans. First off, love you all just for the common love of the greatest franchise in sports. Second off, I want to see who you guys woulda picked at number 20. Sorry if it was done before.

I am content with the pick but I might of picked Rubstov.

Have a good one fellas

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah at that point my two main ideas were either Rubstov or trade back again and get another of those 2nd/3rd round D. That being said since the Cholowski pick I've looked into him much more than I had before the draft, but I'm a fan now. Fabbro was my guy going into the draft and comparing them now I honestly think Cholowski is pretty much on par with him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Welcome!

I too would have probably went with Rubtsov at that point. But, in hindsight I'm very happy with the Cholo pick and would've made it at 20 regardless.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I would have traded down, and tried to pick Lucas Johansen. I'm not sold at all on Cholowski. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the pick.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Perhaps if Detroit had known for sure that Stamkos wasn't an option, they might have eat Dats Salary, but Cholowski's rise over the last 12 month has been very impressive. I guess growing nearly 6 inches in a year without losing any co-ordination or speed doesn't hurt. Apparently may yet put on another inch or two, which would be a real bonus.

All the development camp reports have the kid as being off the charts smart in terms of positioning and gap control, and Todd Nelson says he has pro-level passing already. Plus the guy gives a really impressive interview for one of his age.

Can he bulk up without losing agility/speed? If so, he's got a lot to offer. He was identified late on as late 1st round sleeper...

Would probably have preferred Luke Green at 53, but our boy has pro experience already. Gregor or Moverare in the 4th would have been nice, but maybe only because the kid we picked is an unknown. Sokolov or Kuznetsov would have been my choice in the 6th, just because I think we don't need another goalie till next year and the Czech guy at the development camp could be an option down the road.

As ever, with so many unexpectedly high picks its hard to get a handle on things, but considering the last one to go to us much higher than anticipated was little bert, and his trajectory has been one of a steep incline, there are reasons for optimism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad