Music: Who Would You Add to the Library of Congress?

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
BobMarley%26theWailersNattyDread.jpg

Pick your greatest music artist of all time whose name does not come up in search and add an album or song by them. I'll take Bob Marley's Natty Dread album (Remastered). I'm listening to the great Commodores song Brick House. ;) Here's the link: Complete National Recording Registry Listing - National Recording Preservation Board | Programs | Library of Congress

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't really get the rules/criteria (some artists in the list do have more than one, but not many). Is it just based on what's influential/historically significant or what's great?

I see Trout Mask Replica in there, which really throws me off.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I don't really get the rules/criteria (some artists in the list do have more than one, but not many).
Pick your greatest music artist of all time whose name does not come up in search and add an album or song by them.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
not one but a few

Lenny Bruce
Isley Brothers
Nina Simone
Led Zeppelin
Waylon Jennings
Townes Van Zandt

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pick your greatest music artist of all time whose name does not come up in search and add an album or song by them.
Is the "by an artist that doesn't already appear in the search" part of the real criteria, or just something you thought would be fun to restrict for the purpose of this thread?

I'll go with Here Come the Warm Jets (Brian Eno) and also Tago Mago (Can)

Last edited:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Is the "by an artist that doesn't already appear in the search" part of the real criteria, or just something you thought would be fun to restrict for the purpose of this thread?

Just something I thought would be fun.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Here Come the Warm Jets is your favorite Eno record now?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I don't really get the rules/criteria (some artists in the list do have more than one, but not many). Is it just based on what's influential/historically significant or what's great?

I see Trout Mask Replica in there, which really throws me off.
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart,very strange that's in there.It's actually a good album, it's one of the weirdest albums ever made.It was a very unconventional album the way it was produced in the studio,Frank Zappa produced it but was frustrated by Beefhearts bizarre recording demands like recording each instrument in a different room and deadening the drums with cardboard. It sounds like total trash the first couple of listens, than sounds interesting after a few more.Unique album for sure.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Wow,no John Zorn?One of the most prolific musician/producers of our time with many of his own labels.Check out Naked City and the Big Gundown:John Zorn plays the music of Ennio Morricone.He co-owns a label with Mike Patton of Faith No More,Patton and Zorn are in Mr.bungle,another one to check out.John Zorn - Wikipedia

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart,very strange that's in there.It's actually a good album, it's one of the weirdest albums ever made.It was a very unconventional album the way it was produced in the studio,Frank Zappa produced it but was frustrated by Beefhearts bizarre recording demands like recording each instrument in a different room and deadening the drums with cardboard. It sounds like total trash the first couple of listens, than sounds interesting after a few more.Unique album for sure.
Yep. You're preaching to the converted-- I think it's a full blown masterpiece. Just didn't expect the inclusion.
Here Come the Warm Jets is your favorite Eno record now?
Yeah, I was going to post in the last album thread, but it's really continued to skyrocket for me over the last little while. In fact, it's getting really close to becoming my favorite album of all time now. I think it's his most pure, unbridled, inspired, and liberating work, and I've completely lost any reservations I had about there being one or two tracks that I had a tougher time with or it being harsh on the ears. It's pretty much everything I can possibly ask for in an album.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yep. You're preaching to the converted-- I think it's a full blown masterpiece. Just didn't expect the inclusion.Yeah, I was going to post in the last album thread, but it's really continued to skyrocket for me over the last little while. In fact, it's getting really close to becoming my favorite album of all time now. I think it's his most pure, unbridled, inspired, and liberating work, and I've completely lost any reservations I had about there being one or two tracks that I had a tougher time with or it being harsh on the ears. It's pretty much everything I can possibly ask for in an album.

Oh wow. I've got it firmly above Taking Tiger Mountain but depending on mood, I could alternate it with Another Green World. What are you favorites from the album at this point? My love for the title track has grown a lot recently. I actually heard it played on CBC radio a couple of months back. It was a pleasant surprise.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also, not sure why people are surprised by a Beefheart induction. He's incredibly famous to anyone who's scratched below a shallow surface/didn't pigeonhole themselves within one niche and Trout Mask Replica is regularly included in best of all time lists. He actually had a Rolling Stones cover in 68-69.

Edit: Oups, I guess that was just Sharee.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Can't pick just one haha. Outside of a few already mentioned (Tago Mago in particular):

Sweet Trip - velocity:design:comfort.
Eno - Another Green World
Stereolab - Dots and Loops

Reactions: Amerika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad